Umbraco RestApi wrapper

Aaron Powell

Jun 18, 2015, 7:11:14 AM6/18/15
to umbra...@googlegroups.com

I’ve been playing around with the RestApi that Shan and Per demoed at CG15 and as simple as HAL is to consume there’s a bit over boilerplate overhead to deal with so I’m toying with the idea of creating a thin wrapper over it.

I just pushed my prototype/idea to GitHub under uRested (get it!! :P) - https://github.com/aaronpowell/uRested

Anyone else interested I’d love to be in touch to do some collaboration.

Shannon Deminick

Jun 18, 2015, 7:46:14 AM6/18/15
to umbra...@googlegroups.com, m...@aaron-powell.com
I haven't tried generating swagger files with this REST Api but I would assume that would be possible, from there we can use Auto-Rest (https://github.com/Azure/AutoRest) to generate the code. I've never tried this in practice so I'm not sure how well it will work with these new REST Api's but would be worth a try?

Richard Terris

Jun 18, 2015, 7:50:00 AM6/18/15
to umbra...@googlegroups.com
@slace I could be interested in collaborating on this, depending how quick you want to go.

ping me an email if you like and we can have a chat

Shannon Deminick

Jun 18, 2015, 7:52:50 AM6/18/15
to umbra...@googlegroups.com, richar...@gmail.com
I haven't dug too deep in the code on the HAL browser we were using but I would assume they might have some boilerplate code that you could borrow too:

Aaron Powell

Jun 18, 2015, 7:53:08 AM6/18/15
to umbra...@googlegroups.com

I haven’t looked much at Swagger either but I’m very wary of code generators, they can make some… interesting code. And I say that as someone who’s written quite a few and even a couple on Umbraco ;)

Aaron Powell

Jun 18, 2015, 7:56:01 AM6/18/15
to umbra...@googlegroups.com

I’m happy enough to either discuss on here or on the GitHub issues, allows others to also observe easily J

Jun 18, 2015, 7:59:45 AM6/18/15
to umbra...@googlegroups.com

By boilerplate I was meaning making the AJAX calls, having a smart object graph to walk, etc.

Just the boring code that you have to write to consume an API in a SPA :P

I haven't dug too deep in the code on the HAL browser we were using but I would assume they might have some boilerplate code that you could borrow too:

Richard Terris

Jun 18, 2015, 8:13:14 AM6/18/15
to umbra...@googlegroups.com
Ok

First step for me is to have a bit of a play around which I'll try to do at the weekend, no time before then.