Is this place still alive/needed?

Pete Duncanson

Jun 16, 2015, 7:09:09 AM6/16/15
to umbra...@googlegroups.com
One thing I noticed before/during and after Code Garden 2015 is the complete lack of any action on this forum. In years past it would be a hive (no pun intended) of activity and ideas, follow up conversations and things that needing discussing.

Is this still the right forum for what it was intended to do? Is it promoted enough or do we just have the old guard who joined in the year/code garden it was created as members?

Pete

Aaron Powell

Jun 16, 2015, 7:21:51 AM6/16/15
to umbra...@googlegroups.com

As an infrequent user of Our I don’t know if it has replaced what happen(ed) on here, I can only speak from the perspective of why I set it up.

The goals were:

·         Somewhere to discuss development of the Core as opposed of development in Umbraco (which Our is for)

·         Somewhere to discuss the roadmap

·         Visibility about what HQ/core contributors are working on

We must remember that this was in a very different era:

·         Code was on CodePlex

·         I’m not sure there was YouTrack

·         We’d just killed v5

·         The community was lacking trust

Now, as I said, I’m an infrequent Our user so maybe Our is filling some of the goals that I had when creating it, but I don’t think so.

So if this isn’t where things like core development, roadmap, futures, etc are discussed is there somewhere else?

I don’t think YouTrack is the answer, I’ve never found it (on Umbraco or elsewhere) good for discussions, it’s more just a plain issue tracking system. Maybe turning on GitHub issues would be better, maybe not.

I probably haven’t really answered any questions except to add more questions, but that’s my ~0.02c.

Morten Bock

Jun 16, 2015, 8:24:49 AM6/16/15
to umbra...@googlegroups.com
My understanding of a "Core Mailinglist", which I think this was supposed to be, is that it would be the main channel for communication between core devs.

However, HQ does not seem to be using this list in that way, so it feels more like a community sidecar to HQ's internal communication.

I know it is not easy to do, but it would be great if HQ's main discussions around the core were on an open channel (here, Slack, whatever). That would allow us to be up to date, as well as provide feedback/experience on whatever the HQ might be working on for the core.

If the HQ/Core team do not primarily communicate in writing, that of course becomes even more difficult :)

Do any of you have experience from how other similar OS projects do this?

Shannon Deminick

Jun 16, 2015, 8:41:26 AM6/16/15
to umbra...@googlegroups.com, mor...@mortenbock.dk
It is a good place for Core development discussions and it is a separate audience than that of Our. I agree that any Core proposals or discussions should go up on this board. That doesn't mean that this board is ever going to be extremely busy since as others noted, we do have other avenues to discuss Core things and in a lot of cases those discussions take place on YouTrack if they are specific to a single feature or issue. I don't think this board is dead, but we should definitely use it better than we have been in the past year.

Aaron Powell

Jun 16, 2015, 8:57:05 AM6/16/15
to umbra...@googlegroups.com

>> Do any of you have experience from how other similar OS projects do this?

Let’s take a look at two big OSS projects in two different spaces, ASP.Net 5 and Node.js/io.js. One thing that I think both of these projects do very well is the ‘fly on the wall’ meeting. Once a week the ASPNet team do a ‘community standup’ which is a Google Hangout that anyone can dial into, ask questions, etc. The io.js team have a similar approach where they publish a report semi-frequently containing the ‘state of play’ (I think they also have Google Hangouts people can join which the SoP comes from, but I’m not 100% sure).

Now these aren’t the only interactions they have, there’s GH issues, PR’s, etc, but ultimately what you get from these is a window into the project, the ability to view and/or participate in discussions and ultimately be more informed.

Maybe that’s an option, broadcast sprint planning for the sprint.

I’m not a huge fan of something like Slack for this kind of discussion as you tend to lose context very quickly in IM chat, it works better for direct support, which Our is still a better option again (the idea of archived support).

Richard Chamorro

Jun 17, 2015, 12:21:35 PM6/17/15
to umbra...@googlegroups.com
Orchard CMS, one of Umbraco "competitors", do also have a nice weekly podcast where they do demos, bug triage and talk about the project. I think it is a really good tool for the community so there is more transparency, we can contribute and know where Umbraco is heading...