Media type changing

Jeremy Read

Feb 17, 2015, 4:38:51 PM2/17/15
to umbra...@googlegroups.com
Currently Umbraco has a doc type changer, however no UI is exposed to change a media type.
It looks like it would be fairly easily to implement (since the API calls are already there and most of the code is identical), however, I've just noticed U4 6183 has been fixed and due in 7.2.2 (Only allow change document type to types that would allow the existing children to be created under them).

I think this fix might have some unintended consequences.

Often we get users who upload media as an image because they're using the doc creation drag/drop interface (which auto creates as a media type of image which you could argue is another bug [it looks like most people work around this by hooking into Saved and checking the parent media container allowed types]).

But with U4 6183 if an editor makes a mistake and uses the wrong doc/media type they won't be able to fix it (in most real world cases).
Since Folder most likely won't allow BannerImage (for example), they won't be able to convert to BannerImage and then move it.
In theory site developers could create a "All things allowed transfer container" to get around this but that seems like a hack to me, and involves lots of editor steps.

Should the move node command be merged with doc type / media type switcher? So that a user selects a destination (even the same folder) and it asks the user whether they want to switch type?