Cutting the fat - Umbraco Release Filesizes

Lee Kelleher

Jan 21, 2015, 8:06:47 AM1/21/15
to umbra...@googlegroups.com
Since I've been maintaining an (unofficial) archive of the release zip files, I've noticed the filesize steadily increase.  See the following graph:

I know many will say "disk-space is cheap" or "who cares?"  For me it raises the questions: What are we shipping with default Umbraco? Do we need to look at cutting the fat?

The issue tracker has tickets for removing various legacy code for the v8.0 release - which would bring down the DLL sizes - so we know that's already on the cards.

Other places to review...?
  • 3rd party DLL dependencies - do we *need* CookComputing.XmlRpcV2.dll, HtmlAgilityPack.dll, Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.Data.dll, TidyNet.dll, UrlRewritingNet.UrlRewriter.dll, et al? Could our dependencies be refactored?
  • XML docs (in the /bin folder - for both Core and 3rd party) - great for Visual Studio, maybe ship with NuGet package only?
  • Legacy images - e.g. 7.x still ships the v4/v6 tray images. (I get nostalgic too)
  • Umbraco_Client folder - how do we know what is being used?

I can raise specific tickets on the issue tracker, but wanted to align with community/core-team before doing so.

Cheers,
- Lee

Robert Foster

Jan 21, 2015, 8:11:32 AM1/21/15
to umbra...@googlegroups.com

One thing that @pgregorynz noticed last week was the amount of .less source files included in the release (Nuget package probably) of current builds…  This certainly wouldn’t be helping…

-          Rob.

This email message and any attachments are confidential and subject to copyright. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, interference with, disclosure or copying of the material, is prohibited and unauthorised. If you receive this email in error, please advise our offices on 03 5282 4246 and delete this email and any attachments immediately.

Thank you.

Aaron Powell

Jan 21, 2015, 9:00:08 PM1/21/15
to umbra...@googlegroups.com

If there’s dll’s that are unused dropping them is a good idea, it’ll decrease app startup time and overall memory usage.

Stephen Gay

Jan 22, 2015, 5:44:36 AM1/22/15
to umbra...@googlegroups.com
I'm all for removing whatever is not required to run Umbraco.
We probably add stuff, and seldom consider what can be removed.
So if anybody has time to try and figure out what can be removed... all the best.
Stephan

Lee Kelleher

Jan 22, 2015, 5:51:29 AM1/22/15
to umbra...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the replies.  I'll gather some info and open relevant tickets.

Shannon Deminick

Jan 23, 2015, 1:55:03 AM1/23/15
to umbra...@googlegroups.com
There will be PLENTY of code/files/etc... cleaned up in v8. There's a ton of tasks in there already for v8 cleanup and a lot of it has already started. We'll be trying to remove nearly all of the legacy DLLs and hopefully ship with only a few umbraco specific DLLs. The umbraco_client folder will hopefully not even exist along with tons of the client files in the /umbraco folder. We'll be looking at the dll dependencies the project has and might be able to remove a few, we'll see how it goes.