Rtl-Sdr output to MP3 -- Mentor Needed (linux)

soli...@sailingofftheedge.com

May 8, 2016, 7:50:59 AM5/8/16
to Ultra Cheap SDR
Glad to find this forum, and hoping to find a Mentor to hold my hand thru setting up a regular audio feed via a RTL-SDR receiver. I am a net controler on the Boot Key Harbor Cruisers Net (Marathon Fl) and we have been discussing the possibility of at the very least archiving the daily 0900 Cruisers Net and possibly streaming it live in the future if we can find a net controler with enough bandwidth.

The net runs on VHF (marine) Channel 68... 156.425Mhz I have purchased a RTL-SDR.com kit and since my "spare" VHF antenna is bork, have been running the included antenna at the aproximately correct length to get a decent signal via GQRX running on a linux laptop (Navigatrix/Ubuntu) Succesfully recorded a partial session this morning to a .wav file using the option to record in GQRX then later converting the .wav to an .mp3 using Audacity for a smaller file size.

Not really a linux weenie (although not scared of bash scripts and the command line) and know just enough about SDR to get in trouble. Given tbe above set up (single freq, set broadcast time, duration 10 min to 1 hr depending on season) does anyone have any suggestions as to an optimal way to do this? Possibly a command line interface piped to a wav/mp3 conversion? Current setup would work as is, but a lot of goofing around to end up with a mp3 for the days net we can upload to the server.

TIA for any help, suggestions, and support

David
Onboard S/V Solitaire
Boot Key Harbor

Sylvain AZARIAN

May 8, 2016, 8:07:43 AM5/8/16
to ultra-c...@googlegroups.com

Hi

Give a try to my sdr program gksdr that records to mp3 , with no recording if signal below squelch and dual receiver...

www.f4gkr.org

Doc is in french but program has english ui. Currently only available for windows but can provide you with linux installer, i am too lazy to pack the binary packages

Best

Sylvain AZARIAN

May 8, 2016, 8:18:41 AM5/8/16
to ultra-c...@googlegroups.com
I should add that current release integrates a map and already spots airliners using embedded ADSB decoder (needs to usb dongles)
next release (under work) integrates AIS decoder and will report ships on the same map

soli...@sailingofftheedge.com

May 9, 2016, 8:28:04 AM5/9/16
to Ultra Cheap SDR

Good Morning from Boot Key Harbor

Tks for the suggestion, but am going to stick with native linux as eventually we hope to move this project to a pi 2 or 3.

Current status:  running rtl_fm (to demodulate) piped to sox for audio stream or saving as mp3 file.

Tks again, and still open to suggestions

David

Larry Dighera

May 10, 2016, 9:19:43 AM5/10/16
to ultra-c...@googlegroups.com