Re: [ultra-cheap-sdr] Digest for ultra-cheap-sdr@googlegroups.com - 1 update in 1 topic

Joni Ellen

May 12, 2016, 8:15:42 AM5/12/16
to ultra-c...@googlegroups.com
One possible solution:
I am running 'Pulse Audio Control' which can be made to route the computer audio output to the recording input.  Then use 'Audacity' to record.  In Audacity, using a project rate of 8,000 and saving as an MP3 at 8kbps/constant bit rate/mono would give you plenty of record time using an external drive and reasonably OK voice audio.

Although these programs run in a windowed environment I believe that they can also be called on the command line.

I haven't tried running an SDR and these other 2 programs on a PI, all at the same time, you may experience some runtime bandwidth problems.   Certainly I would use the latest PI version which is supposed to be fairly fast.    I have run Audacity on an older version PI and it worked fine but I suspect it was taxing the processor.

On Thu, May 12, 2016 at 1:15 AM, <ultra-c...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Robby Balona <ro...@grab.co.za>: May 11 12:08AM -0700

Hi All

Does anybody know of software that runs on raspberry pi command line that
records wav/mp3 files when there is traffic on a frequency. I want to
record radio chatter at our local flying club and don't want
to run a desktop on the raspberry pi.

I have tried various rtl_fm with sox and apaly but cant get it to work
where it records a file per chatter. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Robby