New application

John Brownie

Oct 17, 2017, 9:05:57 PM10/17/17
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
I've made available a new application which is intended as a companion
application for Ukelele. It's called Keyboard Juggler, and is a simple
application to allow you to move keyboard layouts in and out of the
installation folders without having to use the Finder. It's available
for download from the Ukelele page, http://scripts.sil.org/ukelele.

It's a 1.0 release, so may have some bugs in it. There is not much
documentation, but it is intended to be very simple and not need much.

John
--
John Brownie
SIL-PNG, Ukarumpa, Eastern Highlands, Papua New Guinea

Gé van Gasteren

Oct 19, 2017, 8:15:14 AM10/19/17
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
That’s a wonderful little app, John, and I absolutely love the icon!

Managing the layouts like this is a great tool, and a great boon will also be the introduction of the work folder concept.

The Juggler was put to good use immediately: I removed some layouts installed long ago for testing purposes, which I had left there just because I’m lazy and didn’t want to scour "all the possible places" for them.

And then, while I was experimenting, I discovered that it might be good to have a way to restore the default folder for uninstalled keyboard layouts:
I dragged over one keyboard layout to uninstall it, then saw that the default location wasn’t a great place (but didn’t get a good look at it) and changed the path with the "Set Folder" button, then couldn’t find the uninstalled keyboard layout anymore :)

Just one thought: I guess you had good reasons for making it stand-alone, but I keep thinking: Why not integrate this with Ukelele’s File/Install command?

Tom Gewecke

Oct 19, 2017, 8:59:26 AM10/19/17
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Someone over at stackexchange has posted a fix for a possible problem with custom layouts I had not seen before. I post it here in case it is of interest to this group:

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/300606/keyboard-layout-keeps-reverting-since-upgrade-to-high-sierra

John Brownie

Oct 22, 2017, 9:32:20 PM10/22/17
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
The default folder for uninstalled keyboard layouts is simply your Documents folder. I needed a folder which was guaranteed to exist, and that seemed best. I guess that the Desktop might be another alternative. Anyway, I can put a reset command in.

As to why it's a separate application, I was wanting to move away from the mechanism used for authenticating in Ukelele, which may disappear in a future version of macOS. For simplicity, I made a simple application to test it out in practice. There are some thorny issues with open files and moving them around the file system, especially when they may go into one of the folders that the operating system is monitoring, so I'm playing safe at present and keeping them separate. I may also remove the install function from Ukelele, as it may run into the same issue that the OS might get a file that is currently being modified. All very difficult to try to make it failsafe!

John
19 October 2017 at 22:14
[...]

18 October 2017 at 11:05
I've made available a new application which is intended as a companion application for Ukelele. It's called Keyboard Juggler, and is a simple application to allow you to move keyboard layouts in and out of the installation folders without having to use the Finder. It's available for download from the Ukelele page, http://scripts.sil.org/ukelele.

It's a 1.0 release, so may have some bugs in it. There is not much documentation, but it is intended to be very simple and not need much.

John

Gé van Gasteren

Oct 23, 2017, 2:56:56 AM10/23/17
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Aha, of course.

Just an idea: I guess it’s possible to run another app from Ukelele. Then what you could do when the user chooses "Install" is 1. remember the files being edited; 2. close all of them; 3. run the Juggler, and 4. upon closing the Juggler reopen the files. Then it could feel like it’s one application, and maybe they could even be in the same file.

Or simpler: Upon "Install" close Ukelele, run Juggler, and in Juggler have a command named "Return to Ukelele".

However, I’m not sure what you mean by "open files". I’m assuming that’s "files open in Ukelele", but maybe active keyboard layouts, or the one currently in use, are open, too?