Dead key character outputs twice in some editors

julian

Dec 2, 2017, 11:52:44 PM12/2/17
to Ukelele Users
I'm using the Workman-Dead layout, where the comma key is the dead key.  I've found that in one editor (Sublime) when I try to type a comma by pressing the comma key, then pressing the space bar (which is comma in dead mode) I get one comma.  This is the correct behavior.  IntelliJ doesn't behave the same.  In IntelliJ, an initial comma appears when I hit the dead key, but it's not replaced by the comma from pressing the space key.  Instead I get two adjacent commas.

Has anyone had experience with this sort of behavior?  I'd be very grateful for any suggestions on how to fix it, investigate it further.  Thanks much!

Gé van Gasteren

Dec 3, 2017, 8:16:53 AM12/3/17
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Hi Julian,

Thanks for the detailed description of the problem.

I suspect IntelliJ’s feature of code completion, or some other feature that monitors your typing, is the culprit, in that it catches the comma input before it reaches the stage where the keyboard layout is queried.
If so, the solution would be to move that dead key to a different key.
So yes, Ukelele is probably what you need!
You could look into a table of code completion lookups to check if the comma is indeed an escape character of some sort – and to see which other keys might give similar troubles.

On 3 December 2017 at 05:52, julian <lagos...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm using the Workman-Dead layout, where the comma key is the dead key.  I've found that in one editor (Sublime) when I try to type a comma by pressing the comma key, then pressing the space bar (which is comma in dead mode) I get one comma.  This is the correct behavior.  IntelliJ doesn't behave the same.  In IntelliJ, an initial comma appears when I hit the dead key, but it's not replaced by the comma from pressing the space key.  Instead I get two adjacent commas.

Has anyone had experience with this sort of behavior?  I'd be very grateful for any suggestions on how to fix it, investigate it further.  Thanks much!

Sorin Paliga

Dec 3, 2017, 9:59:46 AM12/3/17
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Some apps have their internal/custom feature(s) to deal with commans, periods, semicolons etc. Briefly, those punctuation marks located on the right side of the keyboard. Other apps do not have this feature. Check whether there is smth like that in the settings.

julian

julian

julian

Dec 3, 2017, 2:43:35 PM12/3/17
to Ukelele Users
I took a look into and experimented with IntelliJ's settings, as per Sorin and Gé's suggestions, but wasn't able to solve the issue.

I think I'll post on IntelliJ's forums as well.

Also, is it possible to change the dead key to a key combination, using Ukelele?  I was thinking maybe making the dead key shift+comma.