Can't get custom layouts working in macOS Sierra

Jani Tiainen

Apr 24, 2017, 11:54:24 AM4/24/17
to Ukelele Users
Hi,

Ukelele tool itself looks very promising but I can't get custom layouts working at all. I can create one, change the keys and I see new layout in keyboard preferences but changes done to layout doesn't have any effect.

Tried logging off and rebooting.

Using latest macOS Sierra 10.12.4.

--

Jani Tiainen

Sorin Paliga

Apr 24, 2017, 12:18:32 PM4/24/17
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Can you be more specific? What are the steps you follow. They are
1a. Create a totally new keylayout (nor recommended if you at the beginning) or
1b. Start from an existing keyboard layout, which means either one in the system or one in the folder downloaded with UKELELE. In both cases, you MUST save the new keylayout somewhere on the disk.
2 Make the changes, including a new ID and a new name., if starting from an existing keylayout
3. Install it, i.e. move it or, better, a copy of it to /Library/Keyboard Layouts.
4. Restart the computer.
5. Go to system preferences/keyboard and activate it.

Sorin Paliga, Ph.D.
Univ. din București / Univ. of Bucharest
Catedra de Limbi Slave / Dept. of Slavic Languages
București / Bucharest, România

Jani Tiainen

Jani Tiainen

Apr 24, 2017, 12:55:23 PM4/24/17
to Ukelele Users
... Not sure what I did but magically my keyboard layout started to work...

Gé van Gasteren

Apr 24, 2017, 3:29:22 PM4/24/17
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Hello Jani,

My guess is that you didn’t change the internal/System name of the keyboard layout, which is point 2 in Sorin’s list:
2 … including a new ID and a new name., if starting from an existing keylayout

That is done inside Ukelele (not in the Finder!) over the command Keyboard/Set Keyboard Name and Script…

Just imagine you wanted to share it with others, then the name on the flag menu should be different from that of the original unchanged keyboard layout, so that both could be installed and active at the same time without creating confusion.
Actually, it would be good to change the icon as well, but that is more for comfort, not for avoiding conflicts in the OS or confusion among users.