XKB - Gravely OFF-TOPIC ...

Serkhang

Apr 15, 2016, 9:37:24 AM4/15/16
to Ukelele Users
... but you are somewhat of my last resort  among those experienced with input systems. Are there, by chance, group members with skills in the management of XKB layouts under Linux?

I'm trying to adapt my Lepcha keyboard layout to Linux and would require some help in the implementation of a compose key (multy_key).

Best thanks in advance.

Sorin Paliga

Apr 15, 2016, 9:45:33 AM4/15/16
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
This is one of the most complicated ways in Linux, I have the feeling those, who implemented XKB tried to find something so complicated, that only superhumans may do it.
If you do not really need Linux, perhaps it is better to abandon this project. But maybe I am wrong.

Serkhang

Apr 15, 2016, 11:42:52 AM4/15/16
to Ukelele Users
Best thanks for the warning. Anyway, I got it perfectly working ... should I be proud? :)

It's just that I'd prefer to have the whole thing a bit more user-friendly. I mean, getting the aspirated consonants with ALT + SHIFT may be ok, but it's not really intuitive ...

Sorin Paliga

Apr 15, 2016, 11:47:44 AM4/15/16
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
You could be indeed proud of yourself. Or, perhaps, they have improved the way XKB works. It was a nightmare for me.
Perhaps you could write a tutorial and post it somewhere, this may be useful for many people.

On 15 Apr 2016, at 18:42, Serkhang <serk...@gmail.com> wrote:

Best thanks for the warning. Anyway, I got it perfectly working ... should I be proud? :)

It's just that I'd prefer to have the whole thing a bit more user-friendly. I mean, getting the aspirated consonants with ALT + SHIFT may be ok, but it's not really intuitive ...

Gé van Gasteren

Apr 15, 2016, 11:58:32 AM4/15/16
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Linux is a foreign field for me...
I guess you have been looking around, but I do find some good-looking help online:
http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/147479/swap-symbols-with-numbers-in-keyboard-layout?rq=1

Here seems to be a knowledgeable person, maybe you can contact her directly?
https://www.linux.com/learn/hacking-your-linux-keyboard-xkb

Axel Kielhorn

Apr 16, 2016, 10:11:16 AM4/16/16
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Even if you have solved your port to Linux, you may want to look at:

https://github.com/rrthomas/pointless-xcompose

It contains a lot of information about XKB.

Axel
Message has been deleted

Serkhang

Apr 16, 2016, 1:32:43 PM4/16/16
to Ukelele Users
Best thanks for the link, dear Axel.

I did not know that source. A lot to go through, first of all. And if need be, I may still ask Reuben Thomas for advice.

Serkhang

Apr 30, 2016, 1:05:07 PM4/30/16
to Ukelele Users
Got it working, finally, after stumbling across the appropriate hint.
I had to install the uim framework (Universal Input Method). Since, it's running like a charm.

Best thanks for your support. I'll post a link, once I've written the required tutorial for setup. Just in case, there is another madman attempting to undertake something similar, in future ...

Andrew Cunningham

Apr 30, 2016, 7:10:29 PM4/30/16
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Thanks.
Sorry I couldn't follow up on keyboard issue. I had a car accident last weekend and that has disrupted my schedule

Andrew
> --

Andrew Cunningham
lang.s...@gmail.com

Chopel Serkhangpa

May 1, 2016, 9:21:52 AM5/1/16
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
@Andrew: No problem. The motivational part of your offer shouldn't be
underestimated.

I hope your accident wasn't too bad - affecting the machine only. Take care.
> Google Groups "Ukelele Users" group.
> To unsubscribe from this topic, visit
> https://groups.google.com/d/topic/ukelele-users/jBlah0hh_do/unsubscribe.

Serkhang

Jul 30, 2016, 12:09:13 PM7/30/16
to Ukelele Users
As promised quite some time ago, I'd like to point you to the Rong Kit just completed. Official release will be next week, however, the files are already online at

http://www.siblac.org/lepcha_script.html

Files and instructions for the XKB version of my keyboard layout can be found within the 'Rong Kit for Linux' package.

Best thanks again for your uncomparable support during the whole procedure of development.