Czech and Polish variants of Dvorak

Ash Moran

Oct 13, 2016, 3:47:16 PM10/13/16
to Ukelele Users
Hi

I used Ukulele over a year ago to create a Polish variant of the Dvorak layout. It's quite straightforward as Polish has very few special characters, and I didn't make any optimisations like moving z to a move accessible location.

Now I need to learn Czech and so I've made a Czech variant too. This is a bit more complex as Czech has a lot more diacritics than Polish. Again, I haven't made any optimisations, and I've put characters where it's easier to find them, even if they're not very useful. Eg Ů is shift-ů, even though Ů is almost never used, as the long vowel form of U at the start of a word is written Ú, not Ů. On the other hand I made some things much easier to find – for some reason, the standard Czech layout forces you to hold three modifier keys to type Ř, even though a number of words start with this letter. (Having looked at it, I seriously have no idea how Czech people type on the standard Mac keyboard layout!)

I've put the bundles on GitHub: https://github.com/ashmoran/mac_slavic_dvorak (I probably could have put the layouts in one bundle, I guess.)

I have no idea if these are useful to anyone. Possibly I'm the only person in the world typing Polish and Czech on a Dvorak layout :) But I thought I'd post them here just in case. The CZ one is fresh and I haven't actually typed on it yet (I hardly know any Czech), so it may possibly have problems.

Ukulele has been priceless to me. I discovered when trying to type Polish for the first time that I've lost the ability to type on a QWERTY layout, and using the iOS-like "press and hold" in recent versions of OS X to bring up special characters is agonisingly slow. But it has only taken me a few hours to create each of these, including icons, and the payoff over a year of typing is enormous. So I wanted to say thanks for the work on Ukulele too.

Ash