Swappıng the Turkısh ı for the Latin

Michael Lightfoot

Aug 21, 2017, 10:44:16 AM8/21/17
to Ukelele Users
I just got a new Macbook from Istanbul.

the Turkish " ı " character ıs drıvıng me crazy as ıt ıs ın the same place as the Latın i on the keyboard.

I have been goıng round and round ın cırcles tryıng to re-assıgn the latın i

Can someone please help ? I though thıs would be so sımple wıth Ukelele but I just can't fıgure ıt out :(

Tnx

Sorin Paliga

Aug 21, 2017, 10:48:29 AM8/21/17
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Hello

If the notebook is bought in Turkey, this is normal, just that it is sufficient to change the active keyboard layout from Turkish to the one you are accustomed to, US or UK or else. It is not clear, so:
– specify which is your active keyboard layout?
– why do you want to reassign i, as long as it is sufficient to have US or UK or else keylayout; if you need both, Turkish and US/else, just switch between them. If not let only one active keylayout.
On 21 Aug 2017, at 17:44, Michael Lightfoot <michaeld...@gmail.com> wrote:

I just got a new Macbook from Istanbul.

the Turkish " ı " character ıs drıvıng me crazy as ıt ıs ın the same place as the Latın i on the keyboard.

I have been goıng round and round ın cırcles tryıng to re-assıgn the latın i

Can someone please help ? I though thıs would be so sımple wıth Ukelele but I just can't fıgure ıt out :(

Tnx

Deborah Goldsmith

Aug 21, 2017, 10:49:15 AM8/21/17
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
If you switch to Turkish - QWERTY in System Preferences> Keyboard> Input Sources, it will have the Latin i in the usual place. You are probably using Turkish - QWERTY PC.

Deborah

Sorin Paliga

Aug 21, 2017, 10:52:37 AM8/21/17
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Correct, only the last one, Turkish QWERTY PC has the reported character on key I, but I wonder why he wishes to use the Turkish keylayout, perhaps it would be better to switch to one familiar to him. Some users are perhaps accustomed to have a perfect match of the keys and the chars assigned to them.
On 21 Aug 2017, at 17:49, Deborah Goldsmith <deborah....@gmail.com> wrote:

If you switch to Turkish - QWERTY in System Preferences> Keyboard> Input Sources, it will have the Latin i in the usual place. You are probably using Turkish - QWERTY PC.

Deborah

Michael Lightfoot

Sep 1, 2017, 11:08:35 AM9/1/17
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Deborah, I tried switching to Turkish QWERTY as you suggest, but it is just the same as before. Do I need to do a restart?

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Ukelele Users" group.

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/ukelele-users.

International Education Development Consultant

Cell:-   00 356 9971 7853      (Malta)

           00 44    20 8133 8528 (UK)

           00 992  931246777     (Tajikistan)

 Skype:- michaellightfoot

Confidentiality Notice: The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments may be legally privileged and confidential. If you are not an intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender and permanently delete the e-mail and any attachments immediately. You should not retain, copy or use this e-mail or any attachment for any purpose, nor disclose all or any part of the contents to any other person.

Sorin Paliga

Sep 1, 2017, 11:26:00 AM9/1/17
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
No, if the keylayout is already installed, switching to any of them or activating them does not need a restart, of course. It is not clear to me, at least, why you have this problem. Let us clarify some things.
The physical keyboard of a computer sold in a given country generally corresponds to the standard in that country, therefore yours has a Turkish physical keyboard and the letter on it correspond to the usual keyboard layout in Turkey. You may of course activate any other key layout, e.g. Russian or Korean, just that the letters will not of course correspond to the ones on the keys, you have to memorise them. Your case is a lot simpler, though. If you activate Turkish QWERTY you will have i I at level zero and ı İ if you press Option/Alt key; and the reverse if you activate Turkish QWERTY PC.
There is another problem, though, which occurs to me. What is your main language in the system? Perhaps you get an automatic correction, i.e. you press i I, but you get ı İ. I do not know, this may happen.
I repeat: the physical keyboard (Turkish, in your case) should not impede using any key layout active in the system. It is not clear to me why you do not switch to U.S. or other key layout familiar to you, do you need Turkish key layout too? Please explain. Therefore:
- what is the main language of the system?
- what settings are there for automatic/non-automatic spelling?
– does this happen with any app? e.g. with Mail.app and a text processor, any text processor?
- other relevant details.

Gé van Gasteren

Sep 2, 2017, 1:13:58 AM9/2/17
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Michael,

You wrote that you "tried switching to Turkish QWERTY".

To check whether that switch was successful, you can look at the flag icon in the menu bar: It should show the Turkish flag with a squarish dot underneath (for QWERTY) but without the letters "PC".
Also, when you click on it, the name shown next to the checked flag should be "Turkish - QWERTY".

Do you see that flag icon in the menu bar?
If not, you can activate the option "Show Input menu in menu bar" in System Preferences/Keyboard/Input Sources. (Or similar, depending on OS X version.)

Keep us posted!

On Mon, 21 Aug 2017 at 19:49, Deborah Goldsmith <deborah....@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Michael Lightfoot

Sep 2, 2017, 6:19:02 AM9/2/17