Disk Image Details

Aaron Walton

Sep 28, 2016, 1:04:19 PM9/28/16
to Ukelele Users
Greetings,

When I create I Disk Image from Ukelele I find that I cannot re-arrange the icons in the Disk Image. Is there something I am missing in this regard? Is there a way to do it?

Alternatively, if I try to create a Disk Image manually, I am unsure how to make the proper alias which is directed to "/Library/Keyboard Layout/"; instead, the alias I create is for my own folder "Users/Gertrude/Library/Keyboard Layout". While I have not tried it on another computer, I am under the assumption that it won't work since it has my computer's name in the file-path. How can I create an alias that directs correctly to the User's Library?

For the sake of clarity and fuller documentation, I will include images.
Ukelele Disk Image.png
Desired Disk Image.png

John Brownie

Sep 28, 2016, 1:27:34 PM9/28/16
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com

Aaron Walton wrote:
> When I create I Disk Image from Ukelele I find that I cannot
> re-arrange the icons in the Disk Image. Is there something I am
> missing in this regard? Is there a way to do it?
No, the disk image is immutable, so there's no way to change it after
it's been created.
> Alternatively, if I try to create a Disk Image manually, I am unsure
> how to make the proper alias which is directed to "/Library/Keyboard
> Layout/"; instead, the alias I create is for my own folder
> "Users/Gertrude/Library/Keyboard Layout". While I have not tried it on
> another computer, I am under the assumption that it won't work since
> it has my computer's name in the file-path. How can I create an alias
> that directs correctly to the User's Library?
The Keyboard Layouts link is not an alias, but a symbolic link to
/Library/Keyboard Layouts, so it's going to point at that folder on the
host computer. I don't think that it's possible to create a symbolic
link that points to a user's Library folder, as you can't put a tilde in
(~/Library) and get it expanded on the host machine. Symbolic links are
fully spelt out, not expanded by the shell.

The only other suggestion I have is that you could create an Automator
or AppleScript droplet to move the keyboard layout into the appropriate
directory. I'm no expert on either, but I think it could be done.
--
John Brownie
In Finland on furlough from SIL Papua New Guinea

Aaron Walton

Sep 28, 2016, 1:39:23 PM9/28/16
to Ukelele Users
Thank you for the reply, that information will help me know better what to look for.