Changing "Keyboard Layout Name" doesn't seem to completely work?

Carl Edlund Anderson

Apr 8, 2018, 1:09:35 PM4/8/18
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I’ve just been using Ukelele for the first time in a while, and I created a new key layout “from current input source” using the File menu command. This gave me a keyboard layout collection panel showing the name of the current keyboard layout with the appended tag “copy” — which is all logical enough. However, when I went to change the name (using the Set Keyboard Name and Script… contextual menu command), although I could indeed change the name in the resulting Name and Script panel (and the change there seems persistent), this doesn’t affect what I see in the keyboard layout collection panel, which (under Keyboard Layouts in this collection) still shows the name of the current keyboard layout that I copied, with its appended tag “copy”.

Is there some other non-obvious place from which the keyboard layout collection panel is retaining the copied keyboard layout name?

Cheers,
Carl

Department of Languages & Cultures
Universidad de La Sabana
Chía, Colombia

Behnam Rassi

Apr 8, 2018, 1:12:32 PM4/8/18
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Try changing its identification number as well. I suspect the computer doesn’t see the name but the identification number.
-b

Sorin Paliga

Apr 8, 2018, 1:17:13 PM4/8/18
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
The steps are:

– create a new keylayout, which means ‘from current input source’ too, which is a new keylayout, in fact;
– SAVE the new keylayout somewhere on the disk (use function ‘save’ in UKELELE;
– make all the changes you wish, including a new name and, highly recommended, giving it a new ID, and make the final ‘save’ when ready;
– move the keylayout or a copy of it to /Library/keyboard layouts or the the user level;
– restart
– activate the keylayout.

Carl Edlund Anderson

Apr 8, 2018, 2:55:24 PM4/8/18
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Thanks to Sorin and Behnam — it seems like the trick may have been convincing it to generate new IDs by toggling the script types. Anyway, it seems to be working now!

Thanks again!

Carl

Department of Languages & Cultures
Universidad de La Sabana
Chía, Colombia

John Brownie

Apr 8, 2018, 5:14:10 PM4/8/18
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for working that out. I had a look at the code, and it wasn't creating a new ID in this case. I've added that fix, and it will come whenever I find the time to make a new version.

John
9 April 2018 at 04:55
Thanks to Sorin and Behnam — it seems like the trick may have been convincing it to generate new IDs by toggling the script types. Anyway, it seems to be working now!

Thanks again!

Carl

Department of Languages & Cultures
Universidad de La Sabana
Chía, Colombia

9 April 2018 at 03:17
The steps are:

– create a new keylayout, which means ‘from current input source’ too, which is a new keylayout, in fact;
– SAVE the new keylayout somewhere on the disk (use function ‘save’ in UKELELE;
– make all the changes you wish, including a new name and, highly recommended, giving it a new ID, and make the final ‘save’ when ready;
– move the keylayout or a copy of it to /Library/keyboard layouts or the the user level;
– restart
– activate the keylayout.

9 April 2018 at 03:12
Try changing its identification number as well. I suspect the computer doesn’t see the name but the identification number.
-b

9 April 2018 at 03:09
[...]

SIL-PNG, Ukarumpa, Eastern Highlands, Papua New Guinea