how to create a new "shift" key in the place of ordinary key?

Abdughani A'lamov

Mar 12, 2015, 4:01:01 PM3/12/15
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Hi. I just bought a new Mac book Pro and I am/was very happy, but it has two problems, it has a Turkish keyboard, and:

1) the left shift key is very short. When I try to type something in a capital, I push the button next to it.
So my question is: how can I turn this annoying button into a shift key?

2) the enter button is also two narrow here. But I could solve this, by entering the unicode id of "enter" on the key right next to it.

Waiting for your response.

Sorin Paliga

Mar 13, 2015, 3:45:14 AM3/13/15
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
You will rapidly adapt to it. That keyboard is specific for all macs sold in Europe and other parts of the world, as it has one extra key left to Z.
You may have some changes regarding the four modifier keys, see in System Preferences/Keyboard

Geke

Mar 13, 2015, 6:54:28 AM3/13/15
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Hi Abdughani,

You could use Ukelele to put "nothing" on the keys next to the left Shift key and the Enter key. Then accidentally pressing them will still not give you what you want, but at least it won’t give you something you don’t want...

Otherwise there is nothing you can do with software, sorry to say: there is no Unicode value for Shift or Enter.
I mean, I think you can fix this with a program called Karabiner, but you would need to write instructions for these two specific functions in XML code. I don’t know if you want to try that!

So the only two things I can suggest to you is to either connect an external keyboard, or have the keyboard inside your Macbook replaced by one of "ANSI" type.
Or, well, try to live with it. You do get used to it, over time.