Custom keyboard shows in Input Sources but not in Input Menu (can add but not select it)

Melarish Ish

Feb 14, 2017, 5:33:05 PM2/14/17
to Ukelele Users

I made a few edits to the standard US keyboard and selected Install. It appeared in ~/Library/Keyboard layouts and also can be added from Input Sources. However when I do, I still cannot select it from Input menu in menu bar (it doesn't appear there), nor by using the keyboard shortcut to change input.

I also tried taking the .keylayout file out of the bundle into the folder. Same thing - can add the keyboard but can't select it.

Am I doing anything wrong?
quotes and underscores.bundle.zip

Gé van Gasteren

Feb 14, 2017, 6:21:37 PM2/14/17
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Hi Melarish,

One thing you forgot, as far as I can see, is to give your keyboard layout a different "internal" name (from the US keyboard you started out with).

You may have renamed the file in the Finder, but that’s not enough. Do this: With the layout open in Ukelele, choose menu/option "Keyboard / Set keyboard name and script" and set a new name, one that’ll work well on the input menu.

Please be aware that your custom layout is not seen by the Mac as a full alternative to a built-in keyboard layout like U.S.: it’s required to have at least one system keyboard layout activated.

Hope this helps...

Melarish Ish

Sorin Paliga

Feb 28, 2017, 1:02:56 PM2/28/17
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
You have to change the original name: Keyboard/Set keyboard name and script. Sometimes, if the name is not changed, the keylayout does not show up in the menu.
You must at least log out and log in again, or restart, for a keylayout to work. Sometimes it works without this procedure, I have not been able to guess when and why.