Proposal for minor new feature

Aural Architect

Dec 18, 2017, 6:23:25 PM12/18/17
to Ukelele Users
Not sure if anyone else would find this useful; but since the keyboards I edit in Ukelele make extensive use of dead keys it would be quite helpful if the name of the current dead key state was displayed just above the keyboard – in the vicinity of the red oval.

I realize that this information can be viewed on the "State" tab of the inspector palette/window; however, the information on the "Output" tab is ultimately more useful in general.  If I get distracted by something for a moment I sometimes forget which dead key is active, but more importantly it would be helpful for screenshots which can otherwise easily get mixed up before I even get a chance to label them.
Also, I would guess this to be a relatively quick and simple feature to implement – although that's just speculation!

If this feature is added at some point, it might also be nice to add the current Modifier Index # as well, and possibly the name & version (US/ISO/JIS) of the current keyboard model.  Although I'm not sure what value or use that may have; but if it's easy, who knows who may find it useful.
I can't imagine why the possibility to choose whether or not to display these details in the preferences panel would be necessary; but if it's easy to add that,  I bet it would make someone happy who didn't appreciate seeing those extra details.

Thank  you so much for your time and consideration!

Auto Generated Inline Image 1

John Brownie

Dec 18, 2017, 9:09:22 PM12/18/17
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Actually, that area is used for various messages, mostly instructions when an operation requires user action. I could possibly integrate your suggestion, though, just swapping out the status message for instructions and back after the operation has completed.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion!

John
19 December 2017 at 09:23

John Brownie
SIL-PNG, Ukarumpa, Eastern Highlands, Papua New Guinea