Ukelele 3.2.6

John Brownie

Sep 30, 2017, 4:04:37 AM9/30/17
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
After more than five months (when I've been very busy with my main job), I've got an update which addresses several issues. Ukelele 3.2.6 is recommended for all users of Ukelele 3.2.x. It can, as usual, be downloaded from http://scripts.sil.org/ukelele or by the Software Update mechanism built into Ukelele.

Here is the change list:
  • When changing the script of a keyboard layout, the ID was not being set correctly (the old ID was kept), causing problems with clashing IDs. This is fixed.
  • When changing the name of a keyboard layout, the localised names were not being changed. This is being done correctly now.
  • Choosing a keyboard type with the description “unknown”, usually “Unknown (ID = 22)” caused an exception which made subsequent work unreliable. The cause has been repaired.
  • The Enter Dead Key State contextual menu for a dead key now goes directly to the state triggered by the dead key.
  • The contextual menu for a key now contains an Edit Key… menu item to open the Edit Key dialog for that key.
  • Updated to the Unicode 10.0.0 database and the Sparkle 1.18.1 auto-update framework.
  • The installer disk image is now signed, which should allow Ukelele to install without going through the Gatekeeper dialog.
  • When creating a new keyboard layout from the current keyboard input source, the name is now automatically changed to be different from the original name, to avoid the problem of duplicate keyboard layout names.
I hope that there are no further problems caused by this update!

John
--
John Brownie
SIL-PNG, Ukarumpa, Eastern Highlands, Papua New Guinea

Gé van Gasteren

Sep 30, 2017, 5:54:36 AM9/30/17
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
That’s an awesome update, John.
Sounds like this list could become a quiet place now… :)
Thanks for keeping it up!

Sorin Paliga

Sep 30, 2017, 9:54:52 AM9/30/17
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Many thanks, John. I will test it these days, am going to update some older keylayouts.

Alex K

Sep 30, 2017, 11:03:44 AM9/30/17
to Ukelele Users
Hi John,

Thanks for the update!
I am still having compatibility issues with High Sierra: CFErrorDomainLaunchd error 4, then "Helper Tool Is not installed" error.
Is that something that I am not doing right or it needs to be changed in the software?

Appreciate the work you do on this!

Thanks,
Alex

Sorin Paliga

Sep 30, 2017, 11:09:37 AM9/30/17
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
At a furtive glance and fast test, I cannot reproduce, seems to work OK in H.S.

Alex K

Sep 30, 2017, 12:25:15 PM9/30/17
to Ukelele Users
would you be so kind to try this https://www.dropbox.com/s/qo2os7js3flbm2w/RuPho.keylayout?dl=0 layout and see if you can install it and use in any apps.
for me, it would not install via Ukelele at all (CFErrorDomainLaunchd error 4, then "Helper Tool Is not installed" error. )
if i save it and manually move it in /Library/Keyboard layouts -- i can see it in the available layouts and i can add it. it shows up in the list of my layouts. however, i cannot switch to it or use it in any applications (messages, textedit, browser - anything)

i appreciate your help!

thanks,
ak

Sorin Paliga

Sep 30, 2017, 1:28:11 PM9/30/17
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
The file does not seem to be there any more or you removed it

Alex K

Sep 30, 2017, 2:02:50 PM9/30/17
to Ukelele Users
never mind - i just fixed it :)

turned out this was due to some weird caching.
i edited the plist to remove history of layouts, restarted, then added the layout successfully.

thanks and sorry for the hassle.

ak

Gé van Gasteren

Sep 30, 2017, 3:12:43 PM9/30/17
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Alex, please document a little what may have caused this caching problem.

Editing the plist before installing a layout should not be necessary! – Or if it is, Ukelele should handle it, I guess.

Sorin Paliga

Sep 30, 2017, 3:16:03 PM9/30/17
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately, Alex — and others — do not come back and illuminate us on the initial issue. Of course, no one should not edit the file, if he/she did this, (s)he knows more than simply using UKELELE. I would be curious to know what ’some weird caching’ means.

Gé van Gasteren

Sep 30, 2017, 3:23:47 PM9/30/17
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Dear Sorin,
Let’s give Alex some time to respond :)

What life brings us is basically, by definition, an unknown; even if something never worked in the past, it may still start working in the future …

Sorin Paliga

Sep 30, 2017, 3:24:36 PM9/30/17
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Right, I am so rude sometimes...

Alex K

Oct 1, 2017, 11:24:51 AM10/1/17
to Ukelele Users
Thank you Geke, i appreciate the understanding - given this is the Internets, you know.

First, I started playing with adding and removing the keyboard layout and restarting/logging out. I removed the layout from the bundle and tried to investigate what happens when i add or remove it. I soon noticed that the bundle in question, even after i physically removed it from /Library/Keyboard Layouts, was still showing up in the Others group (in the Settings/Keyboard/Input Sources applet) and thus would be available for adding. Note, that I was already playing with the layout, but the bundle was still showing up.
That, to me, meant that it is either cached or saved and the issue is with inability to overwrite this. I started googling for what drives that list of layouts and found a file ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.HIToolbox.plist
There is a AppleInputSourceHistory key in the file that happened to still store the layout in question, even after i removed it manually and restarted.
As soon as i cleaned that up from the file, everything started working again.

So the issue was ultimately with the OS not cleaning up a used layout/bundle info from the history, after it was physically removed.
However, I do not know if Ukelele is working, since I did it all manually in the end. I don't want to touch it now, since everything is working fine.

The issue might very well be with the layout/bundle itself, since I hacked it together about 10 years ago, based on something I downloaded somewhere. Hence, I am sure there are things in there that can (or should) be done differently. So Ukelele may simply not like something in there - I wouldn't be surprised.
FOr example, I noticed that for some keys there is an action, instead of output - i have not idea why, and it seems totally unnecessary. I am probably going to play with it a bit and see if i can clean it up. Then might give Ukelele's "Install for all users" another shot and see if it handles it properly.

Here is the bundle in question. I am sure it is not perfect. But, as I said, it is working now, so...
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jtp366xubpfi2p6/AAALNTEuhkmaAmhmU9Ekb5hma?dl=0

On Saturday, September 30, 2017 at 3:24:36 PM UTC-4, Cattus Thraex wrote:
Right, I am so rude sometimes...

On Saturday, September 30, 2017 at 1:28:11 PM UTC-4, Cattus Thraex wrote:
The file does not seem to be there any more or you removed it

Alex K

Oct 1, 2017, 11:38:17 AM10/1/17
to Ukelele Users
ANd now, just as i published this and turned to playing with the XML file... it stopped working again. Even though i wasn't touching the installed layout. I started editing the file elsewhere in TextMate. Maybe TextMate is not playing with keyboard layouts nicely??

Gé van Gasteren

Oct 1, 2017, 11:47:44 AM10/1/17
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Alex!

Your description, including the layout file itself, gives a much more complete picture for someone (John Brownie…) trying to understand if/where Ukelele might have gone wrong.

I’m not in a position to do that, although it’s clear to me that logging off and back after each install or intervention is important because it clears some keyboard layout cache somewhere.

If you still have issues with this keyboard layout, you could try fixing it by letting Ukelele duplicate it while filtering out some errors. How to do that:
Activate it, then use Ukelele to create a new keyboard layout with the option "New From Current Input Source". In the past, I’ve managed to fix a keyboard layout that worked in one OS version but couldn’t be opened in a newer Ukelele version due to internal errors.

Your latest problem: Please consider creating a layout with a different name (add "v21" or whatever) and play with that. I don’t know how working in the XML file could affect an installed layout, but as keyboard layouts are system software, after all, it’s good to use caution.

We’ve extensively hijacked this Ukelele-update thread now, I just noticed. For the sake of future archive searches (and for keeping some order…) it’s better to start a new thread for each issue. If you browse to the group page, there’s a button New Topic for that.

Alex K

Oct 1, 2017, 12:54:05 PM10/1/17
to Ukelele Users
Agreed. Last post in this thread - to close the loop.
I've removed the "bad" bundle from dropbox. I also cleaned it up and it is working on my machine now again.
Ukelele is still unable to "isntall" it though. FOr the record, i did try the "New From Current Input Source" yesterday to no avail.

All the best,
Alex

Aural Architect

Oct 2, 2017, 1:55:22 AM10/2/17
to Ukelele Users
Thank you so much!  It's fantastic.  I finally got a chance to do some work in Ukelele today and was greeted with the "Update Available" alert.  The context menu changes are marvelous—so convenient & helpful!
I installed Yosemite on a new drive for testing and discovered that Ukelele loads almost instantly (it was taking ~40-80 seconds with the icon bouncing in the dock).  Other little UI based anomalies have been cleared up as well.

There is still an issue with the drawer of options that slides down when double-clicking a dead key—the {cancel} button superimposes and blocks access to {OK}.  Of course OK can be selected by pressing Return so it's not a bit deal.

Sometimes when I enter the dialog box window for editing a key, the output is mysteriously removed when I exit the window.  This behavior in not the norm but I can not reliably duplicate it either.  It feel like it happens more when I'm in a Dead Key State, but I'm not sure.  Any idea what may be causing the output to disappear sometimes but not others? I find it ironic because most of the changes I have attempted to invoke in the Key Edit floating window have failed to be saved.

I also noticed that I can no longer drag and drop characters from the Character Viewer which is quite inconvenient; however, this seems to be another an OS issue, not a Ukelele issue.

Anyway, thank you so much for new features in the update!  It is awesome.

Oh, BTW-I noticed that "Copy Key" in the Edit menu is spelled "Copy Cey"

John Brownie

Oct 3, 2017, 6:25:27 AM10/3/17
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Aural Architect wrote:
> There is still an issue with the drawer of options that slides down
> when double-clicking a dead key—the {cancel} button superimposes and
> blocks access to {OK}. Of course OK can be selected by pressing
> Return so it's not a bit deal.
I don't see that at all. Can you take a screen shot of that?
> Sometimes when I enter the dialog box window for editing a key, the
> output is mysteriously removed when I exit the window. This behavior
> in not the norm but I can not reliably duplicate it either. It feel
> like it happens more when I'm in a Dead Key State, but I'm not sure.
> Any idea what may be causing the output to disappear sometimes but
> not others? I find it ironic because most of the changes I have
> attempted to invoke in the Key Edit floating window have failed to be
> saved.
It looks, from limited testing, as though the new output gets dropped if
it is the same as the base key. So, if there is currently no output for
a key that produces "w" in a given dead key state, and you put "w" into
the popover, that doesn't get registered. Anything else seems to be
registered. Again, this is just from limited playing around, so I'll
need to dig into the code to see what is happening here.
> I also noticed that I can no longer drag and drop characters from the
> Character Viewer which is quite inconvenient; however, this seems to
> be another an OS issue, not a Ukelele issue.
It works for me on Sierra. I seem to remember that at some point in the
past, you needed to click once in the Character Viewer and then do the
click and drag, but that is some years ago, and I can't remember which
version of OS X it was.
> Oh, BTW-I noticed that "Copy Key" in the Edit menu is spelled "Copy Cey"
So it is! Nobody has ever picked up on that before. At least that one is
easy to fix!

Gé van Gasteren

Oct 3, 2017, 9:23:35 AM10/3/17
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Here’s the screenshot of that dialog box issue. This is in El Capitán (too).
Inline images 1