Custom alt key combinations disappearing on Sierra

Kyle Kuzman

Sep 4, 2017, 10:49:57 PM9/4/17
to Ukelele Users
I've googling endlessly looling for help with my problem: I've created a custom layout with ukulele to use alt+(a few different keys) to type accented characters in other languages faster. But whenever I install it, no matter the location, it only kind of halfway works - when I try to type my new combinations, I see the letter flash briefly and then disappear and I have to press the same keys one or two more times to get the letter to "stick".
Interestingly enough, when I restarted in safe mode, it seemed to work perfectly. And the same layout worked perfectly before updating to Sierra.
Is anyone else having the same problem or has an idea what I could try to fix it? Thanks in advance!!!

Sorin Paliga

Sep 5, 2017, 12:32:07 AM9/5/17
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
It is difficult to guess what you did, put that keylayout here.

Kyle Kuzman

Sep 5, 2017, 10:30:48 AM9/5/17
to Ukelele Users
Thanks so much for the reply! Created it with the Sierra default Dvorak layout as a basis, then installed both with the app and manually to all three keyboard layout locations (Library, System/Library, and my user folder). Had the same behavior with every one

Kyle Kuzman

Sep 5, 2017, 10:31:27 AM9/5/17
to Ukelele Users

On Tuesday, September 5, 2017 at 12:32:07 AM UTC-4, Cattus Thraex wrote:
Dvorak++.bundle.zip

Gé van Gasteren

Sep 5, 2017, 10:54:30 AM9/5/17
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kyle,

I don’t have Sierra, so it may not surprise you that your keyboard layout works normally on my system.

The only strange thing for me is that the name shown in the drop-down menu is not "Dvorak++" but "Dvorak".
As there is a chance that this makes it clash with the built-in Dvorak keyboard layout, I suggest giving it a different name ("Dvorak plusplus" ?) and see what happens.

John Brownie

Sep 12, 2017, 6:25:13 AM9/12/17
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
I found one surprise here. When you change the name of the keyboard layout, it doesn't actually change properly, but you have to go to Localise Keyboard Name to change it so that it is correct. I'll have to work on a fix for that.

Otherwise, the keyboard layout appears to work on my computer, running 10.12.6. A possible problem is that the ID doesn't seem to change when I change the Script, which could mean multiple keyboard layouts with the same ID, which is supposed to work OK, but in practice seems to be problematic. It's a bug in Ukelele that the ID isn't being updated. Until that gets fixed, perhaps you could try editing the XML in a text editor and changing the line near the top:

<keyboard group="126" id="-19197" name="Dvorak++" maxout="1">

to have a different number than -19197, as long as it's in the range -1 to -32767.

Sorry for the bugs! I've been flat out with my main job in recent weeks, and I've been working on another project, but I'll try to find fixes for these bugs soon.

John
6 September 2017 at 00:53
Hi Kyle,

I don’t have Sierra, so it may not surprise you that your keyboard layout works normally on my system.

The only strange thing for me is that the name shown in the drop-down menu is not "Dvorak++" but "Dvorak".
As there is a chance that this makes it clash with the built-in Dvorak keyboard layout, I suggest giving it a different name ("Dvorak plusplus" ?) and see what happens.

6 September 2017 at 00:31

On Tuesday, September 5, 2017 at 12:32:07 AM UTC-4, Cattus Thraex wrote:
5 September 2017 at 14:32
It is difficult to guess what you did, put that keylayout here.

5 September 2017 at 12:49
I've googling endlessly looling for help with my problem: I've created a custom layout with ukulele to use alt+(a few different keys) to type accented characters in other languages faster. But whenever I install it, no matter the location, it only kind of halfway works - when I try to type my new combinations, I see the letter flash briefly and then disappear and I have to press the same keys one or two more times to get the letter to "stick".
Interestingly enough, when I restarted in safe mode, it seemed to work perfectly. And the same layout worked perfectly before updating to Sierra.
Is anyone else having the same problem or has an idea what I could try to fix it? Thanks in advance!!!

--
John Brownie
SIL-PNG, Ukarumpa, Eastern Highlands, Papua New Guinea