Hangul script for Korean keyboard layout

Gabriel C.

Mar 23, 2015, 10:21:11 PM3/23/15
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
I'm trying to modify a Korean keyboard layout. In the Hangul script, usually characters are grouped together, with complicated parsing rules. The built-in Korean keyboards do this correctly.

However, my modified keyboard only makes individual characters and fails to group them.

I have tried to set the language of my keyboard layout to Korean and script to Hangul in case that is part of the problem; however I notice that whenever I open my saved .keylayout file, the language has defaulted back to English and the script has defaulted back to nothing. I don't know if this is related to the problem.

John Brownie

Mar 23, 2015, 11:07:41 PM3/23/15
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
You can't modify an input method like Hangul with a keyboard layout. Sorry, that's a limitation built into the system.

John
--
John Brownie, john_b...@sil.org or j.br...@sil.org.pg
Summer Institute of Linguistics      | Mussau-Emira language, Mussau Is.

Gabriel C.

Mar 23, 2015, 11:11:32 PM3/23/15
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Maybe what I want is impossible, but maybe I explained poorly. I don't want to modify the Hangul parsing at all. I want to preserve all ordinary keystrokes and just remap command-and option-modified characters (which are already not parsed as Hangul).

Tom Gewecke

Mar 24, 2015, 12:59:49 AM3/24/15
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com

On 23 mars 2015, at 20:11, Gabriel C. wrote:

> . I don't want to modify the Hangul parsing at all. I want to preserve all ordinary keystrokes and just remap command-and option-modified characters (which are already not parsed as Hangul).

To play with the Hangul or other IM's, you have to go inside the app and experiment with modifying the files there.

system/library/input methods/KoreanIM.app

John Brownie

Mar 24, 2015, 1:05:31 AM3/24/15
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
On 24/03/2015 13:11, Gabriel C. wrote:
Hi,

Maybe what I want is impossible, but maybe I explained poorly. I don't want to modify the Hangul parsing at all. I want to preserve all ordinary keystrokes and just remap command-and option-modified characters (which are already not parsed as Hangul).

OK, it used to be more obvious, but there is a difference between "input methods" and "keyboard layouts". For certain languages, most notably Korean, Chinese and Japanese, there are input methods which are not customisable. Although they appear in the Keyboard section of System Preferences (in Yosemite, at least), they do not behave like keyboard layouts that can be customised. It's just not possible to customise these input methods requires a programmer, not just a keyboard layout.

Gabriel C.

Mar 24, 2015, 4:57:42 AM3/24/15
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the tip. I tried modifying various files in the app to add a keylayout and also tried overwriting an existing keylayout within those system files but had no luck with either. I guess at this point it's no longer really an appropriate issue for this group. I appreciate your help (and John's too).

Geke

Mar 24, 2015, 5:25:15 AM3/24/15
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Hi Gabriel,

Before you leave, two pieces of software you might want to have a look at. I have no idea, however, if/how they interact/interfere with the Korean input method:
DoubleCommand: http://doublecommand.sourceforge.net/
and
Karabiner: https://pqrs.org/osx/karabiner/document.html.en

Sorin Paliga

Mar 24, 2015, 5:51:35 AM3/24/15
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
No, they do not interfere with keylayouts for input method, these ‘special’ keylayouts deal with the complex and complicated succession of ligatures and combinations of ideograms (Chinese, Japanese) or syllabic phonetic system (Korean), with many combinations. DoubleCommand or Karabiner (NEVER install both at the same time) may change various system commands, more than pre-existing in the system.

Tom Gewecke

Mar 24, 2015, 10:58:50 AM3/24/15
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com

On 23 mars 2015, at 22:05, John Brownie wrote:

> For certain languages, most notably Korean, Chinese and Japanese, there are input methods which are not customisable. Although they appear in the Keyboard section of System Preferences (in Yosemite, at least), they do not behave like keyboard layouts that can be customised. It's just not possible to customise these input methods requires a programmer, not just a keyboard layout.

If you go inside the IM apps, you can usually find .keylayout files in the Resources folder. I think it may be possible to customize these in some circumstances. I was once able to do it in the TamilIM to fix a bug in Apple's layout.