Attachink icon and setting language problen

Максим М

Jun 13, 2016, 5:36:05 AM6/13/16
to Ukelele Users
Hello.
Version 3.0.1.75

1. Attached icns 32*32 does not appear in menu after installing layout.
2. Command "Set keyboard language" shows nothing.

Thank you.

John Brownie

Jun 13, 2016, 6:42:38 AM6/13/16
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Are you using a keyboard layout collection? The language setting does
not work for keyboard layouts that are not in a collection.

For the icon, how did you install the keyboard layout? If it is a
keyboard layout that is not in a collection, the icon would not be
installed if you use Ukelele to install the keyboard layout. In that
case, you have to do it manually.

John
--
John Brownie, john_b...@sil.org or j.br...@sil.org.pg
Summer Institute of Linguistics, Ukarumpa, Eastern Highlands Province,

Максим М

Jun 13, 2016, 6:52:25 AM6/13/16
to Ukelele Users
So, I added layout to collection, set language and icon, saved, installed from dmg and from menu, replaced existing layout, but i do not see required language nor layout with icon in "other" section.

Gé van Gasteren

Jun 13, 2016, 9:12:03 AM6/13/16
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Hi Maksim,

Maybe attach your bundle to a post in here, so we can see how it works on our systems.
There can be so many places where things go wrong that telling you how and where to check is just too much work...

Максим М

Jun 13, 2016, 9:24:50 AM6/13/16
to Ukelele Users
Thank you sir.

понедельник, 13 июня 2016 г., 16:12:03 UTC+3 пользователь Geke написал:
ViNagari.dmg
ViNagari.keylayout
वि॰16.icns

Geke

Jun 13, 2016, 10:11:26 AM6/13/16
to Ukelele Users
Hi, I could install your keyboard layout normally with the .dmg file.
But what was in the .dmg file was not a bundle (or "keyboard layout collection") only a .keylayout file; not even an icon.

In principle, this can also work, as long as the icon you put in the Library/Keyboard Layouts folder has the same file name as the keyboard layout. In this case the file names would be:
ViNagari.keylayout
ViNagari.icns
See the attached picture where I was installing those files.

But maybe it’s better to create a bundle: Choose the Ukelele command File/New Keyboard Layout Collection. (This is what John was talking about.)
Then you can either select "Ukelele Window" to put the currently open keyboard layout into that Collection, or click "Existing File" to add the file ViNagari.keylayout.

After that, the buttons Icon and Language become available, see the other screen shot.
If they are not available, click on your layout’s name.
(One can put many keyboard layouts into one bundle, so selecting the name is to specify for which of those you want to add an icon or set the language.)

The next step would be to click on "Icon" and add the .icns file. (In this case, the name of the icon file doesn’t matter.)

Then you also have to set the keyboard layout’s language: while the keyboard layout is highlighted, click on "Language" and type e.g. "sa" for Sanskrit.
This info is stored in the bundle parameters only, so it’s not connected with the keyboard layout itself, only with the keyboard layout Collection, in this case "ViNagari.bundle".
(I have no idea what is being set by Ukelele’s command Keyboard/Set Keyboard Language.)

I could of course attach the resulting bundle, but I think it’s more fun to let you do it yourself :-)
Good luck and let me know if it worked!
Screen Shot 2016-06-13 at 15.51.19.png
Screen Shot 2016-06-13 at 16.06.29.png

Максим М

Jun 14, 2016, 5:51:54 AM6/14/16
to Ukelele Users
Excellent answer, al works fine! But one more question arose - how can I create dmg for distributing layout? This menu command is blocker now.

Sorin Paliga

Jun 14, 2016, 5:57:27 AM6/14/16
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
/Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility
then go to New Image/ then choose either a new blank one (choose size) or create one from any folder, attached.

Максим М

Jun 14, 2016, 6:26:13 AM6/14/16
to Ukelele Users
Great. But what file ineed to put in it? If i put .bundle file, will it be possible to install a layout from it in another computer? Maybe I need to put .keylayout, but how can I make out of colecttion?

Sorin Paliga

Jun 14, 2016, 6:32:25 AM6/14/16
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
You may put anything in a dmg, it behaves like a (fake) external or internal disk.
A keylayout works if:
1. Create a keylayout file and add an icns file, in order to have a custom icon of it; the icns file is not mandatory, if absent the keylayout will have a generic greyish icon. In order to install it, you will drag the two files (or only one, the .keylayout file) to /Library/Keyboard Layouts. The original will remain in the dmg file.
or
2. Create a bundle file, which contains one or more keylayout files associated or not to their icns files, and put it in the same place.
For the time being, I abandoned creating bundle files, as some apps, in my case Nisus, cannot recognise the language-specific code and does not pick up data from a bundle, so I reverted to the classical method of a .keylayout file + .icns file.
Of course you may install them in any computer running any OS from the immemorial 10.2 (I guess) to the last version. For older OSs, use the ‘classical’ method quoted under #1, they will not recognise the bundles.

Максим М

Jun 14, 2016, 6:46:34 AM6/14/16
to Ukelele Users
First way is fine. I made dmg, but how can I paste a link to /Library/Keyboard Layouts which will open together with dmg to drag files to? As it usually works when installing an app.

Sorin Paliga

Jun 14, 2016, 6:48:23 AM6/14/16
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Just drag the files from there to the location.
You may also create an installer, of course, but this is perhaps uselessly complicated at this moment. Depending on the OS you are using, the keylayout may be immediately available, sometimes you need to at least log out and re-log in, or restart.

Максим М

Jun 14, 2016, 6:55:38 AM6/14/16
to Ukelele Users
Did I undestood it right - second way is to put .bundle file to  /Library/Keyboard Layouts?

Sorin Paliga

Jun 14, 2016, 7:07:30 AM6/14/16
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Correct

Gé van Gasteren

Jun 14, 2016, 11:34:25 AM6/14/16
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, I’m a bit late to see your question.
I’m happy you got it to work!

After you have created a new Keyboard Layout Collection in Ukelele and have added a keyboard layout, an icon, and set the language, you can save it normally as <name>.bundle.

Later, you can open that bundle with Ukelele if you drag the bundle unto Ukelele’s icon. (If you double-click it, probably the Terminal opens it.)

Now while you have that bundle open in Ukelele, choose File/Install > Export Installer Disk Image. Give it a name and click OK.
It takes some time, even though the resulting file is tiny.

You wrote that that command is not available, and I don’t know how that can be. It’s only available when the bundle window is open, as in the attached picture. Maybe that helps?
Inline images 1

(I’m pretty sure all this is described very well in the manual … :-)

Максим М

Jun 15, 2016, 10:46:58 AM6/15/16
to Ukelele Users
I`l answer as soon as possible, some time is needed for test )