Ukelele 3.0.5 released

John Brownie

Aug 8, 2016, 4:09:26 AM8/8/16
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
I have uploaded Ukelele version 3.0.5. This is another bug-fix release. The changes are:
  • Buttons and menu items are enabled only as appropriate when a keyboard layout collection contains no keyboard layouts.
  • Importing a dead key did not work, with various ways that it could crash. These have been fixed, so it should be working as expected now.
  • When opening a keyboard layout, some checking is done to identify and report some errors that might arise with keyboard layouts that have had the XML file directly edited (in a text editor, not in Ukelele).
  • Updated the Unicode database to version 9.0.0.
  • Disable deleting a modifier combination if it’s the only one defined.
  • When adding a new key map, the dialog now picks the empty key map as the default, rather than whatever was previously chosen, which wasn’t working correctly.
  • If a keyboard layout collection had internal folders named without normal capitalisation, Ukelele would report that the bundle was invalid. This has been fixed.
As usual, Ukelele can be downloaded at http://scripts.sil.org/ukelele or via Software Update within Ukelele.

My next efforts are directed towards a 3.1 release, which will have the tutorials updated and expanded, including some changes that I make in working through it (such as improving the new keyboard layout creation process for the case where it's not in a collection). No promises as to when this will be done!
--
John Brownie
In Finland on furlough from SIL Papua New Guinea

Gé van Gasteren

Aug 8, 2016, 10:34:21 AM8/8/16
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, John, for your incredible dedication over the years!

Did you initially develop Ukelele for your language research, or how did it come about?

John Brownie

Aug 8, 2016, 10:54:21 AM8/8/16
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
It all started back in 2002, when I was on furlough, casting around for something useful to do, since there wasn't much language work to do at that point. Having been a professional programmer in the past (if you've ever used Magma, formerly Cayley, I was one of the programmers in that project, but that's mathematics, not linguistics), I asked around for something to do. Someone suggested that this was a niche that needed filling, and so I've been doing it for the last 14 years. With Apple changing the playing field repeatedly, it's required a lot of learning new things, but I like that!

Gé van Gasteren

Aug 9, 2016, 9:44:26 AM8/9/16
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
It sounds so... predestined when you write it like that.
And do you ever use Ukelele for your work in Papua New Guinea, or any other project?
I mean, are you only programming it, or also using it, i.e. having some benefit of your commitment?

Just curious...