cmd = QWERTY

Tallarines

Sep 26, 2010, 12:21:08 PM9/26/10
to Ukelele Users
Hi there!

my fingers ache because of the QWERTY layout.
I am changing it to create my own idiot layout. But i am kinda
attached to the old QWERTY keyboard shortcuts.

I remember of a possibility of using any kind of layout but keeping
the QWERTY when the cmd was pressed.

It would be a must, because i wouldn't be able to see my own keys.

do someone know how was that made?

thank you very much in advance.

Tallarines

Sep 26, 2010, 12:29:20 PM9/26/10
to Ukelele Users
this is what i mean, but with another option different from DVORAK,
which is neither the best option for my language... (i'd check this
out again)

«Since about 1998, beginning with Mac OS 8.6, Apple has included the
Dvorak layout. Apple also includes a Dvorak variant they call “Dvorak
— Qwerty ⌘”. With this layout, the keyboard becomes QWERTY when the
Command (Apple) key is held down. By keeping familiar keyboard
shortcuts like “close” or “copy” on the same keys as ordinary QWERTY,
this lets some people use their well-practiced muscle memory and may
make the transition easier. Mac OS and subsequently Mac OS X allows
“on-the-fly” switching between layouts: a menu-bar icon (by default, a
national flag that matches the current language, a ‘DV’ represents
Dvorak and a ‘DQ’ represents Dvorak — Qwerty ⌘) brings up a drop-down
menu, allowing the user to choose the desired layout. Subsequent
keystrokes will reflect the choice, which can be reversed the same
way.» http://goo.gl/25iC

Tallarines

Sep 26, 2010, 12:36:03 PM9/26/10
to Ukelele Users
oh i am trying to create a "new keyboard layout based on current input
source", also Dvorak - QWERTY and i am receive an error message.

also, it's the thrid or fourth time it quits unexpectedly. It used to
be better, ukelele, before this new version :(

Tallarines

Sep 26, 2010, 2:39:18 PM9/26/10
to Ukelele Users
OK I SOLVED IT MYSELF ALREADY WITH THE FILES INCLUDED IN THE .DMG.
LOL.

mvlanc...@gmail.com

Feb 7, 2015, 4:27:40 PM2/7/15
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com, tallarine...@gmail.com
Please share your solution.  I am having the same issue.  Thanks!

Geke

Feb 7, 2015, 4:37:05 PM2/7/15
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com, tallarine...@gmail.com
I don’t know how Tallarines solved it, but if I were to make such a keyboard layout, I would take "Dvorak - Qwerty" (in Ukelele’s installation package) as the basis for my new layout. Or Russian, maybe, which has e.g. Cmd-V and the Cyrillic letter M assigned to one and the same key but with different modifier keys down.
That layout has the "layers" for Commands and standard keystrokes separated, so a change in one layer doesn’t affect the others.

Sure, Ukelele lets you unlink layers yourself and I guess the manual describes it all in detail, but I’m a little simple-minded in those things and usually choose the easy way out...

mvlanc...@gmail.com

Feb 7, 2015, 6:48:18 PM2/7/15
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com, tallarine...@gmail.com
Thank you!  It worked.  For some keys, when I changed them to another letter, that same letter when command was held down also changed.  This was the only issue I encountered, and whenever that happened, I used Keyboard > Unlink Key... on the key and that fixed it.

Thanks!

Geke

Feb 8, 2015, 12:25:20 AM2/8/15
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com, tallarine...@gmail.com
OK, great!
You figured out something I didn’t know: I’ll keep that Unlinking in mind next time…