Can I create my own key? The layouts don't have on of my keyboard keys the "/"

msmafra

Feb 28, 2015, 11:24:16 AM2/28/15
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Hi

Another Apple keyboard that have is dying. And of course I will never again buy another. To type this, because of the poor quality of the Apple keyboard the, the title I gave to Mac OS X, as The Worst Support for keyboards on Earth, I am using two keyboards.
My Apple usb keyboard and my compact Logitech k240 wireless keyboard (ABNT2 layout).

So, can I insert a new key while using the Ukelle editor? Because one of my logitech 240 keys is not shown on the layout. The the Key code shown is 94. This keyboard is a compact one so the "/" and "?" are on the left of the right shift but the key is not show on the layout and nothing happens.

Geke

Feb 28, 2015, 12:11:32 PM2/28/15
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Hi, look in the Help (inside Ukelele):
Under Editing a keyboard layout  /  Editing key output  /  Choosing the key by its key code, you’ll find:

You can choose “Edit Key…” from the Keyboard menu, and it will ask you how to specify the key you want to edit. You can either press the key on the keyboard or click the key on the on-screen keyboard, or enter the key code. Whichever you choose, you will get a dialog allowing you to supply the new output.

Another way may be to choose a different Keyboard Type (option on the View menu). With some luck you’ll then see the key appear; I usually take the USB Pro Keyboard.
From your description I can’t judge if you have an ISO or ANSI keyboard, but that is also selected there.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Sorin Paliga

Feb 28, 2015, 12:59:03 PM2/28/15
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Geke has answered promptly. I have never had Apple keyboard are bad, on the contrary (I do not indeed have any preconceived ideas, nor do I venerate Apple). But, of course, you may feel familiar with other keyboards, Logitech is also good (I have been using their mice, though).

I would just note something else, many people are not aware of this: what you see on the physical keyboard is not necessarily what you get with a certain keylayout (keyboard layout). This happens only if you have, say, a U.S. physical keyboard and activate U.S. keylayout, in this case the keys match the letters (or, better, characters) you write. If you choose another keyboard, say get a French one (AZERTY), you get the same chars even if they are different on the keyboard, e.g. you press on A and you get Q in fact, because that is the location on the U.S. Keyboard. But if you activate French keylayout, you do get A when you press A, because it is where it is in France; but you also get A if you press Q on the American keyboard, if French keylayout is active.
This may see confusing, but it is not: physical keyboards have different locations of the chars, depending on the national standard. You may write in Russian or Korean using any physical keyboard, just you must memorise the location of the chars.

So, it is very certain that what you see in UKELELE is NOT what you see on your keyboard, because that one is different. BTW, what is the active keylayout and what the distribution of the keys on the physical keyboard? There must be other changes, not only the one you mentioned.

Tom Gewecke

Feb 28, 2015, 1:26:51 PM2/28/15
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com

On Feb 28, 2015, at 9:24 AM, msmafra wrote:

> (ABNT2 layout).

This is a unique keyboard type use in Brazil with more keys than ISO or ANSI. You may need to manually edit the xml file.

Geke

Feb 28, 2015, 5:00:40 PM2/28/15
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Thanks guys!
Sorin, that’s an important point to understand: that what one sees in Ukelele is not the keyboard layout file, just a (partial) representation.

Tom: Oh, is that what it is... I was wondering what kind of keyboard he had.
But I’m not a programmer, so I’m very hesitant to even look inside an XML file. As long as Carl needs to assign only a few keys, I think it’s easier (and safer!) to use the method described in the Help.

Sorin Paliga

Feb 28, 2015, 5:09:39 PM2/28/15
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Not only in UKELELE, what you get when using a keylayout is not what you see on the physical keys of the keyboard. This happens only when the keylayout fits the national standard of the keyboard.

Geke

Mar 1, 2015, 6:06:38 AM3/1/15
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Dear Sorin,

You’re right of course, but I have the feeling Carl (the OP) knows that already.

What I was emphasizing here was the distinction between the keyboard layout as displayed in Ukelele and the actual key definitions in the keyboard layout file.
What is important for him to understand with regard to his described problem is that he can use Ukelele to assign characters to his physical keyboard’s keys even if they don’t show up in the Ukelele user interface.

If he is comfortable with editing the XML code inside the keyboard layout file directly, that is, with a text program, that may be a less clumsy approach. But if it’s only for a few keys, Ukelele is the safer choice.