Russian layout - small change for diacritic

Gino Rodrigues

Oct 28, 2016, 3:33:05ā€ÆAM10/28/16
to Ukelele Users
I already use a "phonetic" russian layout made with Ukelele, it is attached and was found on this closed thread.

The problem is with diacritics. The layout is configured to activate diacritics through OPTION+', but the constant need of the OPTION key turns into a real burden in everyday use.

I need to do a simple change, which is to activate diacritics simply through the ' key, just as would be done with portuguese, for example. I've been trying REALLY hard to do it myself, but I couldn't find my ways through Ukelele in order to accomplish that successfully.

Could anyone on the forum help me somehow?

Many thanks in advance!
Russian - Phonetic Accents.keylayout

Sorin Paliga

Oct 28, 2016, 3:48:41ā€ÆAM10/28/16
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Hello

Start from a similar keylayout, e.g. Greek, it has a similar combination, in fact it has more.Ā
Otherwise, 0you simply need to make a dead key on the chosen key, and then populate the sub-levels of that dead key.Ā
Click on the selected key
right click, then choose
Create dead key
Choose a symbol for it
Populate it with the chars
Close the dead key
Save
Install in /Library/Keyboard layouts
Log out and log in again
Activate it

Have a look at the attachment

<Russian - Phonetic Accents.keylayout>

GĆ© van Gasteren

Oct 28, 2016, 9:04:31ā€ÆAM10/28/16
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Hello Gino,
I assume you donā€™t know how to use Ukelele, and what youā€™re asking is if someone on this forum can modify the uploaded layout for you in the way you described.
I could do that for you, but Iā€™m not sure you would be happy with the straight quote ' being on a dead key, as you suggested.
Because after that change, you would have to type ' by first typing ' then a space ā€“ at least youā€™d have to type it like that when it is followed by a vowel.
So let me know if you donā€™t mind losing easy access to the ' (straight quote) and Iā€™ll make the layout for you.

I think there is a better alternative, especially if your keyboard is of the ISO type:
Is there a key between the left Shift key and the Z key on your physical keyboard?
-If there is, you could assign the accent to that key and thus leave the ' untouched.
-If there isnā€™t: Even if that extra key isnā€™t there, you might be happier to type the accent with Shift-6 than with Option-'

If the extra key is there, please tell me what this key produces when typed ā€“ while the Russian - Phonetic Accents keyboard layout is active.
On my keyboard, it produces > but Iā€™d like to make sure itā€™s the same on yours before changing it.

Best regards

Gino Rodrigues

Nov 16, 2016, 4:48:29ā€ÆAM11/16/16
to Ukelele Users
Hi Cattus, thank you very much, I will give it a try and come back to you, thanks!

Gino Rodrigues

Nov 16, 2016, 5:03:21ā€ÆAM11/16/16
to Ukelele Users
Hi Geke, thank you very much for your disposition!

Some info:
  • yes, I never used Ukelele before, and had a quite hard time trying to do it myself before asking for help.
  • I use a macbook, US standard keyboard layout, thus no extra key where you mentioned.
  • I am Brazilian, so my keyboard is configured for PT-BR, so I already make a heavy and fast use of the ' key for diacritics, thus I already don't have the direct quote and that's perfectly fine because when I throw it before an "a" it turns Ć”, but before a "t" it turns into 't, a very frequent case for writing english. It is perfect.
  • as I am crazy enough to learn russian, making notes of the accented vowels is always slow and painful, because it is very unnatural and effortful for me. Probably the same would happen if I used a different extra key for that as you asked.
This is it, if what I am asking you could just post instructions, just like Cattus, and I will have a try.

Otherwise if you are fluent enough with the app to do it yourself, I thank you сŠ»ŠøшŠŗŠ¾Š¼ Š¼Š½Š¾Š³Š¾ in advance!

Muito obrigado!

Sorin Paliga

Nov 16, 2016, 6:16:23ā€ÆAM11/16/16
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com

  • as I am crazy enough to learn russian, making notes of the accented vowels is always slow and painful, because it is very unnatural and effortful for me. Probably the same would happen if I used a different extra key for that as you asked.
Use my Cyrillic Linguist, you will get ANY accented letter by pressing shift-2: Š°Ģ ŠµĢ тĢ Š³Ģ, you may therefore put the accent even on consonants. It is an idea to move that diacritic at zero level, without shift, perhaps I will do it. Download it from here:

Enjoy

Gino Rodrigues

Nov 16, 2016, 6:22:36ā€ÆAM11/16/16
to Ukelele Users
Mr Cattus, I can assure you that, for everyday use, zero level makes a critical difference. Latin writers like myself can confirm that. And while studying russian it gets is even worse, because in order to practice, i've been accenting almost every single word.

Yes I will give it a try in your Cyrillic Linguist and get back to you, thanks !!

Sorin Paliga

Nov 16, 2016, 7:09:29ā€ÆAM11/16/16
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
One small correction: accented letter via option-2, сĢˆ фĢˆ , precisely the three usual diacritical marks for Cyrillic, i.e. Ā Ģ Ā Ģˆ Ā Ā Ģ„ Ā are at the level option-2, 3 and 4. It is no problem to move them to zero level, but I must sacrifice one of the chars at that level, which is not an easy or even recommended change. What would you recommend? (see the attachment). - left to Z (on ISO keyboards) is non-breaking hyphen.Ā

Sorin Paliga

Nov 16, 2016, 7:38:05ā€ÆAM11/16/16
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Otherwise: accented vowels are used only in manuals of Russian or, say, Serbian or Bulgarian, otherwise they are not marked. For practising Russian, you should use minimally or not at all the accents, just follow the pronunciation in the accompanying sound files, I guess there are too.Ā

Geke

Nov 16, 2016, 8:16:37ā€ÆAM11/16/16
to Ukelele Users
Hi Gino,

The basic change is easy, but there are some things necessary or useful besides, which may make it daunting for you.
I think all necessary steps are covered in the compact Tutorial that comes with Ukelele when you download it, so you could try that.

1. When you open the existing Russian - Phonetic layout, make a copy of it (before opening it, or with Ukeleleā€™s command "File/Duplicate") and change the layoutā€™s name with Ukeleleā€™s menu option "Keyboard/Set Keyboard Name and Script".
This will make sure no confusing can arise between the old and new versions.
2. Create a so-called "dead key" on the ' quote key, and assign to it the existing "dead key state" called "Accents". This "moving a dead key" is also described in 6.7.3 of the manual.
3. Change that dead keyā€™s terminator into the ' straight quote: double-click on the key, select the Tab "Terminator" and type the ' in the field.
4. Make and assign an icon for your new layout, so you can recognize it in the Macā€™s menu bar.
5. Save the bundle (layout + icon) into a .dmg file so it can be shared and installed easily.

It took longer for me to write this up than to do the change, but your spirit is right!
Good luck and let us know.