How to map the fn key into the º key?

césar rattoni

Feb 3, 2018, 12:16:29 PM2/3/18
to Ukelele Users
Hi, I find it really unpractical that macs have only one fn key ( the one that changes de behaviors of the function keys) in the furthest place of the keyboard from those keys making it impossible to operate those functions with just one hand. I would like to switch the function of the º key ( the one at the left of the number one key) and maybe even have another fn key replacing the last key of the second row, which I never use. That way I could have a closer key to do that function in the right and in the left of the keyboard.

Sorin Paliga

Feb 3, 2018, 12:26:38 PM2/3/18
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
You can do this with Karabiner
or reportedly (but have not tested) with Better Touch Tool:

Do not install both, I am afraid they may interfere with each other.

On 3 Feb 2018, at 19:16, césar rattoni <cesar....@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi, I find it really unpractical that macs have only one fn key ( the one that changes de behaviors of the function keys) in the furthest place of the keyboard from those keys making it impossible to operate those functions with just one hand. I would like to switch the function of the º key ( the one at the left of the number one key) and maybe even have another fn key replacing the last key of the second row, which I never use. That way I could have a closer key to do that function in the right and in the left of the keyboard.

Gé van Gasteren

Feb 3, 2018, 2:25:25 PM2/3/18
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Very good, César, that you clearly describe what you want to do!

Ukelele is only a keyboard layout editor, and keyboard layouts don’t control the behavior you want.

The programs Sorin mentioned work differently: they are running in the background on your Mac, watching keystrokes and replacing them as instructed.