keyboard keeps switching back to normal one

Guillaume

Jan 24, 2018, 8:57:15 PM1/24/18
to Ukelele Users
Hi,

I recently downloaded Ukelele and I created my own keyboard setup. This would be totally amazing if I could get my custom keyboard working, but unfortunately, whenever I select my custom keyboard from the input source, a few seconds or minutes later, it switches back to the previous and standard keyboard. Then I try to select my keyboard back, but I can't, the keyboard is greyed out and cannot be selected (please see attached screenshot).

Any ideas what can be the reason for this?

Thank you!

Guillaume

Jan 24, 2018, 8:58:59 PM1/24/18
to Ukelele Users

I'm not sure the screenshot was attached properly, here is another one.
Screen Shot 2018-01-25 at 10.55.13 AM.png

Sorin Paliga

Jan 25, 2018, 1:25:33 AM1/25/18
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
In what application(s) do you plan to use your keylayout? When and why does it switch to the system keylayout? This may occur only if you use chars illegal for a given action.

Guillaume

Jan 25, 2018, 4:00:22 AM1/25/18
to Ukelele Users
I'm mostly doing development / coding, so I'll use the layout in editors like "Sublime Text" or in the terminal with "iTerm 2".
What does it mean to use illegal chars? Is there something I can do to fix this?

Gé van Gasteren

Jan 25, 2018, 4:37:10 AM1/25/18
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Hi Guillaume,

Probably, the switching happens when you open an application that doesn’t support your custom keyboard layout.
Could you verify that?

Of course, the next question is: Why doesn’t that application like your layout?
Have you selected "Roman" as its script or "Unicode"?

The Terminal supports my Unicode-script custom layout in OS X El Capitán, but maybe it doesn’t in earlier OSes.
I don’t know about Sublime Text. Here’s a forum post about Sublime Text not supporting Sinhala script, but that may not apply to your situation at all:

So I’m just guessing around here…
Maybe you could attach your custom layout file to a post, so we can test how it works on our systems?

Sorin Paliga

Jan 25, 2018, 6:46:38 AM1/25/18
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com

What does it mean to use illegal chars? Is there something I can do to fix this?
Some apps or the Finder do not support certain chars in certain unicode blocks, so I guess this is your issue. Perhaps I / we may have suggestions if you upload the offending keylayout and let us see what the cause may be.
It is not clear the phrasing ’several seconds or minutes later’, I guess you are doing smth when this occurs, e.g. access a certain char etc. Does this happen regularly or in some apps only? What do you attempt/wish to do when this happens?

Guillaume

Jan 25, 2018, 7:31:51 AM1/25/18
to Ukelele Users
Indeed, I guess there is a particular event that triggered the issue, but it's not simple to debug this as I cannot switch back to my custom keyboard and try to reproduce the bug :/
I attached the custom keyboard.
Also, I'm using Karabiner Elements, but I just used it to remap one key (CAPS Lock to F13). Could it be a source of failure?

Thank you
gui8.keylayout

Sorin Paliga

Jan 25, 2018, 7:35:08 AM1/25/18
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com

Indeed, I guess there is a particular event that triggered the issue, but it's not simple to debug this as I cannot switch back to my custom keyboard and try to reproduce the bug :/
Why can’t you do that?

I attached the custom keyboard.
I will have a look at it.

Also, I'm using Karabiner Elements, but I just used it to remap one key (CAPS Lock to F13). Could it be a source of failure?
Possibly, one can never know, such system changes may lead to problems. The rational way to find out if indeed so is to revert to the initial state, without the change in Karabiner.
<gui8.keylayout>

Guillaume

Jan 25, 2018, 7:44:26 AM1/25/18
to Ukelele Users
I cannot switch back because the custom keyboard is disabled from the input sources, as can be seen in the screenshot (I just cannot click on it).
It usually remains disable for a bit, then for some reasons becomes available again after a while, etc.

Sorin Paliga

Jan 25, 2018, 7:44:41 AM1/25/18
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
I do not see any issue with your keylayout. After logging out and log in again, it behaves normally. BTW, did you log out and log in again AFTER installing it?

<gui8.keylayout>

Gé van Gasteren

Jan 25, 2018, 7:55:55 AM1/25/18
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Great, so Sorin has confirmed that your keyboard layout is OK.

The thing to try next would be to disable Karabiner Elements (and probably restart the Mac) then see if you can activate your keyboard layout.

<gui8.keylayout>

Guillaume

Jan 26, 2018, 12:36:17 AM1/26/18
to Ukelele Users
Thank you all for your help! I disabled Karabiner + restarted, and it seems to be working for now (no issues after 1 hour). Then I opened Karabiner and still no issue.
How critical is it to log out / log in after installing the keylayout? It looks like that was the issue. I logged in / logged out the first time, then I edited the layout and probably forgot to restart again, sorry about that...
<gui8.keylayout>

Gé van Gasteren

Jan 26, 2018, 2:44:42 AM1/26/18
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Guillaume,

The standard procedure after installing a custom keyboard layout is to log out and log in again.

Think how the OS manages keyboard layouts: it loads them from disk during log in and addresses them through their ID#.
If you then install a newer version of that keyboard layout on the disk, this is somehow registered, but now the OS sees two layouts with the same name and ID# ! How is it going to decide which one to use? I can imagine it thinks something is wrong there and grays out the menu option to avoid a conflict that might crash the computer.

I’m not sure this is how it works, actually, but keyboard layouts are system software, after all, so it’s good to behave…