Combining vowel ogonek + acute accents.

bob...@languageconservancy.org

Mar 13, 2015, 1:51:27 PM3/13/15
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
I am creating a keyboard for use with the Mandan, Hidatsa, and Arikara languages. I need to reassign a key to show a lower case "a' with ogonek and an acute accent. Also need to do that with "A", "i", and "u". Using the application Glyphs, I have created a version of Arial adding each of these characters and assigned PUA unicode values. But they do not copy and paste to the Ukelele keyboard layout. Am also not having any luck with using unicode values for editing any key. (have tried &#xnnnn with no luck.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob Rugh
The Language Conservancy

Deborah Goldsmith

Mar 13, 2015, 2:11:04 PM3/13/15
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
You could just use the sequence a-with-ogonek and combining acute (U+0105 U+0301). It renders fine on Mac OS X, with no custom fonts required: ą́

You don’t even need a custom keyboard. You can type it with the US Extended keyboard via option-m/a/option-shift-e. If you still want a custom keyboard, just assign the whole cluster to a key. There is no requirement that keyboard keys generate a single Unicode code point — they can generate an arbitrary string.

Deborah

Bob Rugh

Mar 13, 2015, 2:16:59 PM3/13/15
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Deborah. I do need to make a custom keyboard, actually have already done a beta version and need to add characters. The Ukelele Help isn't very clear on adding unicode values. Whenever I try I just get the literal code instead of the character. Can you assist me on that ?

Thanks!

Deborah Goldsmith

Mar 13, 2015, 2:18:36 PM3/13/15
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Someone else should address the issues you’re experiencing with hex value input, but you can type the sequences I mentioned using the US Extended keyboard and enter them as literals.

Debbie

Bob Rugh

Mar 13, 2015, 2:25:26 PM3/13/15
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Okay, thanks I will try that.

Bob

Geke

Mar 13, 2015, 3:21:13 PM3/13/15
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bob,

The method with US Extended is most intuitive. The &#xnnn; method also works—but only if you include the semicolon. (I’ve been there...)

Test your keyboard in all possible programs; I don’t know how universal the support is for keyboard layouts generating more than one Unicode codepoint.
I am specifically thinking Microsoftware in this respect; you may have to use a custom font after all.

If you already have keys assigned to the ą į ų (the characters with just an ogonek) you could consider adding those to the definition of the "dead key" for the acute accent.
Then you don’t need to assign extra keys to the combinations with acute.

You’re right, there’s an error in the Help: the passage in the topic "Editing a keyboard layout/Numeric notation" should read as follows:

Keyboard layouts use the standard XML notation for describing such code points. A code point is in one of the following forms:
• &#xnnnn;
• &#nnnn;

The first form is hexadecimal, and the number represented as nnnn is a hexadecimal number, containing digits 0-9, and letters A-F or a-f. Leading zeros are optional.
The second form is decimal, and the number represented as nnnn is a decimal number, containing digits 0-9.

Sorin Paliga

Mar 13, 2015, 3:24:04 PM3/13/15
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
The solution to what you need is a dedicated keylayout, useful if you extensively write in these languages, or a generic, linguist’s keybaord layout, like US Academic I created many years ago, free download, together with other keylayouts, here:
I argumented that it is better than Apple’s offer, U.S. Extended, because it does not cover all the possible combinations and also it is not mnemotechnical. You may get any combination you wish, as attached.
Nevertheless, if you wish to create a custom keylayout, with something like a with ogonek and acute accent, you should get this by copying and pasting the combination into a custom keylayout, disregarding how you wish to get that, at zero level or via option/alt key.

Sorin Paliga

Mar 13, 2015, 3:27:45 PM3/13/15
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
O, yes, I forgot to add the detail that, wishing to create custom combinations of diacritical marks, two requirements should be met: 1. the font must include the characters; 2. the word processor must handle combined characters. the good news is that both the new generation of Pages and the beta version of Word (2016) may handle this. For long, Nisus and TextEdit can handle CDM’s, and also Mellel, with OpenType fonts.
Current versions of Word, older versions of Pages, current version of OpenOffice and LibreOffice etc. cannot handle CDM’s.