Troubleshooting steps 2

Steve White

Apr 3, 2017, 10:48:37 AM4/3/17
to Ukelele Users
I've learned that the user I'm trying to help with enabling the SIL Ethiopic keyboard is seeing the flag for the keyboard in his list of keyboard on the menu bar, but it is not activating when he chooses it. He has tried in TextEdit and in Pages, with the same result.

Any ideas to help?

Steve

Tom Gewecke

Apr 3, 2017, 11:29:14 AM4/3/17
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com, steve...@sil.org
So he tries to select Ethiopic but US or something else remains what he sees in the menu bar at the top right of the screen?  Or Ethiopic appears in the menu bar, but when he types it is still US or something else?

Make sure he has Siri turned off and the shortcut for it set to None, in case he might be using that feature.  It can cause problems with keyboards not switching.

Gé van Gasteren

Apr 3, 2017, 5:16:07 PM4/3/17
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
There have been some issues reported here in the recent past where a keyboard layout installed in the User’s account seemed to be "rejected" by some software, much like a requested font that’s not available or faulty is silently replaced by a fallback font.
The "remedy" was then to install it in the System-wide keyboard layouts folder.
As long as we don’t know what is the cause of this behavior, it might be best practice to always install system-wide just to rule out one cause of problems.