Command key combinations do not work

Anatoliy

Aug 27, 2011, 8:17:12 AM8/27/11
to Ukelele Users
I created a new keyboard layout (Cyrillic, Ukrainian) based on other
already working layout with latest version of Ukelele 2.1.7.
Everything went fine except that Command key combinations (cmd+a, cmd
+c, cmd+v, etc.) do not work even if they worked on the original
layout. What did I do wrong? I did not change anything except more
convenient letter and punctuation keys layout. Please help.

Sorin Paliga

Aug 27, 2011, 8:48:41 AM8/27/11
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
If this happens, it means the command+any key level is not well mapped. In order to check this, activate your keylayout and open Keyboard Viewer. Now, when you press the Command key, you should see the basic ASCII letters, i.e. the basic Latin letters + several punctuation marks. If you do not see these, it means you did something wrong with Command level.

Anatoliy

Aug 27, 2011, 10:34:18 AM8/27/11
to Ukelele Users
Thank you for the advice, actually, after pressing the Command key I
just saw precisely what you said is normal, "the basic ASCII letters,
i.e. the basic Latin letters + several punctuation marks", according
to your definition, I did not do anything wrong with Command level.
Actually I did not do anything at all with Command level, just changed
layout of keys, I did not go anywhere deeper. Could it be some bug
with the new Ukelele version? I did layouts before with other (MS)
software no problem. And the situation with the Ukelele should be
pretty much self evident - the soft is good, streamlined. Still, after
reading the manual I did not find any solution yet.

On Aug 27, 3:48 pm, Sorin Paliga <sorin.pal...@gmail.com> wrote:
> If this happens, it means the command+any key level is not well mapped. In order to check this, activate your keylayout and open Keyboard Viewer. Now, when you press the Command key, you should see t If you do not see these, it means you did something wrong with Command level.

Sorin Paliga

Aug 27, 2011, 11:12:50 AM8/27/11
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Well, a bug is always possible. What happens if you open a Cyrillic keylayout, any (e.g. the one in the UKELELE package), and resave it with another name? Does it work as expected? If yes, the problem is with UKELELE, if not—
If you see the usual ASCII letters when pressing command key, it should work, cannot figure why it doesn’t.

John Brownie

Aug 27, 2011, 12:57:44 PM8/27/11
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
On 27/08/11 18:12 Sorin Paliga wrote:
> Well, a bug is always possible. What happens if you open a Cyrillic keylayout, any (e.g. the one in the UKELELE package), and resave it with another name? Does it work as expected? If yes, the problem is with UKELELE, if not�
> If you see the usual ASCII letters when pressing command key, it should work, cannot figure why it doesn�t.

That's good advice. What version of Mac OS X are you running? If all
else fails, you can email me the keyboard layout, and I can take a look
at it next week.

I don't think that there are any bugs in Ukelele of this type, so there
is likely to be something else happening. More details will help, such
as what applications you are using when it doesn't behave (only one or a
few, or all applications?), whether it happens with just that one
keyboard layout or other keyboard layouts, and anything else that you
might think relevant. Hopefully we'll find a solution for you!

John
--
John Brownie, john_b...@sil.org or j.br...@sil.org.pg
On furlough in Finland from:

Sorin Paliga

Aug 27, 2011, 1:13:20 PM8/27/11
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Lapsus calami: if it works as expected, then the problem is NOT with UKELELE, sorry for not adding the essential word.
Otherwise, yes, the more details, the sooner the answer to the issue.

On 27.08.2011, at 19:57, John Brownie wrote:

> On 27/08/11 18:12 Sorin Paliga wrote:

>> Well, a bug is always possible. What happens if you open a Cyrillic keylayout, any (e.g. the one in the UKELELE package), and resave it with another name? Does it work as expected? If yes, the problem is with UKELELE, if not—
>> If you see the usual ASCII letters when pressing command key, it should work, cannot figure why it doesn’t.

> That's good advice. What version of Mac OS X are you running? If all else fails, you can email me the keyboard layout, and I can take a look at it next week.
>
> I don't think that there are any bugs in Ukelele of this type, so there is likely to be something else happening. More details will help, such as what applications you are using when it doesn't behave (only one or a few, or all applications?), whether it happens with just that one keyboard layout or other keyboard layouts, and anything else that you might think relevant. Hopefully we'll find a solution for you!
>
> John
> --
> John Brownie, john_b...@sil.org or j.br...@sil.org.pg
> On furlough in Finland from:
> Summer Institute of Linguistics | Mussau-Emira language, Mussau Is.
> Ukarumpa, Eastern Highlands Province | New Ireland Province
> Papua New Guinea | Papua New Guinea

Geke

Aug 27, 2011, 11:21:27 PM8/27/11
to Ukelele Users
Anatoliy,

Maybe the keyboard you took uses the same table for Command-key
combinations as for the "standard" keystrokes without any modifier key
pressed.
That would mean that when you changed the standard keystrokes, you
changed the Cmd-key combinations as well.
The solution to this is to first duplicate the relevant table, and re-
link the Cmd-key combinations to the copy. Then your changes to the
first table won't affect the Cmd-key combinations..

To check if this could be the case, please let us know which keyboard
you took as the original for your project. Some layouts have already
separated tables (like Cyrillic...), others have shared tables as
described above.

Anatoliy

Aug 31, 2011, 6:15:59 AM8/31/11
to Ukelele Users
John, It works perfectly, thank you very much! Thank you for the great
program and your prompt help.

Anatoliy

On Aug 27, 7:57 pm, John Brownie <john_brow...@sil.org> wrote:
> On 27/08/11 18:12 Sorin Paliga wrote:
>
> > Well, a bug is always possible. What happens if you open a Cyrillic keylayout, any (e.g. the one in the UKELELE package), and resave it with another name? Does it work as expected? If yes, the problem is with UKELELE, if not
> > If you see the usual ASCII letters when pressing command key, it should work, cannot figure why it doesn t.
>
> That's good advice. What version of Mac OS X are you running? If all
> else fails, you can email me the keyboard layout, and I can take a look
> at it next week.
>
> I don't think that there are any bugs in Ukelele of this type, so there
> is likely to be something else happening. More details will help, such
> as what applications you are using when it doesn't behave (only one or a
> few, or all applications?), whether it happens with just that one
> keyboard layout or other keyboard layouts, and anything else that you
> might think relevant. Hopefully we'll find a solution for you!
>
> John
> --
> John Brownie, john_brow...@sil.org or j.brow...@sil.org.pg

John Brownie

Aug 31, 2011, 6:18:48 AM8/31/11
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
To let you all know the outcome, it turned out that the script code was
set incorrectly in the keyboard layout file. I'm not sure how that
happened (perhaps a manual edit of the XML?), but it was set to Georgian
rather than Cyrillic, and Georgian is not actually supported by OS X � I
think it was only with KCHR resource-based keyboard layouts. So setting
the script to Cyrillic within Ukelele made it work properly.

Benjamin Garcia del Gaiso

Jun 12, 2016, 6:46:56 PM6/12/16
to Ukelele Users, aprok...@gmail.com
Just save the layout like "Keyboard Layout" in "File Format" on ukelele... don't save your layout like "Keyboard Layout Bundle".

Regards,
Benjamin Garcia del Gaiso