+ coming up as =

Old Bean

Sep 12, 2016, 12:06:49 PM9/12/16
to Ukelele Users
Hi, guys!

I hope this hasn't been asked before.  But here's the scoop: I am a teacher, and I created a keyboard layout to help me enter grades into powerschool: I created a column of two keys, with the left key being "A", "B", "C", etc. and the right key being a "+" for each one, so as to speed up grade entry (I could enter in "A+" or whichever with a very quick two-key stroke).  Using the java-based applet, everything was working fine.

However, we recently upgraded to the "pro" version, which is an online service (I believe written in HTML5), and all of the "+"s now show up as its non-shifted counterpart, the "=" sign.  (Furthermore, when I press shift, I get a shifted qwerty keyboard—for example, one of the + symbols was where "w" is in qwerty, and when I press shift, I get a capital W.)

Can you guys think of any way for this to be taking my outputs correctly?  What is happening here?

Thank you!

Old Bean

Sorin Paliga

Sep 12, 2016, 1:41:13 PM9/12/16
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Looks like a problem of the application. Some apps treat quotation marks, dots/commas and other chars are specific, e.g. dot or commas as decimal separators, depending on the country you set the system. Otherwise, I am afraid I cannot reproduce the issue. Perhaps you may put the keylayout here so we may have a look at it. How did you create it? Starting from the scratch or adapting an existing one? the latter variant is always recommended, as that keylayout includes some system hidden commands.

Old Bean

Sep 12, 2016, 2:16:55 PM9/12/16
to Ukelele Users
Hi, Cattus Thraex,

Thank you for your assistance!  I have uploaded it.

I did start it from scratch, so, yes, perhaps starting with something similar might help.

It seems to be that the program on powerschool is taking only its unshifted value (e.g. =, not its shifted value, +, etc.).  Is there a way to enter in an ascii code or something like that that is recognized only as +?

For now, as you'll see, I've added most of the keyboard again, but into the shifted portion, so that I can hold down (or maybe tape down?) the shift key, the + symbol does indeed come up for all the +s.

Thank you!
PowerSchool 2.2 copy.keylayout

Sorin Paliga

Sep 12, 2016, 2:23:51 PM9/12/16
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
I see...
I would suggest to create a new starting from an existing one in the system, e.g. U.S. or anything else, modify its initial name and give another ID (the system reportedly solves the ‘same ID issue’, but one can never know).
Your keylayout lacks some other system commands, and perhaps some apps cannot handle this.
<PowerSchool 2.2 copy.keylayout>

Gé van Gasteren

Sep 12, 2016, 4:28:18 PM9/12/16
to ukelel...@googlegroups.com
Did I understand correctly that your problem is solved, in that your layout now produces the + sign?

To "tape down" the shift key, there is a special provision on most keyboards, called the CapsLock key ... :-)