Do Virgin PAYG SIMs ever expire?

Graham.

Jan 31, 2012, 7:28:48 PM1/31/12

I recently found a Nokia 1100 down a crevice in the sofa that was last
seen (according to the call and text logs) in July 2006.
To my surprise the SIM is still active.

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Andrew Benham

Feb 1, 2012, 12:10:59 PM2/1/12
On Wed, 01 Feb 2012 00:28:48 +0000, Graham. wrote:

> I recently found a Nokia 1100 down a crevice in the sofa that was last
> seen (according to the call and text logs) in July 2006. To my surprise
> the SIM is still active.

http://www.virginmobile.com/vm/genericContent.do?
contentId=our.service.footer.sm068

is a good place to look. Section 3.8 (for original Pay and Go)
states that if you don't use the service every 90 days then they may
suspend your access and cancel the agreement.

But I guess that "may" != "will".

Graham.

Feb 1, 2012, 3:11:46 PM2/1/12
!!update!!

After being on for about 24 hours the phone now displays
"SIM card registration failed"

Go figure.

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Theo Markettos

Feb 1, 2012, 3:19:24 PM2/1/12
Graham. <m...@privacy.net> wrote:
> !!update!!
>
> After being on for about 24 hours the phone now displays
> "SIM card registration failed"
>
> Go figure.

Was it usable to make a call in that time? Sometimes SIM cards claim to be
alive but don't actually make calls. If it did make a call, I wonder if you
can complain that it should stay alive because 'I made a chargeable call in
the last 6 months' :-)

Theo

Graham.

Feb 1, 2012, 3:43:03 PM2/1/12
On 01 Feb 2012 20:19:24 +0000 (GMT), Theo Markettos
It allowed me to make a call to the top-up service, even threatened to
put me through to a human if I pressed the right buttons.
Also sent an automatic text if I attempted to call another mobile
requesting them to call me back.

I can't figure out the logic that keeps a dormant SIM active for 5 1/2
years and then gets killed shortly after reappearing on the network
when there is a good chance it might get topped up.

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%