John Lewis ISP no MX or A record

Marmaduke Jinks

Nov 14, 2015, 6:12:40 AM11/14/15
Hi

I'm getting an email fail message when trying to send an email.

Server: 'smtpmail.waitrose.com',
Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '550 <xxxxx> sender rejected - invalid
domain (no MX or A record)'

Are any other John Lewis ISP (ex-Waitrose) users getting this? Browsing is
fine; so internet is ok.

--
MJ

Andy Burns

Nov 14, 2015, 6:21:54 AM11/14/15
Marmaduke Jinks wrote:

> Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '550 <xxxxx> sender rejected - invalid
> domain (no MX or A record)'

Without knowing at least the domain (i.e. the part after the @ not the
full email address) you're trying to send to, nobody can help ...

Marmaduke Jinks

Nov 14, 2015, 6:28:20 AM11/14/15
"Andy Burns" <usenet....@adslpipe.co.uk> wrote in message
Ok Andy Burns.

I think they have an issue with their mail server and have told them so.
But just curious to see if any other JLP user had this issue.

MJ

Graham J

Nov 14, 2015, 9:53:00 AM11/14/15
If you send an email to "us...@domain.com" the hosting service for
"domain.com" provides the MX and A records, and these are published via
the internet's DNS mechanism.

If your error message occurs for a specific email address, then the most
likely reason is that you have mis-typed it.

If it occurs for every email address then the Waitrose mail server isn't
working properly. But if that were the case many (not necessarily all)
other Waitrose users would have the same problem.

--
Graham J

Ian Prideaux

Nov 14, 2015, 10:51:48 AM11/14/15
The waitrose mta is rejecting the message because the sender's domain
(i.e. your domain) does not have MX or A records, or at least, it fails
when it tries to look them up.

Mike Humphrey

Nov 14, 2015, 12:38:28 PM11/14/15
Graham J wrote:

> Marmaduke Jinks wrote:
>> "Andy Burns" <usenet....@adslpipe.co.uk> wrote in message

>>> Without knowing at least the domain (i.e. the part after the @ not the
>>> full email address) you're trying to send to, nobody can help ...
>>>
>> Ok Andy Burns.
>>
>> I think they have an issue with their mail server and have told them so.
>> But just curious to see if any other JLP user had this issue.
>>

> If you send an email to "us...@domain.com" the hosting service for
> "domain.com" provides the MX and A records, and these are published via
> the internet's DNS mechanism.
>
> If your error message occurs for a specific email address, then the most
> likely reason is that you have mis-typed it.

Except that it says *sender* rejected, so it's the "from" email address
that is the problem. It's an anti-spam measure, not allowing you to send
mails from addresses that can't accept replies.
So the OP needs to check what address he is sending *from* - it's that
domain that (potentially) has a problem.

Mike

MikeS

Nov 14, 2015, 1:19:19 PM11/14/15
"Marmaduke Jinks" <Ji...@Totopoly.com> wrote in message
I also have an old Waitrose account (from free dial-up ISP days) which was
working recently. Just tried to send a message and got this error:

The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected by
the server. The rejected e-mail address was .......... Server:
'smtpmail.waitrose.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '550
<.............> recipient rejected - relay denied', Port: 25, Secure(SSL):
No, Server Error: 550, Error Number: 0x800CCC79

The "rejected e-mail address" was my regular business email which is fine
from other ISPs.

Graham J

Nov 14, 2015, 1:25:57 PM11/14/15
In my experience "550" error messages often contain misleading text. It
may have something to do with the difference between American and
English, or that it is translated from the Jamenese!

But your interpretation might be correct ...

If the OP tells us the email address he is sending from (if he
understands what that is) then that may resolve it.

--
Graham J

Graham J

Nov 14, 2015, 1:38:31 PM11/14/15
So here we have misleading text as discussed in my recent post.

The "recipient rejected" part suggests a problem with the destination
address - which is unlikely given it is a business address that works
from other ISPs.

The "relay denied" part suggests a problem with your authentication as a
sender. Further "Error Number: 0x800CCC79" also suggests a failure to
authenticate.

Is your client set to authenticate?

What sort of security does smtpmail.waitrose.com require? It might be
SSl, or TSL or ...???

It's quite likely that a port other than 25 is required by
smtpmail.waitrose.com - possibly 465 or 587.

If you have the correct settings for smtpmail.waitrose.com and you know
these settings have worked recently then there may indeed be something
wrong with smtpmail.waitrose.com.

--
Graham J

Plusnet Support Team

Nov 14, 2015, 6:42:05 PM11/14/15
The problem is verification of the sending 'waitrose.com' address.
Earlier today the domain was inadvertently stripped of its MX records.
The relay server you're sending through will have checked you were
sending from a valid email address. The lack of MX records will have
suggested the address wasn't real.

The problem is resolved now, so DNS propagation allowing, things should
start working again shortly (if they haven't already).

--
|Bob Pullen Broadband Solutions for
|Support Home & Business @
|Plusnet Plc. www.plus.net

MikeS

Nov 15, 2015, 4:12:43 PM11/15/15
"Plusnet Support Team" <sup...@plus.net> wrote in message
Just tried again with port 587 (which it should have been) but same result.

Plusnet Support Team

Nov 16, 2015, 8:18:48 AM11/16/15
> Just tried again with port 587 (which it should have been) but same result.

The port shouldn't have any bearing on things.

waitrose.com definitely has MX records now:

> >nslookup -type=mx waitrose.com

> Non-authoritative answer:
> waitrose.com MX preference = 10, mail exchanger = mx-ironport.core.plus.net
> waitrose.com MX preference = 20, mail exchanger = mx-ironport.last.plus.net

Are you sure your account is still active? Can you log into Webmail and
send an email from there? - https://webmail.waitrose.com

MikeS

Nov 16, 2015, 4:30:43 PM11/16/15
"Plusnet Support Team" <sup...@plus.net> wrote in message
Logged in via webmail last night w/o problems and sent you an email at
Plusnet support.(Titled FAO Bob Pullen .....)

Just tried again with both OE6 and Thunderbird. Both failed even though both
were fine a couple of weeks ago when setting up and testing Thunderbird. As
noted earlier this is with smtpmail.waitrose.com and trying 25 and 587 (I
think I put 587 in TB after finding something about the servers on the
Waitrose or John Lewis web site).

Plusnet Support Team

Nov 17, 2015, 9:43:05 AM11/17/15
> Logged in via webmail last night w/o problems and sent you an email at
> Plusnet support.(Titled FAO Bob Pullen .....)
>
> Just tried again with both OE6 and Thunderbird. Both failed even though both
> were fine a couple of weeks ago when setting up and testing Thunderbird. As
> noted earlier this is with smtpmail.waitrose.com and trying 25 and 587 (I
> think I put 587 in TB after finding something about the servers on the
> Waitrose or John Lewis web site).

And you're definitely still getting this error?

> Server:
> 'smtpmail.waitrose.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '550
> <.............> recipient rejected

Are there any 'stale' messages stuck in your outbox? If so, try deleting
them all and starting from scratch.

My posting email address is unmonitored BTW (bad practice, I know) so
I'll not have seen your message.

MikeS

Nov 18, 2015, 1:44:57 AM11/18/15
"Plusnet Support Team" <sup...@plus.net> wrote in message
Nothing in the outbox (I deleted them when they failed). In the message I
said I am not using Waitrose or John Lewis (or Plusnet) as ISP and asked if
you have made any changes to reject send requests via other ISPs. I know
that this was common with free email accounts in dial up days.
Thanks.

thesimpsons

Nov 18, 2015, 3:45:44 AM11/18/15
Nothing in the outbox (I deleted them when they failed). In the message I
said I am not using Waitrose or John Lewis (or Plusnet) as ISP and asked if
you have made any changes to reject send requests via other ISPs. I know
that this was common with free email accounts in dial up days.
Thanks.

In server properties have you tried selecting-
"Outgoing server requires authentication"

Plusnet Support Team

Nov 18, 2015, 12:40:53 PM11/18/15
> Nothing in the outbox (I deleted them when they failed). In the message I
> said I am not using Waitrose or John Lewis (or Plusnet) as ISP and asked if
> you have made any changes to reject send requests via other ISPs. I know
> that this was common with free email accounts in dial up days.
> Thanks.

As long as you're using SMTP authentication then you should be fine.
Having said that, this feature is only enabled for subscription accounts
so you'd need to be paying Waitrose something for the account in order
for it to work.

If you're not, and it's been working up until recently, then you've been
lucky.

Marmaduke Jinks

Nov 18, 2015, 6:02:32 PM11/18/15
"Graham J" <gra...@invalid.com> wrote in message