New TV but NO SCART...Help

iCod

Aug 17, 2011, 2:36:20 AM8/17/11
It seems that all new TV's don't have a scart connector only HDMI or
DVI-D. How do I connect my SCART only sky box?

Any help appreciated

John

Aug 17, 2011, 2:45:00 AM8/17/11

Here you go, http://tinyurl.com/4x2y37c

David

Aug 17, 2011, 3:47:47 AM8/17/11

"iCod" <sir...@lineone.net> wrote in message

> It seems that all new TV's don't have a scart connector only HDMI or
> DVI-D. How do I connect my SCART only sky box?

Not heard of this before, is it a grey imported TV set?
Please post make and model so others can avoid.

You could contact SKY and tell them you are no longer able to use their
services due to new TV set and tell them for you to continue as a customer
you would require a box with HDMi connection, at no cost of course.
Regards
David

the dog from that film you saw

Aug 17, 2011, 12:46:23 PM8/17/11

most tvs still have scarts - only ones i've seen without were some even
thinner than normal samsung ones - if you want scart, get a tv with one.

--
Gareth.
That fly.... Is your magic wand.

Graham.

Aug 17, 2011, 1:58:09 PM8/17/11

"iCod" <sir...@lineone.net> wrote in message news:u5om47tkb1p9vl5g6...@4ax.com...
> It seems that all new TV's don't have a scart connector only HDMI or
> DVI-D. How do I connect my SCART only sky box?
>
> Any help appreciated

I haven't noticed this trend myself. Can you give examples?
If the set has a PAL analogue tuner you could connect the SKY box via RF.
With other STBs eg Freeview you have to make sure the box has a built in modulator
the presence of an RF out socket is not in itself indicative of this.

Please note this is not an ideal solution, the picture wont be as good as RGB and
the sound through the TV will be mono.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Ron Lowe

Aug 17, 2011, 2:48:08 PM8/17/11
On 17/08/2011 07:36, iCod wrote:
> It seems that all new TV's don't have a scart connector

That's simply not true.

Plenty do.
You just need to look before you buy.

Message has been deleted

Paul Hyett

Aug 17, 2011, 12:25:27 PM8/17/11
On Wed, 17 Aug 2011 at 07:36:20, iCod <sir...@lineone.net> wrote in
uk.tech.tv.sky :

>It seems that all new TV's don't have a scart connector only HDMI or
>DVI-D. How do I connect my SCART only sky box?

Odd - all the ones I saw advertised when I was recently looking, seemed
to have at least one. In fact I wouldn't even consider one without a
scart.
--
Paul 'Charts Fan' Hyett

Dave S.

Aug 18, 2011, 9:34:48 AM8/18/11
"Ron Lowe" <d...@null.com> wrote in message

Perhaps a grammatical error rather than a factual one. I think he meant to
say that not all new TVs have a scart socket.

Dave S.

Adrian

Aug 18, 2011, 10:37:39 AM8/18/11

I didn't hear about the rules changing, at one time all TVs 20" and
above SCART sockets were mandatory.

--
Adrian

Message has been deleted

Mark Carver

Aug 19, 2011, 2:38:28 PM8/19/11

The latest range of Sony Bravia LCDs only now have one Scart input, last
year's range had two, and my old 1996 CRT had no less than 3, so there is a
downward trend for the Scart.

--
Mark

www.paras.org.uk

the dog from that film you saw

Aug 20, 2011, 7:46:57 AM8/20/11
On 19/08/2011 7:38 PM, Mark Carver wrote:

> The latest range of Sony Bravia LCDs only now have one Scart input, last
> year's range had two, and my old 1996 CRT had no less than 3, so there
> is a downward trend for the Scart.

but then scarts are becoming less neccesary.
on my tv,
sky box - hdmi
ps3 - hdmi
av amp - hdmi
pc - hdmi

only thing i'd use a scart for would be if i dug out an old games console.

Anti-Spam

Aug 27, 2011, 5:33:08 AM8/27/11
On Wed, 17 Aug 2011 07:36:20 +0100, iCod <sir...@lineone.net> wrote:

I can confirm there are TV's now being sold without a Scart. I tell my
customers to make sure it has at least one, before buying. Changing
box for HD model is not an option for all of us, as the $KY HD boxes
need loads of signal to work properly, so are not an option down here
in Spain. Of course, unless they go up a dish size, again not a real
option.

Message has been deleted

the dog from that film you saw

Aug 28, 2011, 4:55:23 AM8/28/11
On 27/08/2011 11:16 PM, Mike Henry wrote:
> In<75eh571mo7u4bbjl5...@4ax.com>, Anti-Spam<An...@Spam.com>

> wrote:
>> I can confirm there are TV's now being sold without a Scart. I tell my
>> customers to make sure it has at least one, before buying. Changing
>> box for HD model is not an option for all of us, as the $KY HD boxes
>> need loads of signal to work properly, so are not an option down here
>> in Spain. Of course, unless they go up a dish size, again not a real
>> option.
>
> Looks like Sky have found a way to combat the illegal black market in Sky
> viewing outside the UK then. When all the SD boxes have expired over the
> next few years, then all the ex-pats who live there will either have to
> embrace the Spanish culture they moved there for and watch Spanish TV, or
> come back to the UK if they really want our TV :-)

i fail to see how a hd box needs a better signal to receive a sd channel
than a sd box does - unless it has a hideous design flaw.

Message has been deleted

Anti-Spam

Aug 28, 2011, 3:39:24 PM8/28/11
On Sun, 28 Aug 2011 15:59:05 +0100, Mike Henry
<{$mrtickle$}@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>In <9bue3r...@mid.individual.net>, the dog from that film you saw

><d...@REMOVETHISbtinternet.com> wrote:
>
>>i fail to see how a hd box needs a better signal to receive a sd channel
>>than a sd box does - unless it has a hideous design flaw.
>

>Agreed. But Sky have a good record at introducing design flaws.

Not all makes/models of receivers work as well as each other, in
fringe reception areas, beit SD or HD. I was merely pointing out that
$KY receivers have generally declined in reception quality over the
years, this is especially so with the latest ones, which of course are
HD.

Graham.

Aug 29, 2011, 2:55:03 PM8/29/11

"Anti-Spam" <An...@Spam.com> wrote in message news:kv5l57l1c3md745hd...@4ax.com...

The zero IF (ZIF) tuners so beloved by Pace perform badly on the continent
because of they can't handle the wide dynamic range between adjacent transponders.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Anti-Spam

Sep 5, 2011, 5:17:19 AM9/5/11

The best $KY Digibox of all time (in terms of least pixelation with a
weak signal) for Spain is the Pace 2600C1.

Graham.

Sep 5, 2011, 5:59:23 AM9/5/11

"Anti-Spam" <An...@Spam.com> wrote in message news:cq4967lqpvp9s9q73...@4ax.com...

I think they have a "proper" tuner in them, I know they have always been highly recommended.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Chris R

Nov 22, 2011, 5:08:57 AM11/22/11

> "Paul Martin" wrote in message
>
> In article <kqom47d51qeri4mk2...@4ax.com>,
> Not helpful. GIYF is not the answer to every question.
>
> However, a certain amount of "caveat emptor" should apply here.

I'm really glad of the warning. I am about to splash out two grand on a
Samsung D8000 and it hadn't occurred to me to check whether it has Scart
inputs - which it seems it doesn't, so it will be as much use as a brick
until I also get a new Sky box and Blu-ray player. I'm intending to do that
but not necessarily on the same day, and it makes me nervous not being able
to use legacy equipment such as my "old" DVD recorder.
--
Chris R

Message has been deleted

Charles Ellson

Nov 22, 2011, 7:31:26 PM11/22/11
On Tue, 22 Nov 2011 11:49:31 +0000, "Anthony R. Gold"
<not-fo...@ahjg.co.uk> wrote:

>On Tue, 22 Nov 2011 10:08:57 -0000, "Chris R" <inv...@invalid.munge.co.uk>
>wrote:
>

>>> "Paul Martin" wrote in message

>>> Not helpful. GIYF is not the answer to every question.
>>>
>>> However, a certain amount of "caveat emptor" should apply here.
>>>

>> I'm really glad of the warning. I am about to splash out two grand on a
>> Samsung D8000 and it hadn't occurred to me to check whether it has Scart
>> inputs - which it seems it doesn't,
>
>Samsung does not agree:
>http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/tv-audio-video/television/led-tv/UE46D8000YUXXU-spec

It appears not to have a SCART but a short SCART to RGB adapter which
plugs into the "EXT 1 (RGB)" jack, see page 9 of the "Quick Guide"
linked from the support tab.

Chris R

Nov 23, 2011, 5:03:09 AM11/23/11

> "Anthony R. Gold" wrote in message
>
> On Tue, 22 Nov 2011 10:08:57 -0000, "Chris R"
> <inv...@invalid.munge.co.uk>
> wrote:
>

> >> "Paul Martin" wrote in message

> >> Not helpful. GIYF is not the answer to every question.
> >>
> >> However, a certain amount of "caveat emptor" should apply here.
> >>

> > I'm really glad of the warning. I am about to splash out two grand on a
> > Samsung D8000 and it hadn't occurred to me to check whether it has Scart
> > inputs - which it seems it doesn't,

The plot thickens - the equivalent page for the 55" model does not mention
Scarts:
http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/tv-audio-video/television/led-tv/UE55D8000YUXXU-spec
. But I think Charles is right, there seems to be an adapter cable included.

My only real reservation about the TV is whether it's worth paying for a
feature-packed TV which may end up as a dumb monitor for an AV amp that has
all the same features.
--
Chris R

========legalstuff========
I post to be helpful but not claiming any expertise nor intending
anyone to rely on what I say. Nothing I post here will create a
professional relationship or duty of care. I do not provide legal
services to the public. My posts here refer only to English law except
where specified and are subject to the terms (including limitations of
liability) at http://www.clarityincorporatelaw.co.uk/legalstuff.html
======end legalstuff======

Zero Tolerance

Nov 23, 2011, 9:55:34 AM11/23/11
On Wed, 23 Nov 2011 10:03:09 -0000, "Chris R"
<inv...@invalid.munge.co.uk> wrote:

>The plot thickens - the equivalent page for the 55" model does not mention
>Scarts:
>http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/tv-audio-video/television/led-tv/UE55D8000YUXXU-spec
>. But I think Charles is right, there seems to be an adapter cable included.

Realistically I think you would have great difficulty in buying a
modern television which does not have some way to accept a SCART
input.

Pendrag0n

Nov 23, 2011, 1:41:38 PM11/23/11
LOL anyone clicked that lately? Gives a free lecture on how to search,
or was that how you did the link? :)