Clearing out

Pinnerite

Dec 2, 2016, 11:24:40 AM12/2/16
We have been gradually clearing out our attic. I am a terrible hoarder.

Today I reached a couple of cardboard boxes containing all the built and
partly built radios and gadgets that have followed me through my life.

I'll bet the tuning capacitor with the 1/4" shaft came from my first crystal
set.

There are small boards with Hivac numicators on the end, the AM radio with
ferrite rod aerial that had been built into a drawer in my first marital
home, My first digital clock, several radios that use to go into Rothman's
packets before Clive Sinclair did much the same.

The jewels though were all those valves! ECC83, PCF84, EY86 on and on. Some
I promised to Bletchley Park as soon as I found them. Who though would want
the rest?

--
Mageia 5 for x86_64, Kernel:4.4.32-desktop-1.mga5

Brian Gaff

Dec 2, 2016, 11:54:49 AM12/2/16
Yes I found and gave to a friend a load of valves El38, and projection tubes
that give off x rays, those wire ended eht rectifiers, eye 51 was it, I
forget now.
Some valves were KT something or other and seemed to have a kind of zinc
covered envelope.

What about those little flat brown valves from hearing aids?

Incidentally, you can still use a Crystal set with a coil and capacitor. You
need a pudding basin to amplify the headphone output though.

Who remembers the zn 414, a kind of suouped up trf radio in a little can
with three legs.
Never really found much use for it at all, but damned clever for tis time.
Then there were unijuntion transistors great little oscillators to annoy
folk with.

I made a medium wave transmitter once using 20 OC44s as the pa. Not terribly
reliable unfortunately. It tended to melt itself down a lot and cost a lot
to fix, still we had access to mildly off spec oc44s at the time so...

I once even managed to get an OC35 to work on Medium wave but it was not
very efficient and had a problem with FM or something even though it was
not directly powered by the same supply. Must have been variable loading
from the base I guess.

Then there were the old UHF tuners we modified into tunable rf amps for long
distance work.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"Pinnerite" <pinn...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Kenny

Dec 2, 2016, 12:52:24 PM12/2/16
"Pinnerite" wrote in message news:o1s75o$quu$1...@dont-email.me...
Someone here may find a use for them.
bran...@yahoogroups.com

Jim Lesurf

Dec 2, 2016, 1:36:54 PM12/2/16
In article <o1s75o$quu$1...@dont-email.me>, Pinnerite <pinn...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> The jewels though were all those valves! ECC83, PCF84, EY86 on and on.
> Some I promised to Bletchley Park as soon as I found them. Who though
> would want the rest?

BVWS?

Jim

Electronics http://www.st-and.ac.uk/~www_pa/Scots_Guide/intro/electron.htm

Benderthe.evilrobot

Dec 3, 2016, 5:10:28 PM12/3/16

"Pinnerite" <pinn...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> We have been gradually clearing out our attic. I am a terrible hoarder.
>
> Today I reached a couple of cardboard boxes containing all the built and
> partly built radios and gadgets that have followed me through my life.
>
> I'll bet the tuning capacitor with the 1/4" shaft came from my first
> crystal
> set.
>
> There are small boards with Hivac numicators on the end, the AM radio with
> ferrite rod aerial that had been built into a drawer in my first marital
> home, My first digital clock, several radios that use to go into Rothman's
> packets before Clive Sinclair did much the same.
>
> The jewels though were all those valves! ECC83, PCF84, EY86 on and on.
> Some
> I promised to Bletchley Park as soon as I found them. Who though would
> want
> the rest?

Apart from a few wire-ended valves and a handful of B7G VHF tetrodes, all
may valves in several carrier bags went on Freegle.

There were a few TV horizontal output valves - some people use them for
guitar amps. Weird and wonderful heater voltages on those old 300mA chain
types, but a few people seem willing to work around it.

Terry Casey

Dec 5, 2016, 9:29:57 AM12/5/16
In article <o1s75o$quu$1...@dont-email.me>, pinn...@gmail.com says...

> The jewels though were all those valves! ECC83, PCF84, EY86 on and on. Some
> I promised to Bletchley Park as soon as I found them. Who though would want
> the rest?

Those valves are a bit too modern for Bletchley Park to be interested, I
would have thought.

Why not take a look at this site?

http://golbornevintageradio.co.uk/forum/index.php

I'm sure you'll find worthy homes for some, if not all, of your stuff - and
you might find the discussions interesting too!

Another forum you could try is:

http://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php?

Not as user friendly in my opinion, but has many more members.

Please read the rules of these forums before posting - particularly UKVRRR -
the Golbourne lot are much more relaxed.

--

Terry

---

Graham.

Dec 5, 2016, 8:22:35 PM12/5/16
On Mon, 5 Dec 2016 14:29:49 -0000, Terry Casey
<k.t...@example.invalid> wrote:

>In article <o1s75o$quu$1...@dont-email.me>, pinn...@gmail.com says...
>>
>> The jewels though were all those valves! ECC83, PCF84, EY86 on and on. Some
>> I promised to Bletchley Park as soon as I found them. Who though would want
>> the rest?
>
>Those valves are a bit too modern for Bletchley Park to be interested, I
>would have thought.
>
>Why not take a look at this site?
>
>http://golbornevintageradio.co.uk/forum/index.php
>
>I'm sure you'll find worthy homes for some, if not all, of your stuff - and
>you might find the discussions interesting too!
>
>Another forum you could try is:
>
>http://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php?
>
>Not as user friendly in my opinion, but has many more members.
>
>Please read the rules of these forums before posting - particularly UKVRRR -
>the Golbourne lot are much more relaxed.

Crikey, yes. I registered in 2010 and asked a question about the
identity of my first transistor radio, quick as a flash one of the
mods emailed me to say that the age I said I was when I had the radio,
didn't tally with the DOB I had submitted when registering.

I withdrew back to Usenet!

I've only recently started posting there again.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Terry Casey

Dec 9, 2016, 3:40:06 PM12/9/16
In article <do3c4chqo06hmedg0...@4ax.com>, graham-
use...@mail.com says...
Ah! That sounds like UKVRRR! Try Golbourne - much friendlier and helpful too.