Acton Bridge to Wrenbury via Chester?

Terry Ransom

Feb 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/21/00
In march it looks like I will be picking up Otter from Acton Bridge near
Preston Brook and at the end of the week leave it for the other owners ( for
the season ) at Wrenbury. I would like to take the opportunity to visit
Chester. Is this " a lock too far " ? I would be happy to wind before
Chester and visit by Public Transport a sort of " Park and Ride ". However
If it is going to be a Marathon effort I would leave Chester till the summer
fortnight and visit more Pubs!
What does the team think ?
Regards
Terry Ransom ( 1/12 NB Otter )

David Long

Feb 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/21/00
In article <88q252$ik$2...@epos.tesco.net>, Terry Ransom
<Terry.Ransom@?.net> writes

Should be easily done... I assume you've checked everything is open
then?
It will be quiet in March - so no delays on the Middlewich branch, which
you should reach the end of on your first day. Chester you should reach
during your second day - so you could have a few hours in the town
before and after overnighting. You could almost reach Wrenbury by your
third night.
You could have a really relaxed cruise, dropping down the staircase into
Tower Wharf, in the week you have.
--
David Long
Sankey Canal Restoration Society

Terry Ransom

Feb 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/21/00
Thanks David
Last Easter we went from Whitchurch to LLangollen and back in a week, part
Hectic and part Very lazily, on a Viking Hire Cruiser. Based on the pace
obtained there my original plan was from Wrenbury to Chester and back in the
week and deciding on entering Chester nearer to the time of arrival but this
was before I found out that the boat may be at Acton Bridge. Obviously all
those lift bridges took there toll !
I have been lead to believe that there will be no restrictions by then but
who knows for certain ? BW works in mysterious ways...Oops Sorry :>)

David Long <Da...@scars.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

Brian Holt

Feb 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/21/00

Terry Ransom wrote in message <88q252$ik$2...@epos.tesco.net>...

>In march it looks like I will be picking up Otter from Acton Bridge near
>Preston Brook and at the end of the week leave it for the other owners

for
>the season ) at Wrenbury.

Snippy

>Regards
>Terry Ransom ( 1/12 NB Otter )

Some one else who needs to invest in Syd's canal planner

--

Brian from sunny Suffolk by the river Hundred who also posts to the Mailing
list at www.ukwaterways.net. and UKCa...@onelist.com

Terry Ransom

Feb 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/22/00
I don't believe that a computer program can beat local knowledge. Not seen
Syds offering, but on land Autoroute is fine giving relative views on the
type of journey but the times are hardley definitive. When you have
experience of a particular system then a planner program can be used, with a
suitable weighting, to ensure that a journey is paced properly.
The main point being is that I have not been on that part of the system and
not early in the year! Cos I'm a soft soverner guv. :>)
Regards Terry Ransom

Brian Holt <Brian...@tesco.net> wrote in message

Brian Holt

Feb 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/22/00
I ant far norf me self

--

Brian from sunny Suffolk by the river Hundred who also posts to the Mailing
list at www.ukwaterways.net. and UKCa...@onelist.com

Julian T

Feb 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/23/00
In article <88uru1$kgp$1...@epos.tesco.net>, Terry Ransom
<Terry.Ransom@?.net> writes

>I don't believe that a computer program can beat local knowledge. Not seen
>Syds offering, but on land Autoroute is fine giving relative views on the
>type of journey but the times are hardley definitive. When you have
>experience of a particular system then a planner program can be used, with a
>suitable weighting, to ensure that a journey is paced properly.
One of the best features of Syds planner is the input that has been put
in from users of the system at all times of year, both in pictures and
gazetteers in effect giving you the "local knowledge" that is so
necessary.
--
Julian T

Guy Morgan

Feb 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/23/00
In article <6PnsDKAa$Et4...@publiconline.co.uk>, Julian T
<idle...@publiconline.co.uk> writes
I agree Julian. The other thing to be clear about - and I know Syd
would agree - is that it isn't nor does it set out to be a canal
autoroute. It isn't able or intended to find a route but to give time
and distance information on a route entered by the user.

I mention this only 'cos a while ago someone posted a somewhat critical
comment on it, the main thrust of which was that it didn't work out the
shortest/quickest route from A to B via C given A, B and C.

I think it's a most useful piece of software. Perfect it ain't but
what is. Suffice it to say my biggest grumble is the garish colour
scheme and no means of choosing a quieter one!!

Cheers

Guy
--
Guy Morgan

David Birtwisle

Feb 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/24/00
In article <5kWBPCAf...@onelight.demon.co.uk>, Guy Morgan
<g...@onelight.demon.co.uk> writes

>In article <6PnsDKAa$Et4...@publiconline.co.uk>, Julian T
><idle...@publiconline.co.uk> writes
>>In article <88uru1$kgp$1...@epos.tesco.net>, Terry Ransom
>><Terry.Ransom@?.net> writes
>>>I don't believe that a computer program can beat local knowledge. Not seen
>>>Syds offering, but on land Autoroute is fine giving relative views on the
>>>type of journey but the times are hardley definitive.

>I agree Julian. The other thing to be clear about - and I know Syd

>would agree - is that it isn't nor does it set out to be a canal
>autoroute. It isn't able or intended to find a route but to give time
>and distance information on a route entered by the user.
>

>I think it's a most useful piece of software. Perfect it ain't but
>what is. Suffice it to say my biggest grumble is the garish colour
>scheme and no means of choosing a quieter one!!

I wish I could sample this software - which someone recommended to me
some time ago.

I downloaded the sample version but my computer asked me which programme
I should use to open it. An email to the proprietor has elicited no
response. It is frustrating to hear how good it is but not be able to
sample it without buying the lot. Any ideas on the programme used to
open it?
--
David Birtwisle

Guy Morgan

Feb 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/24/00
In article <muZXyCAR...@caldor.demon.co.uk>, David Birtwisle
<da...@caldor.demon.co.uk> writes

>I wish I could sample this software - which someone recommended to me
>some time ago.
>
>I downloaded the sample version but my computer asked me which programme
>I should use to open it. An email to the proprietor has elicited no
>response. It is frustrating to hear how good it is but not be able to
>sample it without buying the lot. Any ideas on the programme used to
>open it?
'fraid not. I've not tried to download it from Syd's site. Is it a
.zip file that needs unzipping is my only suggestion.

I'm surprised if Syd hasn't responded to e-mail. I think he keeps an
eye on urw so he may react here. Did you use the right e-mail address?
He has changed a couple of times I think. Latest I know (from ad in
WW) is sark...@iname.co.uk

Mrs V.J. Robbins

Feb 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/24/00
Terry Ransom (Terry.Ransom@"NOSPAM"tesco.net) wrote:
: In march it looks like I will be picking up Otter from Acton Bridge near
: Preston Brook and at the end of the week leave it for the other owners ( for
: the season ) at Wrenbury. I would like to take the opportunity to visit

: Chester. Is this " a lock too far " ? I would be happy to wind before
: Chester and visit by Public Transport a sort of " Park and Ride ". However
: If it is going to be a Marathon effort I would leave Chester till the summer
: fortnight and visit more Pubs!
: What does the team think ?
: Regards

: Terry Ransom ( 1/12 NB Otter )

Terry - perhaps we are wimps but I think David Long may be just a little
optimistic. I think his reply seemed to indicate that you can do
Middlewich to Chester in one day? I don't think you can. We moor Thumper
at Chas Hardern's boatyard, at Tiverton. Chester is a six hour trip.
However, there are only two of us and once we hit the locks at
Christleton, I walk the rest. Going the other way, we regard Middlewich
as a full day's cruise. Remember, things like the triple staircase at
Bunbury can take a bit of time.
Anyway, if you do decide to go to Chester, stopping at Christleton and
getting the bus in is a good way to do it, if you don't have time to
or don't fancy, the locks. If you enjoy the walking, just walk in on
the towpath. What I wouldn't recommend, is mooring above the staircase
locks at Chester. Although we have done it in the past, last time we
did, we were set adrift in the night, which wasn't much fun. If you go
through, into the basin, get as far away as you can from the pub -
Telfords Warehouse - to avoid any hassle. Chester is a favourite
weekend trip for us - it's lovely to boat through under the walls
and avoid all the horrendous traffic that Chester has.
Enjoy.
Val Robbins
nb Thumper, at Beeston, on the Shroppie

Jezza

Feb 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/25/00
On Thu, 24 Feb 2000 14:07:27 +0000, Guy Morgan
<g...@onelight.demon.co.uk> posted this:

>:In article <muZXyCAR...@caldor.demon.co.uk>, David Birtwisle

>:<da...@caldor.demon.co.uk> writes
>:>I wish I could sample this software - which someone recommended to me
>:>some time ago.
>:>
>:>I downloaded the sample version but my computer asked me which programme
>:>I should use to open it. An email to the proprietor has elicited no
>:>response. It is frustrating to hear how good it is but not be able to
>:>sample it without buying the lot. Any ideas on the programme used to
>:>open it?
>:'fraid not. I've not tried to download it from Syd's site. Is it a

>:.zip file that needs unzipping is my only suggestion.
>:
>:I'm surprised if Syd hasn't responded to e-mail. I think he keeps an

>:eye on urw so he may react here. Did you use the right e-mail address?
>:He has changed a couple of times I think. Latest I know (from ad in
>:WW) is sark...@iname.co.uk

How about posting an url for this amazing software guys?

--
Jezza, part time narrowboat driver
<http://www.hotwells.freeserve.co.uk/redshank.html>

John Bennett

Feb 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/25/00
On Fri, 25 Feb 2000 Jezza <je...@hotwells.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>On Thu, 24 Feb 2000 14:07:27 +0000, Guy Morgan
><g...@onelight.demon.co.uk> posted this:
>
>>:In article <muZXyCAR...@caldor.demon.co.uk>, David Birtwisle
>>:<da...@caldor.demon.co.uk> writes
>>:>I wish I could sample this software - which someone recommended to me
>>:>some time ago.
>>:>
>>:>I downloaded the sample version but my computer asked me which programme
>>:>I should use to open it. An email to the proprietor has elicited no
>>:>response. It is frustrating to hear how good it is but not be able to
>>:>sample it without buying the lot. Any ideas on the programme used to
>>:>open it?
>>:'fraid not. I've not tried to download it from Syd's site. Is it a
>>:.zip file that needs unzipping is my only suggestion.

Unless it's a self extracting file you probably just need "Winzip" or a
similar program to "unzip" it. "Winzip" can usually be found on most PC
magazine cover CDs.

sark...@infoclub.freeserve.co.uk should definitely reach him.

>How about posting an url for this amazing software guys?

http://www.infoclub.co.uk

Cheers John
--
John Bennett nb "Jake B"
Cheddar Bradford-on Avon

Terry Ransom

Feb 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/25/00
Ok You Canal Planner Anoraks ( :>)- ), I will try to get Canal Planner for
scientific testing, but I dont know where to get it from, I will try a net
search on Canal Planner and probablly get plans to dig the Panama! If anyone
can provide info, Ta in advance, cos he's not in the latest WW
Regards
Terry Ransom ( 1/12 Otter )

>>>:In article <muZXyCAR...@caldor.demon.co.uk>, David Birtwisle
>>>:<da...@caldor.demon.co.uk> writes
>>>:>I wish I could sample this software - which someone recommended to me
>>>:>some time ago.
>>>:>
>>>:>I downloaded the sample version but my computer asked me which
programme
>>>:>I should use to open it. An email to the proprietor has elicited no
>>>:>response. It is frustrating to hear how good it is but not be able to
>>>:>sample it without buying the lot. Any ideas on the programme used to
>>>:>open it?
>>>:'fraid not. I've not tried to download it from Syd's site. /Snip

Terry Ransom

Feb 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/25/00
High Val
Out of interest when we thought we would be starting at Wrenbury my
Canalplanner...Nicholson's No 4/walking fingers(one hand)/ counting
locks(second hand)/cup of coffee(straw)! gave a plan as follows:-
Day One Wrenbury - Hurleston 4/6 hours
Day Two Hurleston - Beeston 3/4 hours
Day Three Beeston to Chester 4/5 hours

Using this as a "seed" for my Canalplanner Express.... Nicholsons GB/one
hand only.
Day One Acton Bridge - Anderton Lift
Day Two Anderton lift - Middlewhich(ish)
Day Three Middlewhich(ish) - Beeston
....err Only Got Seven Days... Maybe Chester IS a " Lock too far "
Optomistic Mode on/
Day One AB - MW
Day Two MW - Beeston
Optomistic Mode off/
Mind you I dont trust my Canalplanner Express as it suggested
AB-Runcorn-Ellesmere Port! This was then overruled after I bought Nicholsons
No 5 :>)

I deffinitely want to stop at Beeston if we can, to see the castle. We will
probably do a Hard Day One, to see where we arrive and then calculate our
options.

Regards
Terry Ransom ( 1/12 Otter )

Mrs V.J. Robbins wrote in message <892rng$gu6$1...@news.liv.ac.uk>...

>Terry - perhaps we are wimps but I think David Long may be just a little
>optimistic. I think his reply seemed to indicate that you can do
>Middlewich to Chester in one day? I don't think you can. We moor Thumper
>at Chas Hardern's boatyard, at Tiverton. Chester is a six hour trip.
>However, there are only two of us and once we hit the locks at
>Christleton, I walk the rest.

Snip

David Long

Feb 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/25/00
In article <892rng$gu6$1...@news.liv.ac.uk>, Mrs V.J. Robbins
<robb...@liverpool.ac.uk> writes

>Terry Ransom (Terry.Ransom@"NOSPAM"tesco.net) wrote:
>: In march it looks like I will be picking up Otter from Acton Bridge near
>: Preston Brook and at the end of the week leave it for the other owners ( for
>: the season ) at Wrenbury. I would like to take the opportunity to visit
>: Chester. Is this " a lock too far " ? I would be happy to wind before
>: Chester and visit by Public Transport a sort of " Park and Ride ". However
>: If it is going to be a Marathon effort I would leave Chester till the summer
>: fortnight and visit more Pubs!
>: What does the team think ?
>: Regards
>: Terry Ransom ( 1/12 NB Otter )

>Terry - perhaps we are wimps but I think David Long may be just a little
>optimistic. I think his reply seemed to indicate that you can do
>Middlewich to Chester in one day?

Nope - Barbridge to Chester was my day's journey. Acton to Barbridge was
the other day (but given the time of the year, as the Middlewich Branch
can get very congested in the season).

>I don't think you can. We moor Thumper
>at Chas Hardern's boatyard, at Tiverton. Chester is a six hour trip.
>However, there are only two of us and once we hit the locks at

>Christleton, I walk the rest. Going the other way, we regard Middlewich
>as a full day's cruise. Remember, things like the triple staircase at
>Bunbury can take a bit of time.

Again, I was assuming low traffic in March - and all the hire boats tied
up at Bunbury! Even adding three hours to your time, it's not too long a
day.

>Anyway, if you do decide to go to Chester, stopping at Christleton and
>getting the bus in is a good way to do it, if you don't have time to
>or don't fancy, the locks.

With a week to get to Wrenbury via Chester, I think it's easily possible
to enjoy everything Chester has to offer (including a superb lunch at
the Fat Cat in Watergate Street, where Jacquie and I went for her
birthday today), staircase and all.

>If you enjoy the walking, just walk in on
>the towpath. What I wouldn't recommend, is mooring above the staircase
>locks at Chester. Although we have done it in the past, last time we
>did, we were set adrift in the night, which wasn't much fun. If you go
>through, into the basin, get as far away as you can from the pub -
>Telfords Warehouse - to avoid any hassle. Chester is a favourite
>weekend trip for us - it's lovely to boat through under the walls
>and avoid all the horrendous traffic that Chester has.

So stop putting folks off!
Break everything but the speed limits, but get a day in Chester if you
can. It's a lovely city, and the walk around the walls is magical.

David Long

Feb 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/25/00
In article <896nr2$s8a$1...@epos.tesco.net>, Terry Ransom
<Terry.Ransom@?.net> writes

>High Val
>Out of interest when we thought we would be starting at Wrenbury my
>Canalplanner...Nicholson's No 4/walking fingers(one hand)/ counting
>locks(second hand)/cup of coffee(straw)! gave a plan as follows:-
>Day One Wrenbury - Hurleston 4/6 hours
>Day Two Hurleston - Beeston 3/4 hours
>Day Three Beeston to Chester 4/5 hours

I'd go for 1: 4 hrs; 2: 4 hrs; 3: 6hrs = 2 days.

>Using this as a "seed" for my Canalplanner Express.... Nicholsons GB/one
>hand only.
>Day One Acton Bridge - Anderton Lift

But it's only just round the corner. Even if you get stymied at each
tunnel you'd do it before lunch.

>Day Two Anderton lift - Middlewhich(ish)

And get to the Middlewich branch before tea.

>Day Three Middlewhich(ish) - Beeston

You'd arrive in the dark, perhaps... but still on the same day.

>....err Only Got Seven Days... Maybe Chester IS a " Lock too far "

Nah.

> Optomistic Mode on/

That's better!

>Day One AB - MW
>Day Two MW - Beeston
> Optomistic Mode off/

Keep it on - that should be easily achievable - and the pace I'd
recommend at the time you're doing the trip - though I've got beyond
Beeston (to the Shady Oak, if you must know) in a day from M'wich in
high season.

>I deffinitely want to stop at Beeston if we can, to see the castle.

It's a tidier step away from the canal than it looks on the map.

Robin Nicholson

Feb 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/25/00

>Terry - perhaps we are wimps but I think David Long may be just a little
>optimistic. I think his reply seemed to indicate that you can do

>Middlewich to Chester in one day? I don't think you can.

Middlewich to Barbridge-very close to 5 hrs
---
Robin Nicholson
Will swop Italian for French

David Long

Feb 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/25/00
In article <38b6f326....@news.freeserve.net>, Robin Nicholson
<tro...@pickles24.freeserve.co.uk> writes

>>Terry - perhaps we are wimps but I think David Long may be just a little
>>optimistic. I think his reply seemed to indicate that you can do
>>Middlewich to Chester in one day? I don't think you can.
>
>Middlewich to Barbridge-very close to 5 hrs

Sometimes - but not in March, when the "norm" of 4 hours is easily
achievable. It's 10 miles, there are four locks.

Martin E Phillips

Feb 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/25/00
In article <896nr3$s8a$2...@epos.tesco.net>, Terry Ransom
<Terry.Ransom@?.net> writes

> If anyone
>can provide info, Ta in advance, cos he's not in the latest WW

Oh yes he is.

Page 6.

Mmtherrr :-)

Wassail!
--
Martin E Phillips nb Boden, Splatt Bridge
http://www.g4cio.demon.co.uk

Malcolm Nixon

Feb 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/25/00
On Fri, 25 Feb 2000 08:10:44 -0000, "Terry Ransom"
<Terry.Ransom@"NOSPAM"tesco.net> wrote:

> Ok You Canal Planner Anoraks ( :>)- ), I will try to get Canal Planner for
> scientific testing, but I dont know where to get it from, I will try a net

> search on Canal Planner and probablly get plans to dig the Panama! If anyone

> can provide info, Ta in advance, cos he's not in the latest WW

Here you go:

http://www.infoclub.freeserve.co.uk/infoclub/

Malcolm,
-

http://www.users.surfaid.org/~nixonm/president/p_home.html

Brian Holt

Feb 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/26/00

David Long wrote in message ...

>In article <892rng$gu6$1...@news.liv.ac.uk>, Mrs V.J. Robbins
><robb...@liverpool.ac.uk> writes
>>Terry Ransom (Terry.Ransom@"NOSPAM"tesco.net) wrote:
>>: In march it looks like I will be picking up Otter from Acton Bridge near
>>: Preston Brook and at the end of the week leave it for the other owners

for
>>: the season ) at Wrenbury. I would like to take the opportunity to visit
>>: Chester. Is this " a lock too far " ? I would be happy to wind before
>>: Chester and visit by Public Transport a sort of " Park and Ride ".
However
>>: If it is going to be a Marathon effort I would leave Chester till the
summer
>>: fortnight and visit more Pubs!
>>: What does the team think ?
>>: Regards

Snippy

>So stop putting folks off!
>Break everything but the speed limits, but get a day in Chester if you
>can. It's a lovely city, and the walk around the walls is magical.

I hate walking as my wife will tell you, but a walk around the walls is well
worth the effort, you must do it if you go there.

Brian from sunny Suffolk by the river Hundred who also posts to the Mailing

list at www.ukwaterways.net. and UKCa...@onelist.com>--

Michael Amphlett

Mar 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/1/00

> In article <892rng$gu6$1...@news.liv.ac.uk>, Mrs V.J. Robbins
> <robb...@liverpool.ac.uk> writes
> >Terry Ransom (Terry.Ransom@"NOSPAM"tesco.net) wrote:
> >: In march it looks like I will be picking up Otter from Acton Bridge
near
> >: Preston Brook and at the end of the week leave it for the other owners
( for

> >: the season ) at Wrenbury. I would like to take the opportunity to visit
> >: Chester. Is this " a lock too far " ? I would be happy to wind before
> >: Chester and visit by Public Transport a sort of " Park and Ride ".
However
> >: If it is going to be a Marathon effort I would leave Chester till the
summer
> >: fortnight and visit more Pubs!
> >: What does the team think ?
> >: Regards
> >: Terry Ransom ( 1/12 NB Otter )
> >
> >Terry - perhaps we are wimps but I think David Long may be just a little
> >optimistic. I think his reply seemed to indicate that you can do
> >Middlewich to Chester in one day?
> snip>>

> So stop putting folks off!
> Break everything but the speed limits, but get a day in Chester if you
> can. It's a lovely city, and the walk around the walls is magical.
> --
> David Long

Yes indeed - go for it. The wife and I have just returned from a six day
trip from Acton Bridge to Chester and back which included a diversion down
to Nantwich to pick up our youngest son. We did the same trip last year.
Chester is wonderful. Beeston is worth a visit but is quite a hike up from
the canal - will take up half a day to make it worthwhile. David's timings
certainly agree with what we logged.

Mike Amphlett