Weird Windows One

Tone

Jun 8, 2019, 6:19:19 PM6/8/19
Yes, that was weird. Suddenly got a loud bleep and a window, purporting
to come from Windows, telling me that as I haven't updated my system I
am about to lose all my files in 120 secs, with a count-down clock
counting down.

I attempted a shut-down and got another window repeating the threat.

I crashed it and rebooted.

So far all normal, all files intact.

Any ideas?

Tone

hub...@ccanoemail.ca

Jun 8, 2019, 7:19:06 PM6/8/19
I have been using Super-Anti-Spyware free version
for several years. I ignore the regular upgrade prompts -
but I do try to upgrade it about once per year.
Lots of good advice will be forthcoming here methinks.
Good luck.
John T.

Brian Gaff

Jun 9, 2019, 3:12:58 AM6/9/19
No but is there anything in the message centre? Or whatever your version of
windows calls it.

I do know that if one allows the windows 10 installer to run that something
similar comes up if you do not select upgrade my windows instead of new
installation.

Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"Tone" <To...@gnospam.com> wrote in message

Tease'n'Seize

Jun 9, 2019, 3:43:33 AM6/9/19
Tone wrote:

> Any ideas?

Sounds like a fake warning that crept in via a web page, a good reason
to use an ad-blocker ...

Peter

Jun 9, 2019, 5:58:01 AM6/9/19
Tease'n'Seize <tease-and-seize@invalid> wrote in
Yes. The threat of loosing all your files in 120 seconds is a bit of a
giveaway. Crashing it off was a sensible response, now worth downloading
and running the free anti-malware proggies that othersheddied have
suggested, just in case, and then installing an ad-blocker.

--
-----
Peter

-----

Tone

Jun 9, 2019, 8:20:27 AM6/9/19
Thanks all for your comments. Have now installed Superantispyware free
version, carried out a full scan, malware detected and removed, plus a
load of cookies, lappy now faster than a fast thing in Veryquickland.

cheers

Tone (chuffed)

Tease'n'Seize

Jun 9, 2019, 8:27:13 AM6/9/19
Tone wrote:

> Have now installed Superantispyware free version, carried out a full
> scan, malware detected and removed

Whenever you run an anti-malware program on virtually any machine it
will claim to have detected malware ... see it floats, must be a witch!

Peter Percival

Jun 9, 2019, 11:02:33 AM6/9/19
Huge wrote:
> Could I commend a Pi-Hole to the house (assuming you have the technical
> skills to install it; it requires changing your router configuration)?
>
> https://pi-hole.net/

For Linux, is it?

--
"He who will not reason is a bigot;
he who cannot is a fool;

Martyn Barclay

Jun 9, 2019, 6:28:11 PM6/9/19
On Sun, 09 Jun 2019 15:44:00 +0000, Huge wrote:

> On 2019-06-09, Peter Percival <peterxp...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Huge wrote:

>>> Could I commend a Pi-Hole to the house (assuming you have the technical
>>> skills to install it; it requires changing your router configuration)?
>>>
>>> https://pi-hole.net/
>>
>> For Linux, is it?
>
> Since this is Ye Shedde, I shall restrain myself, so the answer is; No.
>
> Long answer; it filters DNS requests from any device on your home network
> in order to prevent access to advertising, tracking and malware sites.
> Reading the documentation would have answered your question;
>
> https://docs.pi-hole.net/

"Network-wide ad blocking via your own Linux hardware"

He would need to make a Virtual Machine on his Windows machine. Load
the Hyper-V role or install Virtual Box, etc...Setup new Linux VM. Log in
as root. Run install command: curl -sSL https://install.pi-hole.net | bash

hub...@ccanoemail.ca

Jun 9, 2019, 6:46:09 PM6/9/19
On Sun, 09 Jun 2019 23:28:09 +0100, Martyn Barclay <m...@dev.null>
wrote:
... see Tony -
I said that you'd get lots of expert help here
with this topic ... :-)
... say when ..
John T.

Colonel Edmund J. Burke

Jun 9, 2019, 7:33:11 PM6/9/19
On 6/8/2019 3:19 PM, Tone wrote:
> Yes, that was weird. Suddenly got a loud bleep and a window, purporting to come from Windows, telling me that as I haven't updated my system I am about to lose all my files in 120 secs, with a count-down clock counting down.
>
> I attempted a shut-down and got another window repeating the threat.
>
> I crashed it and rebooted.

You crashed it?
LOL
Idiot!

Brian Gaff

Jun 10, 2019, 2:38:52 AM6/10/19
The thing is that add blockers do not stop the things arriving if indeed it
was that, they just try to stop them running or displaying.
I've never seen anything like described but I have seen the warning if, for
example you are using windows 7 and you somehow get it to download the
windows 10 installer.
Obviously though you have to have chosen install at some point at which
time it asks the pertinent question about fresh or an attempt to update.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Peter" <pe...@nospam.co.uk> wrote in message

Thomas Prufer

Jun 10, 2019, 4:09:42 AM6/10/19
On Sun, 09 Jun 2019 23:28:09 +0100, Martyn Barclay <m...@dev.null> wrote:

>"Network-wide ad blocking via your own Linux hardware"
>
>He would need to make a Virtual Machine on his Windows machine. Load
>the Hyper-V role or install Virtual Box, etc...Setup new Linux VM. Log in
>as root. Run install command: curl -sSL https://install.pi-hole.net | bash

Why the VM? Wouldn't that mean that all networking is borked when the VM is off?

Isn't the point of running it on Linux that one sticks it all in a Raspi (or
some other small Linux thing with no screen or keyboard) wot sit quietly in a
corner and does the filtering 24/7, while drawing only small Watts? And
including all traffic through the router? (I guess one points the router to the
pi-hole DNS?)

Thomas Prufer

Tone

Jun 10, 2019, 4:33:34 AM6/10/19
On 10/06/2019 07:38, Brian Gaff wrote:
> The thing is that add blockers do not stop the things arriving if indeed it
> was that, they just try to stop them running or displaying.
> I've never seen anything like described but I have seen the warning if, for
> example you are using windows 7 and you somehow get it to download the
> windows 10 installer.
> Obviously though you have to have chosen install at some point at which
> time it asks the pertinent question about fresh or an attempt to update.
> Brian

That does sound like what I saw, Brian, but I certainly hadn't selected
to install 10.

But, I'm now wondering.

Although I can't recall all that was written on that window, I do
unforget a bit about 'As you haven't updated Windows 7 (which I haven't
for yonks) it has now expired and will be updated in 12 secs. All your
files will be deleted unless saved, To do so press 'select' or summat
similar.

That was the point where I attempted to switch off the computer, and
when that didn't work, crashed it.

Haven't sen anything since rebooting and downloading "C:\Program
Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SUPERAntiSpyware.exe" as advised.

Could it have been a Microsoft auto-update to 10, based on a time limit
on 7?

Dunno.

Tone

Kerr-Mudd,John

Jun 10, 2019, 6:07:45 AM6/10/19
On Mon, 10 Jun 2019 08:59:05 GMT, Huge <Hu...@nowhere.much.invalid>
wrote:
> Wrong. Why do you think it's called "Pi"-hole? Just buy a fucking
> Raspberry Pi and run it on that. That's what it's designed for.

Why spend money when you can think of a more complicated way of doing it?
"I didn't get where I am today.." etc.

--
Bah, and indeed, Humbug.

Tease'n'Seize

Jun 10, 2019, 6:44:19 AM6/10/19
Tone wrote:

> Could it have been a Microsoft auto-update to 10, based on a time limit
> on 7?

No, it has all the classic signs of a scam attempt ...

Martyn Barclay

Jun 10, 2019, 6:59:54 AM6/10/19
On Mon, 10 Jun 2019 08:59:05 +0000, Huge wrote:
> Wrong. Why do you think it's called "Pi"-hole? Just buy a fucking
> Raspberry Pi and run it on that. That's what it's designed for.

Oh, that's why it can run on Debian, Fedora, CentOS & Ubuntu
I guess.

Supported Operating Systems
The following operating systems are officially supported:

Distribution Release Architecture
Raspbian Jessie / Stretch ARM
Ubuntu 16.x / 18.x ARM / x86_64
Debian 8 / 9 ARM / x86_64 / i386
Fedora 28 / 29 ARM / x86_64
CentOS 7 x86_64

Also "Use Pi-Hole with Windows":
https://geekswipe.net/curiosity/topic/pi-hole-for-windows/

https://www.reddit.com/r/pihole/comments/6yh1zh/can_i_run_pi_hole_on_my_windows_laptop_or_do_i/

https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1379399

etc, etc.

Tone

Jun 10, 2019, 10:28:28 AM6/10/19
On 10/06/2019 13:42, Huge wrote:
> On 2019-06-10, Martyn Barclay <m...@dev.null> wrote:
>
> Sigh. Given that this is Ye Shedde, why are there so many pedantic,
> argumentative cunts here?
>
> *plonk*

Pick up his dolly and put it back in his pram someone?

Tone

Martyn Barclay

Jun 10, 2019, 10:47:26 AM6/10/19
On Mon, 10 Jun 2019 15:28:26 +0100, Tone wrote:

> On 10/06/2019 13:42, Huge wrote:
>> On 2019-06-10, Martyn Barclay <m...@dev.null> wrote:
>>
>> Sigh. Given that this is Ye Shedde, why are there so many pedantic,
>> argumentative cunts here?

Oh, the irony! LOL

>> *plonk*
>>
> Pick up his dolly and put it back in his pram someone?
>
> Tone

"Huge - my way, or no way" doesn't like being shown he's wrong, does he.
Never mind, I plonked him after I replied.
Onwards & upwards!

Peter

Jun 10, 2019, 10:51:34 AM6/10/19
Huge <Hu...@nowhere.much.invalid> wrote in news:gm71i5FqktvU1
@mid.individual.net:

> On 2019-06-10, Martyn Barclay <m...@dev.null> wrote:
>
> Sigh. Given that this is Ye Shedde, why are there so many pedantic,
> argumentative cunts here?
>
> *plonk*

Bit harsh, I would've thought, Huge me old mate. Bad day?

--
-----
Peter

-----

Tone

Jun 10, 2019, 12:08:48 PM6/10/19
On 10/06/2019 15:50, Huge wrote:
> I have no problem with pedantic argumentative cunts, providing
> they're right. Perhaps he, like you, should read the documentation
> before picking a fight? Or, not having read the documentation,
> just keep quiet?

I thought you had gorn 'plonk'.

Personally I hoped ye shedd would be a much more pleasant bolt-hole
without the bad language.

But perhaps I'm just an old fashioned c***t.

Tell you what. Try some relaxation technique.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e59guruVL4o

xx

Tone

Kerr-Mudd,John

Jun 10, 2019, 12:51:30 PM6/10/19
OFFS (irony) carrrm darn the lot of you.

Kerr-Mudd,John

Jun 10, 2019, 12:52:26 PM6/10/19
Somedays every day's a bad day </half empty>

Peter

Jun 10, 2019, 1:47:41 PM6/10/19
"Kerr-Mudd,John" <nots...@invalid.org> wrote in
Have we had this one before?
optimist: it's half full
pessimist: it's half empty
engineer: it's twice as big as it needs to be

--
-----
Peter

-----

Richard Robinson

Jun 10, 2019, 2:04:01 PM6/10/19
Peter said:

> Have we had this one before?
> optimist: it's half full
> pessimist: it's half empty
> engineer: it's twice as big as it needs to be

hopeful: it's got room for a top-up

--
Richard Robinson

My email address is at http://qualmograph.org.uk/contact.html

TMack

Jun 10, 2019, 2:36:48 PM6/10/19
It's a scam, it's always a scam. The warning is fake and if you had
"updated your system" via that route it would just have installed very
malicious malware. The 120 seconds bit is just additional "window
dressing" designed to panic the unwary into installing the malware without
checking. The fake warning scam will have been run from script embedded in
some web page that you visited, possibly without the web page owner's
knowledge. My wife had this "warning" a few days ago. I managed to close
the web browser and guess what? All her files are miraculously still
intact and available.

https://techtalk.pcpitstop.com/2018/11/15/winerx03-scam-creates-panic/

--
Tony
FJR1300, Aprilia Pegaso 650 ie, BSA Bantams x2, 1936 BSA B3

hub...@ccanoemail.ca

Jun 10, 2019, 3:55:49 PM6/10/19
I just did a full scan on my laptop with SuperAntiSpyware free.
First time in 4 months; after clearing the browser cache;
1 hour 12 minutes
It found only the four "problem" files
which I know are my KMS hack.
John T.

Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Jun 10, 2019, 4:00:02 PM6/10/19
Good engineer: It has adequate spare capacity.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith | Directable Mirror Arrays
C:\>WIN | A better way to focus the sun

Peter Percival

Jun 10, 2019, 4:18:03 PM6/10/19
Huge wrote:
> On 2019-06-09, Peter Percival <peterxp...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Huge wrote:

>>> Could I commend a Pi-Hole to the house (assuming you have the technical
>>> skills to install it; it requires changing your router configuration)?
>>>
>>> https://pi-hole.net/
>>
>> For Linux, is it?
>
> Since this is Ye Shedde, I shall restrain myself, so the answer is; No.
>
> Long answer; it filters DNS requests from any device on your home network
> in order to prevent access to advertising, tracking and malware sites.
> Reading the documentation would have answered your question;
>
> https://docs.pi-hole.net/

Here https://docs.pi-hole.net/main/prerequesites/ I read that the
supported OSs are Raspbian, Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora and CentOS. Which
suggests to me that the answer to my question is yes. Curious.

Tone

Jun 10, 2019, 5:14:44 PM6/10/19
Aah. Ta for that Tone.

Presumabubbly then, had I 'updated' via that button, the same scam would
have emitted from my lappy to all my online mateys?

Tone 2

Sn!pe

Jun 10, 2019, 6:56:38 PM6/10/19
Huge <Hu...@nowhere.much.invalid> wrote:
> Bingo! Someone with a brain.

Is this something that could comfortably reside on my router besides its
usual system? <https://www.synology.com/en-uk/products/RT2600ac>

Apart from it covering the whole LAN, would it be substantially better
than using the MVPS HOSTS file? <https://mvpshostsnews.blogspot.com>

Is it likely to get in the way of SWMBO's browsing?

--
^Ï^ My pet rock Gordon just is.

Sn!pe

Jun 10, 2019, 7:03:01 PM6/10/19
Kerr-Mudd,John <nots...@invalid.org> wrote:

> OFFS (irony) carrrm darn the lot of you.

Once upon a time, much like politricks [spit],
explicit plonketry was unheard of in our beloved
temporary erection at the bottom of the garden.

That was a large part of the charm of Ye Shedde
and set us apart from the hurly burly of the
wilderness beyond the Shed door.

--
^Ï^ My pet rock Gordon just sighed.

Tone

Jun 10, 2019, 7:53:18 PM6/10/19
please Sir, as one who thought a Pi

Tone

Jun 10, 2019, 7:54:27 PM6/10/19
....hole was a yellow dent in the snow, what the hell are we taking about??

Tone

Sn!pe

Jun 10, 2019, 8:17:56 PM6/10/19
Tone <To...@gnospam.com> wrote:

> On 11/06/2019 00:53, Tone wrote:
[...]
> > please Sir, as one who thought a Pi
>
> ....hole was a yellow dent in the snow,
> what the hell are we taking about??

Do not eat the yellow snow
'coz that is where the huskies go.
~~ F Zappa

--
^Ď^ My pet rock Gordon just is.

Tone

Jun 10, 2019, 8:41:59 PM6/10/19
On 11/06/2019 01:17, Sn!pe wrote:
> Tone <To...@gnospam.com> wrote:
>
>> On 11/06/2019 00:53, Tone wrote:
> [...]
>>> please Sir, as one who thought a Pi
>>
>> ....hole was a yellow dent in the snow,
>> what the hell are we taking about??
>
> Do not eat the yellow snow
> 'coz that is where the huskies go.
> ~~ F Zappa

"He had eyes like piss-holes in the snow" I stand under. Been There.

Tone

Ivan D. Reid

Jun 11, 2019, 12:09:26 AM6/11/19
On Tue, 11 Jun 2019 01:17:55 +0100, Sn!pe <snip...@gmail.com>
wrote in <1o8zfj1.1mvdtee1tuq9o1N%snip...@gmail.com>:
> Tone <To...@gnospam.com> wrote:

>> On 11/06/2019 00:53, Tone wrote:
> [...]
>> > please Sir, as one who thought a Pi

>> ....hole was a yellow dent in the snow,
>> what the hell are we taking about??

> Do not eat the yellow snow
> 'coz that is where the huskies go.
> ~~ F Zappa

...and do not lick the yelllow ice
'coz that little mountain is the outfall of the heated pipe leading
from the urinal in the mess hall...

--
Ivan Reid (ivan.reid@[brunel.ac.uk|cern.ch])
Engineering, Design & Physical Sciences CMS Collaboration,

Thomas Prufer

Jun 11, 2019, 2:33:45 AM6/11/19
On Mon, 10 Jun 2019 10:07:44 -0000 (UTC), "Kerr-Mudd,John"
<nots...@invalid.org> wrote:

>On Mon, 10 Jun 2019 08:59:05 GMT, Huge <Hu...@nowhere.much.invalid>
>wrote:
>> Wrong. Why do you think it's called "Pi"-hole? Just buy a fucking
>> Raspberry Pi and run it on that. That's what it's designed for.

Comes as a "pre-configured pi-hole kit", too. Cased Raspberry with a wallwart,
and a SD card with Stuff(tm) onnit, at a guess. No idea if the price is
reasonable, didn't look.

>Why spend money when you can think of a more complicated way of doing it?
>"I didn't get where I am today.." etc.

Oi, I'm the last to nix the idea of compiling the pi-hole software for the old
PDP11 you have sitting there. Or a re-flashed router, or ...

But only if it is fun, and one wants to.

Tone needs an (ideally) off-the-shelf solution that prevents this "self-destruct
in 120 seconds" from happening again.

Then he can safely surf the net, buy a used PDP-11, etc. etc.

Wots the FOAK say to, for instance, Spybot Search and Destroy, which sets a
bunch of dodgy sites to "localhost" in the hosts files? Free, GUI, few clicks...

Thomas Prufer

Thomas Prufer

Jun 11, 2019, 2:42:09 AM6/11/19
On Tue, 11 Jun 2019 00:54:25 +0100, Tone <To...@gnospam.com> wrote:

>....hole was a yellow dent in the snow, what the hell are we taking about??

S'a box you attach to the router and mains.

A few incantantations later, any and all requests to known dodgy sites are
nixed. This apllies to *all* network traffic through the router: laptop, guests
phones on the guest WiFi, the thermostat, wotever.

Thomas Prufer

Peter Percival

Jun 11, 2019, 10:24:38 AM6/11/19
Huge wrote:
> On 2019-06-09, Martyn Barclay <m...@dev.null> wrote:

>>> Since this is Ye Shedde, I shall restrain myself, so the answer is; No.
>>>
>>> Long answer; it filters DNS requests from any device on your home network
>>> in order to prevent access to advertising, tracking and malware sites.
>>> Reading the documentation would have answered your question;
>>>
>>> https://docs.pi-hole.net/
>>
>> "Network-wide ad blocking via your own Linux hardware"
>>
>> He would need to make a Virtual Machine on his Windows machine.
>
> Wrong. Why do you think it's called "Pi"-hole? Just buy a fucking
> Raspberry Pi and run it on that. That's what it's designed for.

Again looking at the documentation as you suggested - "Despite the name,
you are not limited to running Pi-hole on a Raspberry Pi. Any hardware
that runs one of the supported operating systems will do". Curious.

Richard Robinson

Jun 11, 2019, 10:33:49 AM6/11/19
A while back, here in Ye Shed. there was a recommendation for an /etc/hosts
file that redefined a shitload of adverts farms & stuff to 0.0.0.0. I
haven't seen hardly any adverts since I installed it.

http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm

Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Jun 11, 2019, 12:30:02 PM6/11/19
snip...@gmail.com (Sn!pe) wrote:

> Tone <To...@gnospam.com> wrote:
>
> > On 11/06/2019 00:53, Tone wrote:
> [...]
> > > please Sir, as one who thought a Pi
> >
> > ....hole was a yellow dent in the snow,
> > what the hell are we taking about??
>
> Do not eat the yellow snow
> 'coz that is where the huskies go.
> ~~ F Zappa

Vigorous circular motion required when rubbing it into faces IIRC.

Sn!pe

Jun 11, 2019, 1:58:25 PM6/11/19
Richard Robinson <rich...@privacy.net> wrote:

[...]

> A while back, here in Ye Shed. there was a recommendation for an
> /etc/hosts file that redefined a shitload of adverts farms & stuff to
> 0.0.0.0. I haven't seen hardly any adverts since I installed it.
>
> http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm

Do keep up at the back...

--
^Ï^ My pet rock Gordon just is.

Kerr-Mudd,John

Jun 11, 2019, 2:41:44 PM6/11/19
On Tue, 11 Jun 2019 17:58:23 GMT, snip...@gmail.com (Sn!pe) wrote:

> Richard Robinson <rich...@privacy.net> wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> A while back, here in Ye Shed. there was a recommendation for an
>> /etc/hosts file that redefined a shitload of adverts farms & stuff to
>> 0.0.0.0. I haven't seen hardly any adverts since I installed it.

I have; so I added in the new boys.

--
Bah, and indeed, Humbug.

Richard Robinson

Jun 12, 2019, 8:50:49 AM6/12/19
Sn!pe said:
> Richard Robinson <rich...@privacy.net> wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> A while back, here in Ye Shed. there was a recommendation for an
>> /etc/hosts file that redefined a shitload of adverts farms & stuff to
>> 0.0.0.0. I haven't seen hardly any adverts since I installed it.
>>
>> http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm
>
> Do keep up at the back...

Pah ! I didn't get where I am today by keeping up.

Tone

Jun 12, 2019, 8:56:52 AM6/12/19
On 12/06/2019 13:50, Richard Robinson wrote:
> Sn!pe said:
>> Richard Robinson <rich...@privacy.net> wrote:
>>
>> [...]
>>
>>> A while back, here in Ye Shed. there was a recommendation for an
>>> /etc/hosts file that redefined a shitload of adverts farms & stuff to
>>> 0.0.0.0. I haven't seen hardly any adverts since I installed it.
>>>
>>> http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm
>>
>> Do keep up at the back...
>
> Pah ! I didn't get where I am today by keeping up.

In that case stop muttering at the back there!

Tone

Sn!pe

Jun 12, 2019, 11:22:17 AM6/12/19
Richard Robinson <rich...@privacy.net> wrote:

> > Do keep up at the back...
>
> Pah ! I didn't get where I am today by keeping up.

I need fair winds and following seas
to keep it up in these fine latter days.

Sn!pe

Jun 12, 2019, 11:23:19 AM6/12/19
Tone <To...@gnospam.com> wrote:

> >> Do keep up at the back...
> >
> > Pah ! I didn't get where I am today by keeping up.
>
> In that case stop muttering at the back there!

Can you tell talk from mutter?

Richard Robinson

Jun 12, 2019, 11:33:44 AM6/12/19
DO YOU WANT ME TO SPEAK LOUDER ?

Tone

Jun 12, 2019, 11:49:20 AM6/12/19
On 12/06/2019 16:33, Richard Robinson wrote:
> Tone said:

>>> Pah ! I didn't get where I am today by keeping up.
>>
>> In that case stop muttering at the back there!
>
> DO YOU WANT ME TO SPEAK LOUDER ?

No. Just put up your hand if you need want to say summat.

Tone

Kerr-Mudd,John

Jun 12, 2019, 12:23:01 PM6/12/19
"Can I have a P please, Bob?"

Kerr-Mudd,John

Jun 12, 2019, 12:23:58 PM6/12/19
On Wed, 12 Jun 2019 15:22:16 GMT, snip...@gmail.com (Sn!pe) wrote:

> Richard Robinson <rich...@privacy.net> wrote:
>
>> > Do keep up at the back...
>>
>> Pah ! I didn't get where I am today by keeping up.
>
> I need fair winds and following seas
> to keep it up in these fine latter days.

Ah, do you get the vind from the South Vest as vell?

Ivan D. Reid

Jun 12, 2019, 1:44:32 PM6/12/19
On Wed, 12 Jun 2019 16:23:17 +0100, Sn!pe <snip...@gmail.com>
wrote in <1o92g5h.1fypn3g4xxdroN%snip...@gmail.com>:

>> > Pah ! I didn't get where I am today by keeping up.

>> In that case stop muttering at the back there!

> Can you tell talk from mutter?

Ja, Mutter trägt Röcke!

Sn!pe

Jun 12, 2019, 2:12:31 PM6/12/19
Warm, humid zephyrs emanating from the South.
... Oops, pardon, i'll open a window.

Kerr-Mudd,John

Jun 12, 2019, 5:45:30 PM6/12/19
I ain't seen a zephyr for ages;
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Zephyr

Sn!pe

Jun 12, 2019, 5:58:47 PM6/12/19
Kerr-Mudd,John <nots...@invalid.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Jun 2019 18:12:30 GMT, snip...@gmail.com (Sn!pe) wrote:
>
> > Kerr-Mudd,John <nots...@invalid.org> wrote:

> >> Ah, do you get the vind from the South Vest as vell?
> >
> > Warm, humid zephyrs emanating from the South.
> > ... Oops, pardon, i'll open a window.
> >
> I ain't seen a zephyr for ages;
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Zephyr

[cue: Z-Cars theme]

"Fancy" Smith: "Z Victor One to BD, we're going off watch.

Tone

Jun 13, 2019, 12:48:18 AM6/13/19
Why do you want me to bob?

Tone

Kerr-Mudd,John

Jun 13, 2019, 4:52:52 AM6/13/19
You Holderness, I'll hold her <no carrier>

Nick Odell

Jun 13, 2019, 6:22:15 AM6/13/19
Very presidential.

Nick

Nicholas D. Richards

Jun 17, 2019, 7:02:00 AM6/17/19
In article <XnsAA6AC95C6...@144.76.35.198>, Peter
<pe...@nospam.co.uk> on Mon, 10 Jun 2019 at 17:47:40 awoke Nicholas
from his slumbers and wrote

>Have we had this one before?
>optimist: it's half full

one legged grasshopper ('bccrq 'r zvfg)

>pessimist: it's half empty

most small boys (cvff 'r zvfg)

>engineer: it's twice as big as it needs to be

--
0sterc@tcher -

"Oů sont les neiges d'antan?"

Mike Fleming

Jun 26, 2019, 6:25:57 PM6/26/19
In article <XnsAA6CE788DC...@144.76.35.198>,
I sold one a while ago: http://tauzero.co.uk/music/images/Zephyr.jpg

--
Mike Fleming

Nick Odell

Jun 27, 2019, 6:33:33 AM6/27/19
Very tasty. Have I already told ye shedde about the Peterson Bass? The
best bass in the world you've never heard of.

'Twas the nineties and I designed this bass for the people who made
Peterson bass and guitar amplification. We had a few prototypes made by
a guitar manufacturer in Czechoslovakia and exhibited at the Frankfurt
Musikmesse that year.

Not long after that, Czechoslovakia slipped gracefully into the Czech
Republic and Slovakia and when we went to order a production run of
these instruments we couldn't find find them. Next year at Frankfurt, a
previously unheard of Czech company were offering their own-branded best
bass you never heard of. Trying to sue someone in country nobody had
ever heard of the previous year for something that happened in a country
that now no longer exists seemed like too much hard work...

Footnote. We thought there were only two prototypes (I have one of them
here) until many years later a Czech bloke emailed asking if I were the
Nick Odell from Peterson and told me he had bass no.3 I imagine the
experience of finding that out is a bit like discovering you have a
child you hadn't know about before. A bit like that - but not a lot!

Nick

Peter

Jun 27, 2019, 11:53:37 AM6/27/19
Nick Odell <ni...@themusicworkshop.plus.com> wrote in news:qf261s$3jj$1
@dont-email.me:
Wow. Quite a story. Thanks.

When I were a teenager I made my own bass - modelled on pictures of the
Fender Precision (or was it the Jaguar). I knew nothing of the tension in
those strings and so of course over time it bent in the middle (like a
one-string fiddle, as the poem has it). But it worked OK for a while.

--
-----
Peter

-----

Chris Elvidge

Jun 27, 2019, 12:11:21 PM6/27/19
Did it tell you a tale or two?

--

Chris Elvidge, England

Peter

Jun 27, 2019, 1:26:16 PM6/27/19
Chris Elvidge <ch...@mshome.net> wrote in
Oh it had many a tale to tell.

--
-----
Peter

-----

Sn!pe

Jun 27, 2019, 1:43:28 PM6/27/19
Peter <pe...@nospam.co.uk> wrote:

> Chris Elvidge <ch...@mshome.net> wrote in
>
> > On 27/06/2019 16:53, Peter wrote:
[...]
> >> When I were a teenager I made my own bass - modelled on pictures of
> >> the Fender Precision (or was it the Jaguar). I knew nothing of the
> >> tension in those strings and so of course over time it bent in the
> >> middle (like a one-string fiddle, as the poem has it). But it worked
> >> OK for a while.
> >>

> > Did it tell you a tale or two?
> >

> Oh it had many a tale to tell.

Purely by chance, in my shed I have a copy of the ditty alluded to;
or rather it's John Snagge and Jack Hulbert discussing it.

<http://tinyurl.com/y6cqxw76>
<https://www.dropbox.com/s/58c2hgfvxu2z6sw/John%20Snagge%20%26%20Jack%20Hulbert%20-%20Eskimo%20Nell%28mono%29%20copy.mp3?dl=0>