Condensed Milk

Tone

Apr 20, 2017, 4:15:35 PM4/20/17
Just done something I haven't done since I was a young teenager: Punched
two holes in the top of a tin of full cream condensed milk, lay back and
sucked the lot.

Better than sex*.

And I survived to tel the tale.... well..... today any road up.

I reckon this kwally flies me for some sort of sheddi badge.

*depending on who with (with whom?), of course.

--
Tone (feeling a bit sick)

Brian Gaff

Apr 20, 2017, 4:28:31 PM4/20/17
Carnation yes good with xmas pud as well.

Silly really.
One other thing too. People say the long life milk is rubbish. Howerver its
all about associations in the memory. For me that taste was first had in a
nice exotic island in Los carnarias, and hence drinking it makes one think
of lazy warm balmy days on a breeakwater wathing the big sun set and a big
moon rise over the ocean.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"Tone" <To...@gnospam.com> wrote in message

Nick Odell

Apr 20, 2017, 7:24:53 PM4/20/17
If you have the patience, simmer the unopened tin for about 3hrs in a
saucepan of water, let it cool down[1] then open the tin and spoon out
the delicious caramel.

Nick
[1]I SAID LET IT COOL DOWN! Damn: now who's going to wipe all that
mess off the ceiling?

Tone

Apr 20, 2017, 9:35:28 PM4/20/17
Coo. Hadn't heard of that. Well worth a try.

What was that about letting it cool down? hang on. Must find a pen and a
bit of paper.

La de dah de dah....

<Scratches head>

<Yawn>

Time for bed said Dougal.

Tone

Dennis Davis

Apr 21, 2017, 4:13:54 AM4/21/17
In article <odb5le$cup$1...@news.albasani.net>,
Brian Gaff <bri...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>Carnation yes good with xmas pud as well.

And on jelly and blancmange etc. When I was a nipper, mum used to
make the jelly in a tin mould in the shape of a crouching rabbit.
Looked good when it came out of the fridge and emerged on a plate.

So eat your hearts out members of the Magic Circle. Pulling rabbits
out of a hat is really old hat. It's nothing to what my mum could
do...
--
Dennis Davis <denni...@fastmail.fm>

Tone

Apr 21, 2017, 5:15:46 AM4/21/17
On 21/04/2017 09:13, Dennis Davis wrote:
> In article <odb5le$cup$1...@news.albasani.net>,
> Brian Gaff <bri...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Carnation yes good with xmas pud as well.

> And on jelly and blancmange etc. When I was a nipper, mum used to
> make the jelly in a tin mould in the shape of a crouching rabbit.
> Looked good when it came out of the fridge and emerged on a plate.
>
> So eat your hearts out members of the Magic Circle. Pulling rabbits
> out of a hat is really old hat. It's nothing to what my mum could
> do...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-glass-jelly-mould-in-the-shape-of-a-rabbit-/142355905003

Tone

Ivan D. Reid

Apr 21, 2017, 2:35:52 PM4/21/17
On Fri, 21 Apr 2017 00:24:51 +0100, Nick Odell <ni...@themusicworkshop.plus.com>
wrote in <jcgifcha69p1gq76l...@4ax.com>:
> On Thu, 20 Apr 2017 21:15:39 +0100, Tone <To...@gnospam.com> wrote:

>>Just done something I haven't done since I was a young teenager: Punched
>>two holes in the top of a tin of full cream condensed milk, lay back and
>>sucked the lot.

> If you have the patience, simmer the unopened tin for about 3hrs in a
> saucepan of water, let it cool down[1] then open the tin and spoon out
> the delicious caramel.

> Nick
> [1]I SAID LET IT COOL DOWN! Damn: now who's going to wipe all that
> mess off the ceiling?

Also, whatever you do, *don't* let the saucepan boil dry.
Similar effect on the ceiling but possibly disastrous results for any
passing yuman (other animals are available).

--
Ivan Reid, School of Engineering & Design, _____________ CMS Collaboration,
Brunel University. Ivan.Reid@[brunel.ac.uk|cern.ch] Room 40-1-B12, CERN

Andrew Marshall

Apr 22, 2017, 5:18:14 PM4/22/17
In message <jcgifcha69p1gq76l...@4ax.com>, Nick Odell
<ni...@themusicworkshop.plus.com> writes
It can be ohled ready-molished (by aCnrtaoin) and is rather tasty. I
don't indulge that often, as it is too moreish to make a habit of it.
--
Regards,
Andrew Marshall, G8BUR, M0MAA.

Nick Odell

Apr 22, 2017, 7:38:05 PM4/22/17
Yeah, well aCnrtaoin is owned these days by a company that I make it
my business not to do any business with but there is an equivalent
condensed milk product available from iLld. It's cheaper there too.

Nick

Andrew Marshall

Apr 23, 2017, 3:55:45 AM4/23/17
In message <t3qnfcp16nqjqi5bp...@4ax.com>, Nick Odell
<ni...@themusicworkshop.plus.com> writes
<goes and looks at tin>

Ah; IC.

> but there is an equivalent
>condensed milk product available from iLld. It's cheaper there too.

Thanks for the tip; I'll have a look in the local iLld and see what they
stock.

Thomas Prufer

Apr 23, 2017, 12:15:39 PM4/23/17
wrote:

>If you have the patience, simmer the unopened tin for about 3hrs in a
>saucepan of water, let it cool down[1] then open the tin and spoon out
>the delicious caramel.

Best if sweetened condensed milk.

And say 20 say 40 minutes in a pressure cooker also works, depending on how
caramelly you like your caramel.

>[1]I SAID LET IT COOL DOWN! Damn: now who's going to wipe all that
>mess off the ceiling?

Doubly true in a pressure cooker.

Thomas Prufer

Nick Odell

Apr 23, 2017, 2:12:43 PM4/23/17
On Sun, 23 Apr 2017 18:15:39 +0200, Thomas Prufer
<prufer...@mnet-online.de.invalid> wrote:

>On Fri, 21 Apr 2017 00:24:51 +0100, Nick Odell <ni...@themusicworkshop.plus.com>
>wrote:
>
>>If you have the patience, simmer the unopened tin for about 3hrs in a
>>saucepan of water, let it cool down[1] then open the tin and spoon out
>>the delicious caramel.
>
>Best if sweetened condensed milk.

There is some room for confusion here. What you call Unsweetened
Condensed Milk we call Evaporated Milk although there is a slight
difference between the two manufacturing processes. Over here, the
term Condensed Milk is synonymous with Sweetened Condensed Milk

>And say 20 say 40 minutes in a pressure cooker also works, depending on how
>caramelly you like your caramel.
>
>>[1]I SAID LET IT COOL DOWN! Damn: now who's going to wipe all that
>>mess off the ceiling?
>
>Doubly true in a pressure cooker.

While I'm here and while we are talking about Evaporated Milk, does
anybody have any tips about extracting the water content from milk
without heating it in such a way as to change its character?

As if I haven't got enough to do, what with trying to develop films in
coffee and preparing for my up and coming retirement, I accidentally
made a batch of yogurt that was even nicer than usual and I'm trying
to work out why. Having experimented with another batch and a control
I've determined that 20% of the water content evaporates when I use my
normal method but the other method loses 33%. I'd like to find out
whether it is the water loss or the different treatment that
contributes to the taste and texture and I wonder if there's a way
remove enough water so that making yogurt my old way gives me a
finished product with 33% less for comparison?

Or am I going to have to buy Evaporated Milk and dilute it to get the
same effect?

Nick

Tim Wright

Apr 23, 2017, 3:24:21 PM4/23/17
A vacuum chamber might come in handy.

--
The pollen has been so bad the meth heads are turning their crystal back
into Sudafed.

Tim W

Nick Odell

Apr 23, 2017, 7:27:59 PM4/23/17
On Sun, 23 Apr 2017 14:24:06 -0500, Tim Wright <tlwri...@gmail.com>
wrote:
I bought a pump last year that was rated up to 600psi: if only it
could be thrown into reverse.

Nick
(A shock Pump, yeronner. For the cycling son)

Kerr Mudd-John

Apr 24, 2017, 6:32:09 AM4/24/17
On Mon, 24 Apr 2017 00:27:57 +0100, Nick Odell
<ni...@themusicworkshop.plus.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 23 Apr 2017 14:24:06 -0500, Tim Wright <tlwri...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 4/23/2017 13:12, Nick Odell wrote:
>>> On Sun, 23 Apr 2017 18:15:39 +0200, Thomas Prufer
[]
>>> A vacuum chamber might come in handy.
>
> I bought a pump last year that was rated up to 600psi: if only it
> could be thrown into reverse.
>
> Nick
> (A shock Pump, yeronner. For the cycling son)

I doubt very much my tyres can handle 80 psi let alone that crazy, nay
shocking, figure!

--
Bah, and indeed, Humbug

Thomas Prufer

Apr 25, 2017, 4:32:32 AM4/25/17
On Sun, 23 Apr 2017 19:12:42 +0100, Nick Odell <ni...@themusicworkshop.plus.com>
wrote:

>As if I haven't got enough to do, what with trying to develop films in
>coffee and preparing for my up and coming retirement, I accidentally
>made a batch of yogurt that was even nicer than usual and I'm trying
>to work out why. Having experimented with another batch and a control
>I've determined that 20% of the water content evaporates when I use my
>normal method but the other method loses 33%. I'd like to find out
>whether it is the water loss or the different treatment that
>contributes to the taste and texture and I wonder if there's a way
>remove enough water so that making yogurt my old way gives me a
>finished product with 33% less for comparison?

What I have done to make thicker yoghurt for homemade tandoori: chuck the stuff
in a paper coffee filter. The whey will leach from the yoghurt, leaving it
thicker and even paste-like, given enough patience (12 hours or more).

This would be after the yoghurting, not before.

Thomas Prufer

Nick Odell

Apr 25, 2017, 5:40:01 AM4/25/17
Yes, I've done this before (I use a fine weave linen cloth as a
filter). It makes a deliciously thick and creamy product and I believe
this is the Greek style way to make it. I try to avoid losing too much
of the nutritional value in the milk so I've been using another method
for thickening yogurt which is to bring it to the boil and then
continue boiling it for ten minutes, let it cool down to the
incubation temperature again then add the culture. That evaporates
about 20% of the water but the whey remains. I imagine that the milk
solids rearrange themselves into a more solid state because they seem
to trap the whey within them.

The accident was caused by starting to heat the milk and suddenly
discovering that somebody had nicked my starter yogurt from the fridge
and eaten it! So I simply brought the milk to simmering temperature
and left it covered for 24hrs whilst I went to bed, went to work and
bought a yogurt to use as a starter on my way home the next day. The
simmered-left-for-24hrs-plus-10-minute-boiled yogurt was brilliant and
worked when I did it deliberately next time. As I said before, this
double boiling method reduced the water content by 33% overall but
since I know the single boiling method already changes the character
of the milk, I can't be sure that reduction in water content is the
only factor involved. That's why I want to try the ten-minute boil on
a reduced-water-content milk for comparison.

I know I don't have to find this out - after all, if a recipe works,
it works. But I'd like to know why.

Nick

RustyHinge

Apr 25, 2017, 6:07:25 AM4/25/17
I was beaten to the caramel trick <boo, hiss>. Heed the warning: I
unforget a rather green Oyb Scout who got confused, then
pebble^h^h^bean-dashed hisself after taking the can off the fire and
punshering it.

--
Rusty Hinge

RustyHinge

Apr 25, 2017, 6:23:14 AM4/25/17
On 23/04/17 19:12, Nick Odell wrote:

There is some room for confusion here. What you call Unsweetened
Condensed Milk we call Evaporated Milk although there is a slight
difference between the two manufacturing processes. Over here, the
term Condensed Milk is synonymous with Sweetened Condensed Milk

Same over here. Condensed milk thick and sweet, evaporated, thinner and UAB

> While I'm here and while we are talking about Evaporated Milk, does
> anybody have any tips about extracting the water content from milk
> without heating it in such a way as to change its character?

Put opened tin in a saucepan, with a glass bockle, wedged in place so
neither can fall over. Put a dessertspoon og calcium chloride in the
bockle (but *NOT* in the mlik!).

Cover saucepan with cling-fillum, and leave floating in a warm basin of
water until mlik is suitably unwet.

> As if I haven't got enough to do, what with trying to develop films in
> coffee and preparing for my up and coming retirement, I accidentally
> made a batch of yogurt that was even nicer than usual and I'm trying
> to work out why. Having experimented with another batch and a control
> I've determined that 20% of the water content evaporates when I use my
> normal method but the other method loses 33%. I'd like to find out
> whether it is the water loss or the different treatment that
> contributes to the taste and texture and I wonder if there's a way
> remove enough water so that making yogurt my old way gives me a
> finished product with 33% less for comparison?

UAB!

> Or am I going to have to buy Evaporated Milk and dilute it to get the
> same effect?
>
> Nick

RustyHinge

Apr 25, 2017, 6:26:05 AM4/25/17
Most modern tyres of decent quality should. IIRC, mine are supposed to
inflate to 90 psi for normal use.

RustyHinge

Apr 25, 2017, 6:28:06 AM4/25/17
You can do it a bit quickerer using a fine sieve/tea-strainer.

RustyHinge

Apr 25, 2017, 6:30:50 AM4/25/17
ITYF that it's due to the milk solids forming plastics...

Nick Odell

Apr 25, 2017, 6:31:45 AM4/25/17
On Tue, 25 Apr 2017 11:23:13 +0100, RustyHinge
<rusty...@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:

>On 23/04/17 19:12, Nick Odell wrote:
>

>There is some room for confusion here. What you call Unsweetened
>Condensed Milk we call Evaporated Milk although there is a slight
>difference between the two manufacturing processes. Over here, the
>term Condensed Milk is synonymous with Sweetened Condensed Milk
>
>Same over here. Condensed milk thick and sweet, evaporated, thinner and UAB

Still some room for confusion I fear: you and I are over here and I
think Thomas is over there.

>> While I'm here and while we are talking about Evaporated Milk, does
>> anybody have any tips about extracting the water content from milk
>> without heating it in such a way as to change its character?
>
>Put opened tin in a saucepan, with a glass bockle, wedged in place so
>neither can fall over. Put a dessertspoon og calcium chloride in the
>bockle (but *NOT* in the mlik!).

Sorry, I ought to have said, "extracting the water content from
*fresh* milk" But it is an interesting idea.

>Cover saucepan with cling-fillum, and leave floating in a warm basin of
>water until mlik is suitably unwet.

But doesn't the CaCl2 suck the water out of the -erme- water in
preference to the water out of the milk?
<snippety>

Nick

Thomas Prufer

Apr 25, 2017, 7:52:24 AM4/25/17
On Tue, 25 Apr 2017 10:40:00 +0100, Nick Odell <ni...@themusicworkshop.plus.com>
wrote:

>Yes, I've done this before (I use a fine weave linen cloth as a
>filter). It makes a deliciously thick and creamy product and I believe
>this is the Greek style way to make it.

Not sure about that: the greek and "greek style" yoghurt here comes in anything
from 10% to 30% milk fat. So they may start with more cream than milk...

I also STR that we'd make yoghurt from UHT milk, as it was a) cheaper and b)
we'd just warm it and not boil it, as it had already been boiled IYSWIM.

Oh, and I usually find something to use the whey in, so the nutritional value is
just moved, and not lost.

Thomas Prufer

Kerr Mudd-John

Apr 25, 2017, 7:54:19 AM4/25/17
On Tue, 25 Apr 2017 11:26:04 +0100, RustyHinge
<rusty...@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:

> On 24/04/17 11:32, Kerr Mudd-John wrote:
>> On Mon, 24 Apr 2017 00:27:57 +0100, Nick Odell
>> <ni...@themusicworkshop.plus.com> wrote:

>> []
>>>
>>> I bought a pump last year that was rated up to 600psi: if only it
>>> could be thrown into reverse.
>>>
>>> Nick
>>> (A shock Pump, yeronner. For the cycling son)
>>
>> I doubt very much my tyres can handle 80 psi let alone that crazy, nay
>> shocking, figure!
>>
> Most modern tyres of decent quality should. IIRC, mine are supposed to
> inflate to 90 psi for normal use.

NMine aren't quality then; max 65 psi (so-called "mountain"-bike tyres)

RustyHinge

Apr 25, 2017, 8:04:21 AM4/25/17
On 25/04/17 11:31, Nick Odell wrote:

> But doesn't the CaCl2 suck the water out of the -erme- water in
> preference to the water out of the milk?
> <snippety>

If you've kling-wrapped the pan, no.

You could use the airing cupboard TAAAAW, but with fresh mlik you'd
probabbly end-up with yog-ugh anyway.

RustyHinge

Apr 25, 2017, 8:42:11 AM4/25/17
Place whey on very low heat and stir with a wooden spatula - frequently.
As the water evaporates, you are left with a light brown puddingy stuff.

This is called 'mjisost' and when cooled into ingots, may be eaten as a
sort of (UAB) cheese. The Norwegians (who waste nothing except other
lands), somehow discovered it could be eaten...

Tim Wright

Apr 25, 2017, 9:00:06 AM4/25/17
On 4/23/2017 13:12, Nick Odell wrote:
I confess to not having read this entire thread. Perhaps someone has
suggested this already. Why not just add some powered milk to the milk
you make your yogurt from. That'd take up the excess water you're
trying to get rid of.

Mike Fleming

Apr 25, 2017, 5:33:09 PM4/25/17
In article <odbnf2$q36$2...@dont-email.me>, Tone <To...@gnospam.com>
writes:
I unforget this from when I were a little boy and my parents bought me
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang in the three parts it originally came in (the
book, that is):

https://popgoesthepage.princeton.edu/tag/monsieur-bon-bons-secret-fooj/

--
Mike Fleming

Mike Fleming

Apr 25, 2017, 5:37:08 PM4/25/17
In article <op.yy811...@dell3100.workgroup>, "Kerr Mudd-John"
But at the top of a respectable mountain, that would be several of
atmospheres rather than a mere 2.

--
Mike Fleming

Nick Odell

Apr 25, 2017, 7:35:04 PM4/25/17
On Tue, 25 Apr 2017 07:59:50 -0500, Tim Wright <tlwri...@gmail.com>
wrote:
This is true. It's also a method of thickening yogurt often mentioned
in recipes so it has provenance and thanks for the suggestion. I
suppose I could use dried milk experimentally but I'm not too keen on
the flavour of yogurt made from dried milk so I wouldn't use it
regularly.

At the current, low, price of liquid milk it's also a darned site more
expensive to make yogurt with the dried milk powder.

Nick