Grupos de Google ya no admite nuevas publicaciones ni suscripciones de Usenet. El contenido anterior sigue siendo visible.

Ellen MacArthur's eqipment

Visto 0 veces
Saltar al primer mensaje no leído

Duncan Heenan

no leída,
13 dic 2004, 6:05:0213/12/04
I gather that B&Q/Castorama is suffering various types of equipment failure
which could well end the record attempt.
Not very good for the market image of B&Q and Castorama, and another good
reason to re-examine the wisdom of continuing this sponsorship.

Dennis Pogson

no leída,
13 dic 2004, 9:05:2713/12/04

What could she possibly have on the boat that could be bought at B&Q?
Electronics? Rigging? Safety equipment? Clothing?

Why not place the blame for equipment failures on the shoulders of the
suppliers of such equipment?

Dennis.

Remove "nospam" from return address.

---

Simon Brooke

no leída,
13 dic 2004, 8:15:3113/12/04
in message <41bd7...@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com>, Duncan Heenan
('duncan...@tiscali.co.uk') wrote:

Oh, good. Who next can come up with some 'subtle' way of putting down
the challenge to their masculinity represented by a small woman doing
things they would not dare?

--
si...@jasmine.org.uk (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/
;; Sending your money to someone just because they've erected

Ian Johnston

no leída,
13 dic 2004, 9:51:4913/12/04
On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 14:05:27 UTC, "Dennis Pogson"
<dennisnos...@ntlworld.com> wrote:

: What could she possibly have on the boat that could be bought at B&Q?

: Electronics? Rigging? Safety equipment? Clothing?

Cheap electric screwdrivers? Paving slabs? Giant illuminated Santa
Claus?

Ian

--

Se ha eliminado el mensaje
Se ha eliminado el mensaje

Peter Verdon

no leída,
13 dic 2004, 10:39:1613/12/04
Dennis Pogson wrote:
> Duncan Heenan wrote:

>> I gather that B&Q/Castorama is suffering various types of equipment
>> failure which could well end the record attempt.
>> Not very good for the market image of B&Q and Castorama,

^^^^^^^^^^^

> What could she possibly have on the boat that could be bought at B&Q?

> Why not place the blame for equipment failures on the shoulders of the
> suppliers of such equipment?

Observe the underlining above.

It doesn't have to make sense.

Pete

Ignatios Souvatzis

no leída,
13 dic 2004, 11:09:2813/12/04
"Duncan Heenan" wrote:

Well, apparently she DIY^HH, repairing her water makers and adding some
ventilation to her power generator... Which is good for marketing, because
DIY can solve your problems! ;-)

-is

Alan Frame

no leída,
13 dic 2004, 11:36:5513/12/04
martin <m...@privacy.net> wrote:

> On 13 Dec 2004 07:18:57 -0800, danny_de...@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

> >Simon Brooke wrote:
> >
> >> Oh, good. Who next can come up with some 'subtle' way of putting down
> >> the challenge to their masculinity represented by a small woman doing
> >> things they would not dare?
> >

> >I'll have a go.
> >
> >I add: "She gets sponsorship oppotunities no man would get."
> >to the pot.
>
> Easily proved to be bollocks, by the fact that plenty of men get
> sponsorship doing similar things.

What about that Golding chap - sponsored by a washing-powder company -
how girly is that? ;->

<g,d&r>, Alan
--
99 Ducati 748BP, 95 Ducati 600SS, 81 Guzzi Monza, 74 MV Agusta 350
"Ride to Work, Work to Ride" SI# 7.067 DoD#1930 PGP Key 0xBDED56C5

danny_de...@yahoo.co.uk

no leída,
13 dic 2004, 10:18:5713/12/04

Simon Brooke wrote:

> Oh, good. Who next can come up with some 'subtle' way of putting down
> the challenge to their masculinity represented by a small woman doing
> things they would not dare?

I'll have a go.

Paul Cooke

no leída,
13 dic 2004, 12:43:4913/12/04
Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:

I'm shocked to discover that they:

1) failed to consider the ventilation/cooling aspects of that standby
generator
2) apparently didn't run the main genny for any length of time to check the
oil consumption figures for themselves and then add a very generous safety
margin
3) haven't got a wind generator on that boat for just such an eventuality...

the last one is most amazing as she's been fighting her way through 40 knot
winds for some time now...

and given the boats amazing speed through the water, that they haven't got
an underwater, impeller driven, generator either to deploy for
emergencies... it wouldn't be too hard, just carry the thing inboard, and
hang it out over the side when you need it.

David Pocock

no leída,
13 dic 2004, 13:45:0913/12/04

>in message <41bd7...@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com>, Duncan Heenan
>('duncan...@tiscali.co.uk') wrote:
>
>> I gather that B&Q/Castorama is suffering various types of equipment
>> failure which could well end the record attempt.
>> Not very good for the market image of B&Q and Castorama, and another
>> good reason to re-examine the wisdom of continuing this sponsorship.
>
>Oh, good. Who next can come up with some 'subtle' way of putting down
>the challenge to their masculinity represented by a small woman doing
>things they would not dare?

Simon - you speak the truth. There's nothing more dispiriting than the
envious male ego. Go Ellen - you're totally brilliant!

David

--

Alan C Clark

no leída,
13 dic 2004, 13:50:5013/12/04

"martin" <m...@privacy.net> wrote in message

| >Cheap electric screwdrivers? Paving slabs? Giant illuminated Santa
| >Claus?
|
| Solar powered gnome illuminators used as anchor lights?
| --
| Martin

Haven't seen either of those on the webcams.....

Nigel

no leída,
13 dic 2004, 16:00:3913/12/04
> Oh, good. Who next can come up with some 'subtle' way of putting down
> the challenge to their masculinity represented by a small woman doing
> things they would not dare?

Did you see those stabilisers, but then she is just a girl

Duncan Heenan

no leída,
14 dic 2004, 5:06:5414/12/04

"Simon Brooke" <si...@jasmine.org.uk> wrote in message

> in message <41bd7...@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com>, Duncan Heenan
> ('duncan...@tiscali.co.uk') wrote:
>
>> I gather that B&Q/Castorama is suffering various types of equipment
>> failure which could well end the record attempt.
>> Not very good for the market image of B&Q and Castorama, and another
>> good reason to re-examine the wisdom of continuing this sponsorship.
>
> Oh, good. Who next can come up with some 'subtle' way of putting down
> the challenge to their masculinity represented by a small woman doing
> things they would not dare?
.
The comment is not aimed at EM, but at the marketing dick heads who are
spending my money (I am an investor in kingfisher Group) stupidly.

Duncan Heenan

no leída,
14 dic 2004, 5:01:4914/12/04

"Dennis Pogson" <dennisnos...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

> Duncan Heenan wrote:
>> I gather that B&Q/Castorama is suffering various types of equipment
>> failure which could well end the record attempt.
>> Not very good for the market image of B&Q and Castorama, and another
>> good reason to re-examine the wisdom of continuing this sponsorship.
>
> What could she possibly have on the boat that could be bought at B&Q?
> Electronics? Rigging? Safety equipment? Clothing?
>
> Why not place the blame for equipment failures on the shoulders of the
> suppliers of such equipment?

Then why not name the boat after those suppliers?

Duncan Heenan

no leída,
14 dic 2004, 5:07:3414/12/04

"martin" <m...@privacy.net> wrote in message
> On 13 Dec 2004 14:51:49 GMT, "Ian Johnston"
> Solar powered gnome illuminators used as anchor lights?
> --

I doubt if she'll be anchoring much on this trip.

Duncan Heenan

no leída,
14 dic 2004, 5:08:4914/12/04

"Ignatios Souvatzis" <igna...@fourier.cs.uni-bonn.de> wrote in message

Problems created by unreliable equipment and poor design.

Duncan Heenan

no leída,
14 dic 2004, 5:13:2614/12/04

"David Pocock" <dav...@spampoey.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

There are 2 which spring to mind: a) - gender obsessed males who believe
that things done by women are somehow wonderful, where gender has actually
little to do with it. b) anyone who swallows the marketing bullshit of stunt
performers and their team whole and uncritically.
It has nothing to do with male ego. It has to do with money.

Duncan Heenan

no leída,
14 dic 2004, 5:13:5314/12/04

"Nigel" <jass...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Why is her gender relevant?

Se ha eliminado el mensaje

Ignatios Souvatzis

no leída,
14 dic 2004, 8:51:0314/12/04
Paul Cooke <...> writes:

> I'm shocked to discover that they:

> 3) haven't got a wind generator on that boat for just such an eventuality...
>
> [...]

> and given the boats amazing speed through the water, that they haven't got
> an underwater, impeller driven, generator either to deploy for
> emergencies... it wouldn't be too hard, just carry the thing inboard, and
> hang it out over the side when you need it.

I guess: "weight, weight, weight."

She wants to sail faster with neglectable wind - should need be - than
I was sailing on the north see with 7 Bft.

Regards,
-is

Ronald Raygun

no leída,
14 dic 2004, 9:07:0914/12/04
Duncan Heenan wrote:

> There are 2 which spring to mind: a) - gender obsessed males

Males are not obsessed with gender.

> who believe
> that things done by women are somehow wonderful, where gender has actually
> little to do with it.

Exactly. It's not about gender, it's about sex.

A-MAze

no leída,
14 dic 2004, 10:45:5414/12/04

> I'm shocked to discover that they:
>
> 1) failed to consider the ventilation/cooling aspects of that standby
> generator
> 2) apparently didn't run the main genny for any length of time to check the
> oil consumption figures for themselves and then add a very generous safety
> margin
> 3) haven't got a wind generator on that boat for just such an eventuality...
>
> the last one is most amazing as she's been fighting her way through 40 knot
> winds for some time now...
>
> and given the boats amazing speed through the water, that they haven't got
> an underwater, impeller driven, generator either to deploy for
> emergencies... it wouldn't be too hard, just carry the thing inboard, and
> hang it out over the side when you need it.
Believe it or not, she is trying to break a SPEED record, which (in a
trimaran) means NOT taking all that extra weight with you. Isn't two
watermakers and two generators enough? And if you see how such projects
are managed, it's hardly surprising the genny wasn't run in ambient
temperatures of what she's experiencing for a while. Not everything can
be foreseen, otherwise she wouldn't be doing what she's doing, but
working in a BANK.
The fact that she fixes this stuff is what's really worth mentioning.
Victor

Paul Cooke

no leída,
14 dic 2004, 13:29:2814/12/04
Duncan Heenan wrote:

well the answer is in your own hands then... next shareholder's meeting,
attend and vote against them... let them know why and make sure you let the
papers know why you are making a protest vote as well. They hate having
reporters nosing around and bad publicity at those meetings.

Either that, or sell your shares and make a big song and dance about it with
a letter campaign to them and in the press.

Duncan Heenan

no leída,
15 dic 2004, 3:17:4915/12/04

"Ronald Raygun" <no....@localhost.localdomain> wrote in message

I stand corrected, please replace 'gender' with 'sex' and consider it
reposted.
And though all Males may not be obsessed with sex, you appear to be.

Dennis Pogson

no leída,
15 dic 2004, 4:46:1215/12/04
Remove "nospam" from return address.
"Duncan Heenan" <duncan...@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
It's doubtful whether B&Q Castorama had anything whatsoever to do with the
choice of equipment on board, so why blame them? I don't notice that the
industrial world is heavily populated by miniature desalinization-system
makers or small diesel generator manufacturers. You talk as though the
choice is vast, whereas in fact, if you had ever fitted such equipment you
would know that this is far from the case.

If the equipment is British, one could understand it's failure to perform to
specification. If, however such equipment was, as is usual these days,
British-designed but made in China, then it is amazing that she has
experienced problems.

As for the so-called "shareholder" who posted his misgivings about B&Q
getting involved in such a venture. He will be pleased to hear that I
attended, or tried to attend, the opening day of a new B&Q in Scotland
recently, but the car-park, which was only designed to hold 2000 cars, was
full to capacity, so I had to turn away disappointed. His money should be
safe enough with support on this scale!

I am neither a shareholder in Kingfisher, nor do I go very often to shop at
their facilities, but I do admire companies who support the sport. It a
great pity that Ellen is not sailing a multihull named Marks and Sparks.
Think about that!

Duncan Heenan

no leída,
15 dic 2004, 8:48:2315/12/04

> Remove "nospam" from return address.
> "Duncan Heenan" <duncan...@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
>>
>> "Ignatios Souvatzis" <igna...@fourier.cs.uni-bonn.de> wrote in message

> good
>> >
>> > Well, apparently she DIY^HH, repairing her water makers and adding some
>> > ventilation to her power generator... Which is good for marketing,
> because
>> > DIY can solve your problems! ;-)
>>
>> Problems created by unreliable equipment and poor design.
>>
> It's doubtful whether B&Q Castorama had anything whatsoever to do with the
> choice of equipment on board, so why blame them?

They had evrything to do with it. They paid for it and approved the project
and its managers. They stuck their names all over it.

I don't notice that the
> industrial world is heavily populated by miniature desalinization-system
> makers or small diesel generator manufacturers. You talk as though the
> choice is vast, whereas in fact, if you had ever fitted such equipment you
> would know that this is far from the case.
>
> If the equipment is British, one could understand it's failure to perform
> specification. If, however such equipment was, as is usual these days,
> British-designed but made in China, then it is amazing that she has
> experienced problems.
>
> As for the so-called "shareholder" who posted his misgivings about B&Q
> getting involved in such a venture.

That was me, and I assure you I am a shareholder.

>He will be pleased to hear that I
> attended, or tried to attend, the opening day of a new B&Q in Scotland
> recently, but the car-park, which was only designed to hold 2000 cars, was
> full to capacity, so I had to turn away disappointed. His money should be
> safe enough with support on this scale!

Wouldn't you rather have a better car park to use yourself, with the money,
than third hand news of someone earning lots of money doing stunts?

> I am neither a shareholder in Kingfisher, nor do I go very often to shop
> at
> their facilities, but I do admire companies who support the sport. It a
> great pity that Ellen is not sailing a multihull named Marks and Sparks.
> Think about that!

As a shareholder in M&S also, I'm very grateful that they are not supporting
a daft enterprise like the Kingfisher one. In fact they seem to be getting
their marketing back on track, albeit slowly.

Pete

no leída,
15 dic 2004, 9:38:5415/12/04

Duncan Heenan wrote:

>>specification. If, however such equipment was, as is usual these days,
>>British-designed but made in China, then it is amazing that she has
>>experienced problems.
>>
>>As for the so-called "shareholder" who posted his misgivings about B&Q
>>getting involved in such a venture.
>

> That was me, and I assure you I am a shareholder.
>

>>He will be pleased to hear that I
>>attended, or tried to attend, the opening day of a new B&Q in Scotland
>>recently, but the car-park, which was only designed to hold 2000 cars, was
>>full to capacity, so I had to turn away disappointed. His money should be
>>safe enough with support on this scale!
>

> Wouldn't you rather have a better car park to use yourself, with the money,
> than third hand news of someone earning lots of money doing stunts?
>

>>I am neither a shareholder in Kingfisher, nor do I go very often to shop
>>at
>>their facilities, but I do admire companies who support the sport. It a
>>great pity that Ellen is not sailing a multihull named Marks and Sparks.
>>Think about that!
>

> As a shareholder in M&S also, I'm very grateful that they are not supporting
> a daft enterprise like the Kingfisher one. In fact they seem to be getting
> their marketing back on track, albeit slowly.

Personally, I'd much rather see the advertising budget spent on a
sailing project than on suporting crap programmes on ITV!

Ronald Raygun

no leída,
15 dic 2004, 12:51:0915/12/04
Duncan Heenan wrote:

> I stand corrected, please replace 'gender' with 'sex' and consider it
> reposted.
> And though all Males may not be obsessed with sex, you appear to be.

No no no. I'm not obsessed with sex, but with "sex" (the word) (and
I'm not obsessed either, just concerned). I despise the word-rape
which is involved here.

What gets my goat is the gratuitous shift in common usage over the past
decade or three, from using the word "sex" to using "gender" instead,
when trying to express the biological quality of being male or female.

This is presumably derived from a prudish desire to avoid using the
word "sex" altogther because of its association with sexual activity.
"Sex" is a dirty word, but nice ordinary men & women, girls & boys,
aren't dirty, so we need to find a cleaner word to tell them apart.

Or perhaps it's a legal thing. What with sex discrimination being
outlawed, people discriminate on the basis of gender instead and
think they'll get away with it. Tsk. It's as bad as trying to get
around racial discrimination by asking for your "ethnic origin"
instead. "White", it appears, is one such. Double tsk.

The problem with commandeering the poor old G-word is that it
already means something else. Apart from the grammatical
quality of being masculine or feminine (which one need hardly be
surprised English-speakers largely don't know about, since to
them gender inflection is a totally foreign concept), it also
describes the psychological quality of being masculine or feminine,
which as we know doesn't fully correlate with being male of female.

By loading both concepts onto the G-word, we lose the useful
distinction we had when we could use the S-word with impunity.
Now, unfortunately, the S-word just seems to mean not what you
are but what you do.

Duncan Heenan

no leída,
15 dic 2004, 13:07:1015/12/04

"Ronald Raygun" <no....@localhost.localdomain> wrote in message

I take your point about language. But still don't agree with you on the
worth of Offshore Challenges' stunts to its commercial sponsors - whether
they are cunning stunts or the spoonerism thereof.

danny_de...@yahoo.co.uk

no leída,
14 dic 2004, 3:37:2514/12/04
martin wrote:
> On 13 Dec 2004 07:18:57 -0800, danny_de...@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

> >Simon Brooke wrote:
> >
> Easily proved to be bollocks, by the fact that plenty of men get
> sponsorship doing similar things.

Ok, I don't know how we compare this fairly but can we name the guy who
beat her in the Vende? (I couldn't till I read her autobiography). Can
we name the guy who has the current world sailing speed record? Can we
name the guy who has the current RTW record? Sponsors want publicity
so the must get more sponsorship cash. I think the fact she's sailed in
every race she aspired to when male competitors frequently fail to get
the cash together is all the proof you need.

> She's passed exams too!

She's the classic example of how I think people should progress in
sailing. She'd sailed a *lot* before she took Yachtmaster. She felt day
skipper was a waste of time and didn't bother. Which is *exactly* what
I think.

Ellen did a *lot* of sailing before she counted herself as a skipper.
She totally supports my view of the experience you require to call
yourself skipper. I think she would get more respect from a crew than
someone with 100 miles of sailing.

Wally

no leída,
15 dic 2004, 15:26:5815/12/04
Duncan Heenan wrote:

>> It's doubtful whether B&Q Castorama had anything whatsoever to do
>> with the choice of equipment on board, so why blame them?

> They had evrything to do with it. They paid for it and approved the
> project and its managers. They stuck their names all over it.

What does handing over money for advertising space have to do with the
choice of equipment? Do you have any *evidence* that the managers that
sanctioned the sponsorship had any influence on what gear was fitted to the
boat?

--
Wally
www.artbywally.com

Ronald Raygun

no leída,
15 dic 2004, 15:45:1915/12/04
Duncan Heenan wrote:

> I take your point about language. But still don't agree with you on the
> worth of Offshore Challenges' stunts to its commercial sponsors -

I don't recall having voiced an opinion on that issue, you must be
confusing me with someone else.

> whether they are cunning stunts or the spoonerism thereof.

That's, errm, below the belt. :-)

Duncan Heenan

no leída,
15 dic 2004, 17:54:3315/12/04

"Wally" <cedar_...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
It is the principle of the project I am objecting to. Not nit picking the
detail.

Wally

no leída,
15 dic 2004, 19:43:0815/12/04
Duncan Heenan wrote:

>> What does handing over money for advertising space have to do with
>> the choice of equipment? Do you have any *evidence* that the
>> managers that sanctioned the sponsorship had any influence on what
>> gear was fitted to the
>> boat?

> It is the principle of the project I am objecting to. Not nit picking
> the detail.

Whether or not you like it, what she's doing is attempting a world record.
It's a sad fact of the capitalist system that the only way to do that is to
get funding from something that has loads of money to sink into the
technology required to make it feasible. We ordinary mortals will never be
able to afford the sort of equipment she's using to make this attempt. As
sailors, we should be inspired and awed by what she's doing.

The only purpose that your shareholding has is to exploit the workers that
make the money for B&Q. You do fuck-all while others work to earn the
profits that make the dividends that go into your pocket. Since you're quite
happy to take the fruits of others' labours, I find it quite hypocryitcal of
you to whine that B&Q are engaging in a profit-increasing marketing exercise
which will futher line your pockets while you do fuck-all to earn it. Why
don't you stick to your petty-bourgeous principles and be glad of the chance
of an increased rate of worker rip-off?

She got B&Q to hand over millions so that she can do what's she's decided to
dedicate her life to, and B&Q get some good publicity out of it. That's a
key aspect of how the very system that you are an active part of works. Do
you object to Richard Branson messing around with balloons with 'Virgin'
written n them? Do you object to Formula 1 cars covered with sponsor decals?

Good fuckin' luck to her.

--
Wally
www.artbywally.com

Duncan Heenan

no leída,
16 dic 2004, 4:10:4316/12/04

"Wally" <cedar_...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Thank you comrade. It is actually the customers we capitalist prefer to
'exploit'. However both customers and workers are free to leave if they
don't like it. If you have a pension fund you ought to take more interest in
investing. Am I being condemned for saving all my life and trying to
administer my own pension so I'm not a burden on the state?
It is not EM I am criticising, it is Kingfisher's management. But I wouldn't
expect you to understand that, since you are a self confessed Wally.

PyroJames

no leída,
16 dic 2004, 5:06:0216/12/04

Wally <cedar_...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

I guess he thinks that the various cigarette companys that sponsor F1 also
specify bit of the car too. Carbon fibre, brake lining, oil etc....

--
PyroJames
Surround yourself with all you own ,

Duncan Heenan

no leída,
16 dic 2004, 8:47:1516/12/04

"Paul Cooke" <paul_cooke@linuxmail_NOSPAM.org> wrote in message
Already in hand.

Simon Brooke

no leída,
16 dic 2004, 8:35:2416/12/04
in message <41c04...@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com>, Duncan Heenan
('duncan...@tiscali.co.uk') wrote:

You can get a bigger willy here: <URL:http://www.harleymedical.co.uk/>

Can't do anything about your courage, sorry.

--
si...@jasmine.org.uk (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

-- mens vacua in medio vacuo --

Stefan Lloyd

no leída,
16 dic 2004, 10:12:1016/12/04

> You can get a bigger willy here: <URL:http://www.harleymedical.co.uk/>

That cheap comment is unworthy of you, Simon.

danny_de...@yahoo.co.uk

no leída,
16 dic 2004, 10:38:2816/12/04

Yeah, but it was useful info all the same.
I'm booked in for a massive schlong next Monday.

Duncan Heenan

no leída,
16 dic 2004, 10:54:2416/12/04

"Simon Brooke" <si...@jasmine.org.uk> wrote in message

It was not about me. It was about the Kingfisher Group Management. If you've
got a pension fund it's quite likely you're an indirect shareholder too. So
why the personal abuse?

Wally

no leída,
16 dic 2004, 11:59:1016/12/04
Duncan Heenan wrote:

> Thank you comrade.

I ain't no comrade.

> It is not EM I am criticising, it is Kingfisher's management. But I
> wouldn't expect you to understand that,

And what, exactly, is the Kingfisher management getting wrong?

> since you are a self confessed Wally.

Heard it - you lack imagination.

--
Wally
www.artbywally.com

Duncan Heenan

no leída,
16 dic 2004, 15:05:3916/12/04

"Wally" <cedar_...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

It's all in the original post, comrade poster.

Wally

no leída,
16 dic 2004, 15:22:2316/12/04
Duncan Heenan wrote:

> It's all in the original post, comrade poster.

You object to them sponsoring her because something broke?? Are you
seriously worried that your shares will drop in value because something
popped? Will people stop shopping at B&Q because of that?

TBH, I think you're being overly negative. There isn't a B&Q near me,
otherwise, I'd shop there rather than Homebase - because B&Q are generally
cheaper and have a better range. If Homebase was sponsoring Ellen, I'd still
prefer to shop at B&Q. As an occasional materials-buying punter, I don't
give a toss about their sponsorship and promo deals - I'm only interested in
range, quality, price, and availability within a reasonable distance.

--
Wally
www.artbywally.com

Guy Fawkes

no leída,
16 dic 2004, 20:31:2316/12/04
Wally wrote:

> TBH, I think you're being overly negative. There isn't a B&Q near me,
> otherwise, I'd shop there rather than Homebase - because B&Q are generally
> cheaper and have a better range.

oxymoron alert.

I went to the local B+Q a couple of weeks ago for a tube of sealant /
adhesive, cos b+q is very near me and has a large car park, I perused the
range of shitty brands ranging in prices from about 3 quid a tube for the
utter shite to 7 quid a tube for the stuff that will stick to something
other than the tube it comes in...

"fuck this" was my comment and reaction, drove the extra 2 miles to jewsons
where I got a tube of "sticks like shit" (which does) for 2.50

really, you have to search hard to find lower quality product and higher
profit margins than b+q

Duncan Heenan

no leída,
16 dic 2004, 16:17:4216/12/04

"Wally" <cedar_...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Not because something broke, but because it does no commercial good. The
fact that something broke merely adds to the downside and risks inherent in
sponsoring the project.
Thank you, you prove my point precisely.

Wally

no leída,
16 dic 2004, 16:39:1416/12/04
Duncan Heenan wrote:

> Not because something broke, but because it does no commercial good.

It's exposure for the company - publicity. Just like washing powder ads
primarly exist to keep the brand in the public eye. That's what branded
sponsorship is about. Do you object to all branded sponsorship?

--
Wally
www.artbywally.com

Wally

no leída,
16 dic 2004, 16:45:2816/12/04
Guy Fawkes wrote:

> I went to the local B+Q a couple of weeks ago for a tube of sealant /
> adhesive, cos b+q is very near me and has a large car park, I perused
> the range of shitty brands ranging in prices from about 3 quid a tube
> for the utter shite to 7 quid a tube for the stuff that will stick to
> something other than the tube it comes in...
>
> "fuck this" was my comment and reaction, drove the extra 2 miles to
> jewsons where I got a tube of "sticks like shit" (which does) for 2.50
>
> really, you have to search hard to find lower quality product and
> higher profit margins than b+q

Believe me, the timber in Homebase is some of the worst shit made of wood
I've ever encountered. Warped, twisted, full of shakes, hardly enough stock
to cherry pick one or two decent bits, and the prices are jaw-dropping.
Maybe it's a local thing - the B&Q mega-warehouse is an hour's drive away,
and it's well worth the trip if I'm getting more than one or two bits - it's
piled high with stock and really is much cheaper.

--
Wally
www.artbywally.com

Ronald Raygun

no leída,
16 dic 2004, 16:51:3116/12/04
Wally wrote:

> Believe me, the timber in Homebase is some of the worst shit made of wood
> I've ever encountered. Warped, twisted,

I understand they do a good line in sense of humour as well.

Wally

no leída,
16 dic 2004, 16:55:3616/12/04
Ronald Raygun wrote:

Well, they take the piss...

No, really, they do. Once upon a time, there was a small, stainless steel
bathroom cabinet in Ikea, selling for about 25 quid. One day, I walked into
Homebase and saw the exact same thing. They were charging.....

.....70 quid.

--
Wally
www.artbywally.com

Guy Fawkes

no leída,
16 dic 2004, 23:33:0916/12/04
Wally wrote:

>Do you object to all branded sponsorship?

I do, a perfect example is Santa Claus in his twee red and white suit
complete with kiddies wanting to sit on his knee etc, when Santa Claus (as
opposed to Father Christmas) and the red and white suit (and the particular
shade of red) are all inventions and copyright the coca cola company.

Now I don't know about you, but as far as I can see an american carbonated
drinks company has absolutely fuck all to do with either some skinny jew
being nailed to a cross in galilee by a bunch of wops, or our own home
grown traditional yule ceremonies.

Sandy Morton

no leída,
16 dic 2004, 19:01:2216/12/04
In article <NWowd.473$gX4...@fe63.usenetserver.com>, Guy Fawkes

<lo...@ma.sig> wrote:
> Now I don't know about you, but as far as I can see an american
> carbonated drinks company has absolutely fuck all to do with either
> some skinny jew being nailed to a cross in galilee by a bunch of
> wops, or our own home grown traditional yule ceremonies.

just a wee bit sick - one more for the killfile.

--
A T (Sandy) Morton
on the Bicycle Island

danny_de...@yahoo.co.uk

no leída,
17 dic 2004, 4:04:2917/12/04
Sandy Morton wrote:
> In article <NWowd.473$gX4...@fe63.usenetserver.com>, Guy Fawkes
> <lo...@ma.sig> wrote:
> > Now I don't know about you, but as far as I can see an american
> > carbonated drinks company has absolutely fuck all to do with either
> > some skinny jew being nailed to a cross in galilee by a bunch of
> > wops, or our own home grown traditional yule ceremonies.
>
> just a wee bit sick - one more for the killfile.

You heard it Guy.

Do *not* take the name of Coca Cola in vain.

Incidently, I think the Jews & Romans killed the King of the Jews at
Easter, not Xmas.

Fancy dieing & being born on a bank holiday. What are the odds of that.

Ian Sandell

no leída,
17 dic 2004, 5:52:1617/12/04
On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 23:33:09 -0500, Guy Fawkes <lo...@ma.sig> wrote:

>Wally wrote:
>
>>Do you object to all branded sponsorship?
>
>I do, a perfect example is Santa Claus in his twee red and white suit
>complete with kiddies wanting to sit on his knee etc, when Santa Claus (as
>opposed to Father Christmas) and the red and white suit (and the particular
>shade of red) are all inventions and copyright the coca cola company.

I dont know whether this is atroll but it is completely untrue.

Ian

danny_de...@yahoo.co.uk

no leída,
17 dic 2004, 6:26:0617/12/04

Well I never. You speak without forked tongue:

http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/santa.asp

I don't suppose you find a web link to say for sure whether Christ's
birth was really prophesied and whether or not the miracles really were
miracles?

Duncan Heenan

no leída,
17 dic 2004, 6:31:0517/12/04

"Guy Fawkes" <lo...@ma.sig> wrote in message
Where do you get that one?
Santa Claus is a mispronunciation on translation of St.Nicholas, who became
the patron saint of Children and predates both the nomenclature 'Father
Christmas' and the Coca Cola company - who have no right over the name or
colours.

Duncan Heenan

no leída,
17 dic 2004, 6:43:0817/12/04

> Duncan Heenan wrote:
>
>> Not because something broke, but because it does no commercial good.
>
> It's exposure for the company - publicity. Just like washing powder ads
> primarly exist to keep the brand in the public eye. That's what branded
> sponsorship is about. Do you object to all branded sponsorship?

As I have said in previous posts, Corporate Sponsorship can play a part in
raising Brand Awareness, if it is relevant and done properly (e.g. Flora &
The British Heart Foundation). However this is the exception as, in my
experience, most Corporate sponsorship is actually self indulgence by senior
management fulfilling their dream vicariously by using Company money. People
pay ridiculous money to see their name in lights and to appear to be
associated with things they admire.
I can not see how Ocean racing stunts help improve the brand image of B&Q.
Everyone knows who B&Q/Castorama are so simply raising awareness of the name
is not necessary, i.e. a waste of money.

Guy Fawkes

no leída,
17 dic 2004, 14:14:0817/12/04
danny_de...@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

> You heard it Guy.
>
> Do *not* take the name of Coca Cola in vain.

pepsi, that'll rile em

> Incidently, I think the Jews & Romans killed the King of the Jews at
> Easter, not Xmas.

yeah, they were late and still are today, except for when benito was running
the trains

> Fancy dieing & being born on a bank holiday. What are the odds of that.

depends, tie dye or tap and die or lady di

Guy Fawkes

no leída,
17 dic 2004, 14:32:2817/12/04
Duncan Heenan wrote:

you are so wrong, on almost every point, santa claus, and americanisation of
santiclaus(sp?) who was an amalgam of st nicolas who was always depicted in
cardinals robes, and father christmas, who was always depicted in
bluey-greens, became amalgamated via a head to toe eskimo fur period into
the current fur lines suit around the world war one era, but he was still a
fringe figure in what was predominantly a religious season, you want a
modern analogy think of yule logs, kids today have never heard of them,
much less eaten one, but they are far more traditional than tesco's xmas
(sic) cake... then came the 40's and corporate america, and the coca cola
company with it's trademaked shade of red hired a cartoonist named Sundlom
(not a christian name) for a seasonal advertising campaign to fend off the
upstart pepsi, sundlom's santa in the coca cola corporate livery of red and
white has since then eclipsed all the traditional styles to the point where
no-one, including yourself apparently, can remember how things were before
60 years of marketing wiped the public psyche, and I assure you the red and
white coca cola santa and the colour coca cola red are just as trademarked
as Stelios' "easy"everythinginthe dictionary and Microsoft "windows"

merely wishing that such things are not true does not make them any the less
true.

Guy Fawkes

no leída,
17 dic 2004, 14:34:2617/12/04
danny_de...@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

> Ian Sandell wrote:

>> >I do, a perfect example is Santa Claus in his twee red and white
> suit
>> >complete with kiddies wanting to sit on his knee etc, when Santa
> Claus (as
>> >opposed to Father Christmas) and the red and white suit (and the
> particular
>> >shade of red) are all inventions and copyright the coca cola
> company.
>>
>> I dont know whether this is atroll but it is completely untrue.
>
> Well I never. You speak without forked tongue:
>
> http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/santa.asp

snopes isn't the oracle, it's generally correct, but it also has to pay heed
to lawyers and lawsuits so errs heavily on the side of caution.

Ian Sandell

no leída,
17 dic 2004, 10:31:1817/12/04

May be so, but you are still wrong.

Ian

Guy Fawkes

no leída,
17 dic 2004, 17:04:5017/12/04
Ian Sandell wrote:

which part of the english language is it that you are having difficulty
with.

Duncan Heenan

no leída,
18 dic 2004, 3:49:4918/12/04

> Snip urban mythological rambling <

Lie down in a darkened room for several hours. Then try posting again when
you're sober.

Ian Sandell

no leída,
18 dic 2004, 7:00:3418/12/04
On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 17:04:50 -0500, Guy Fawkes <lo...@ma.sig> wrote:

>Ian Sandell wrote:

>> May be so, but you are still wrong.
>
>which part of the english language is it that you are having difficulty
>with.

None. And you...?

Ian

0 mensajes nuevos