Massive spider

Christina Websell

Sep 7, 2014, 7:19:06 PM9/7/14
On my wall but couldn't get to it with a soft towel to throw it outside so
it got behind the stereo, and came out again 24 hours later. I watched it in
case could get it but I couldn't.
This morning something was blocking the plughole in my kitchen sink so I
cleared out the plughole and found myself holding something kind of wiry..
The spider. Must have drowned it when I emptied my washing up water out.
It was Big. 3 inches with the legs. I hoped it would get on the floor and
my cat would see it, but no. I accidently drowned it.. can't say I'm sorry.
big spiders are the only thing I don't like. When I found I'd picked it up,
well, was so horrified that it took me few mnurtes to get over it.
I can cope with any sort of snake, moth, beetle, insect but not a big
spider. I don't know why. My common sense tells me they are not any kind
of threat but something tells me otherwise. I can't tolerate large spiders.

Bob Hobden

Sep 8, 2014, 3:27:32 AM9/8/14
"Christina Websell" wrote.
I'm a bit like that too, it's illogical in the UK so it must be some sort of
genetic memory. I have twice seen a spider here that is fairly large, jet
black, and very smooth and shiny, it looks like it should be poisonous so
I've avoided getting too close to it. (we are near Heathrow)

Out in Oz up Port Douglas way I arrived at our holiday apartment pulled the
curtains and the biggest spider I'd even seen at that point landed upside
down on the floor, thinking it dead I bent down to pick it up and it jumped,
so did I !! (understatement) A perfectly harmless Huntsman but I didn't know
it at the time.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

David B

Sep 8, 2014, 4:35:27 AM9/8/14
"Bob Hobden" <Bo...@invalid.com> wrote in message
> "Christina Websell" wrote.
> >
> >I can cope with any sort of snake, moth, beetle, insect but not a big
> >spider. I don't know why. My common sense tells me they are not any
> >kind of threat but something tells me otherwise. I can't tolerate large
> >spiders.
> >

> I'm a bit like that too, it's illogical in the UK

I've been bitten by spiders a couple of times in the UK. Very itchy for a
few days.

--
David

Stephen Wolstenholme

Sep 8, 2014, 8:55:53 AM9/8/14
I'm the same. I call my wife to get rid of big spiders. She just picks
them up and throws them out.

One of our helpers suffers from extreme arachnophobia. She had
treatment and finished up stroking a tarantula but a week later she
was back to being arachnophobic.

Steve

--
Neural Network Software http://www.npsnn.com
EasyNN-plus More than just a neural network http://www.easynn.com

Message has been deleted

Mike Coon

Sep 8, 2014, 1:52:53 PM9/8/14
On 08/09/2014 16:00, Malcolm wrote:

> In article <s89r0alv7918nql37...@4ax.com>, Stephen
> Wolstenholme <st...@easynn.com> writes
>> One of our helpers suffers from extreme arachnophobia. She had
>> treatment and finished up stroking a tarantula but a week later she
>> was back to being arachnophobic.
>>
> And how was the tarantula after that experience?

Just biding its time!

Mike.

Darkside

Sep 9, 2014, 4:24:01 AM9/9/14
In article <c75434...@mid.individual.net>, Bob Hobden
<Bo...@invalid.com> writes

>I'm a bit like that too, it's illogical in the UK so it must be some sort of
>genetic memory. I have twice seen a spider here that is fairly large, jet
>black, and very smooth and shiny, it looks like it should be poisonous so
>I've avoided getting too close to it. (we are near Heathrow)

It's not genetic, your mother was frightened of spiders and you picked
it up from her. Mine was but didn't let us know it until we were
teenagers - we were surprised, but we were happy to remove spiders from
the sink and bath for her.
Being frightened of something doesn't help you deal with it, whether or
not it's dangerous.
--
Sue ]:(:)

Bob Hobden

Sep 9, 2014, 1:04:20 PM9/9/14
"Darkside" wrote

>Bob Hobden writes
>
>>I'm a bit like that too, it's illogical in the UK so it must be some sort
>>of
>>genetic memory. I have twice seen a spider here that is fairly large, jet
>>black, and very smooth and shiny, it looks like it should be poisonous so
>>I've avoided getting too close to it. (we are near Heathrow)
>
>It's not genetic, your mother was frightened of spiders and you picked
>it up from her. Mine was but didn't let us know it until we were
>teenagers - we were surprised, but we were happy to remove spiders from
>the sink and bath for her.
>Being frightened of something doesn't help you deal with it, whether or
>not it's dangerous.

No she wasn't.

Christina Websell

Sep 9, 2014, 6:18:49 PM9/9/14

"Stephen Wolstenholme" <st...@easynn.com> wrote in message
I think my heart would stop just before I touched a tarantula.
I've tried and tried to tell myself not to be afraid of big spiders "what's
the worse that could happen?" etc but it doesn't work. I'm with Bob about
some kind of genetic memory.
Just found another big one in the bath..it's their breeding season I believe
and they're all on the march looking for mates.
My mother was not afraid of big spiders. I am also one of my brothers is.
My other brother isn't.

It might be my grandfather's fault. I used to accompany him all the time to
*help* him with his gardening. I was probably a nuisance when I was small,
asking questions all the time. One day when we were in the greenhouse, I
think he was thinning out his grapes, he said "you see that over there? (his
little iron stove)" I said "Yes" He said "Well, there's a spider as big as
a robin in there"

I was about 4 or 5 and went running back up to the house to my grandmother.
Never forgotten it.
Maybe there *was* a big spider in it and he said it as a matter of interest
but maybe he thought it might get rid of me and give him a bit of peace.

Christina Websell

Sep 9, 2014, 6:41:37 PM9/9/14

"Malcolm" <Mal...@indaal.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

> And how was the tarantula after that experience?
>
> --
> Malcolm

I get your point. Most *pet* tarantulas are used to being handled though
but don't ask me why they are kept as pets, also with reptiles. I don't want
to get into a huge debate about what we should or should not have as pets
except it's my belief that some creatures are domesticated and happy with
it, and some wild things should be left in their natural environment.