More bikers die in London

The Older Gentleman

Mar 2, 2016, 10:47:41 AM3/2/16

Hm

Can't see how allowing motorcycles to use cycle lanes could contribute
to the rise.

--
Ninja H2 Honda CB400 Four CD200 Suzuki TS250ERRx2 BMW R60/6
Kawasaki KH100 660 Tenere Street Triple Yamaha V75

A.Lee

Mar 2, 2016, 10:51:24 AM3/2/16
The Older Gentleman wrote:

> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-35706703
>
> Hm
>
> Can't see how allowing motorcycles to use cycle lanes could contribute
> to the rise.

After seeing the antics of scooter riders a number of times last year, I
think they must be the largest rise in numbers.

--
Alan
To reply by mail, change '+' to 'plus'

zymur...@googlemail.com

Mar 2, 2016, 12:30:05 PM3/2/16
On Wednesday, March 2, 2016 at 3:47:41 PM UTC, TOG@Toil wrote:
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-35706703
>
> Hm
>
> Can't see how allowing motorcycles to use cycle lanes could contribute
> to the rise.

They seem to be stopping accidents by stopping and detaining over 5000 riders in 5 months. Wonder how many cars they stopped over the same period ?

Paul.

Ian Field

Mar 2, 2016, 12:46:43 PM3/2/16

"The Older Gentleman" <totallyde...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-35706703
>
> Hm
>
> Can't see how allowing motorcycles to use cycle lanes could contribute
> to the rise.

Everyone in London drives/rides/cycles/pedestrians like a fuckwit.

Public transport is safer - unless terrorists blow your bus up.

Last time I rode in London, some fuckwit just wombled nonchalantly off the
pavement straight in front of me.

Speedgazebo MOTP #1

Mar 2, 2016, 1:14:46 PM3/2/16
I did wonder the same thing.

--
Speedgazebo

cat

Mar 2, 2016, 2:12:56 PM3/2/16
On 02/03/16 15:47, The Older Gentleman wrote:
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-35706703
>
> Hm
>
> Can't see how allowing motorcycles to use cycle lanes could contribute
> to the rise.

it's all peds in the photo..

Thomas

Mar 2, 2016, 2:14:23 PM3/2/16
On Wed, 02 Mar 2016 07:47:38 -0800, The Older Gentleman
<totallyde...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-35706703
>
> Hm

Some context would be helpful. The population, number of motorcyclists,
number of car drivers, number of car driver deaths, etc.

Mike Fleming

Mar 2, 2016, 5:36:04 PM3/2/16
In article <1mjhqi1.wv8zkjxcbkwmN%totallyde...@yahoo.co.uk>,
totallyde...@yahoo.co.uk (The Older Gentleman) writes:

> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-35706703
>
> Hm
>
> Can't see how allowing motorcycles to use cycle lanes could contribute
> to the rise.

Is there a sugggestion anywhere in the article that it might? I can't
see one.

--
Mike (DF) Fleming DoD #4446 OT #3 UKMC #9 GAGARPHOF #6 JKLO #004
JHLO #1 KotWP7 SST #69 BOF #024 BFG ITG#3

The Older Gentleman

Mar 3, 2016, 2:58:23 AM3/3/16
Mike Fleming <{mike}@tauzero.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <1mjhqi1.wv8zkjxcbkwmN%totallyde...@yahoo.co.uk>,
> totallyde...@yahoo.co.uk (The Older Gentleman) writes:
>
> > http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-35706703
> >
> > Hm
> >
> > Can't see how allowing motorcycles to use cycle lanes could contribute
> > to the rise.
>
> Is there a sugggestion anywhere in the article that it might? I can't
> see one.

Temnuous but there:-

"The report found the inconsistency over access to bus lanes causes
"unnecessary confusion" as TfL allows motorcyclists to ride in bus lanes
on the roads it manages, while many boroughs do not.

It also asked TfL to monitor the impact of dedicated Cycle Superhighways
on the road space shared by other traffic."

ogden

Mar 3, 2016, 5:28:01 AM3/3/16
The Older Gentleman wrote:

> Mike Fleming <{mike}@tauzero.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > In article <1mjhqi1.wv8zkjxcbkwmN%totallyde...@yahoo.co.uk>,
> > totallyde...@yahoo.co.uk (The Older Gentleman) writes:
> >
> > > http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-35706703
> > >
> > > Hm
> > >
> > > Can't see how allowing motorcycles to use cycle lanes could contribute
> > > to the rise.
> >
> > Is there a sugggestion anywhere in the article that it might? I can't
> > see one.
>
> Temnuous but there:-
>
> "The report found the inconsistency over access to bus lanes causes
> "unnecessary confusion" as TfL allows motorcyclists to ride in bus lanes
> on the roads it manages, while many boroughs do not.

That's bus lanes, not cycle lanes. It's daft that councils haven't been
compelled to open up their bus lanes as well. Fortunately the vast
majority of my commute is on red routes.

> It also asked TfL to monitor the impact of dedicated Cycle Superhighways
> on the road space shared by other traffic."

That's not about letting bikes in cycle lanes either. It's about space
being reserved specifically for cycles, with the width of lanes for
other traffic being reduced as a result.

A prime example is the route from Wandsworth to Vauxhall via Nine Elms.
Before they brought in the cycle superhighways, most of it had two lanes
wide enough for a bike to squeeze through the middle. Then they added
cycle lanes with a solid edge, which squeezed the other lanes together.
The gap down the middle was effectively moved to the edge and reserved
solely for cycles. That meant either desperate lunges for smaller gaps,
or filtering (where possible) down the outside, against oncoming
traffic. It doesn't take a genius to figure out where that's going to
end up, and the report reflects that.

Fortunately they then opened up the bus lanes, so I started using the A3
instead. The Nine Elms route is still pretty much unusable.

--
ogden

Hog

Mar 3, 2016, 7:00:42 AM3/3/16
They don't when they see a big blue van coming towards them.

Hog

Mar 3, 2016, 7:08:20 AM3/3/16
Hmm yup.
A bit of this has happened on the way out of Dublin, so I just use that
short stretch of cycle path. Fuckem.

They are constructing stretches of Cycle Superhighway in Leeds FFS, for the
dozen or so people that will use them through the winter.
http://leedscyclingcampaign.co.uk/vision
Some people would be best used as winter fuel

Eiron

Mar 3, 2016, 7:41:52 AM3/3/16
On 03/03/2016 11:54, Hog wrote:
> Ian Field wrote:

>> Everyone in London drives/rides/cycles/pedestrians like a fuckwit.
>>
>> Public transport is safer - unless terrorists blow your bus up.
>>
>> Last time I rode in London, some fuckwit just wombled nonchalantly
>> off the pavement straight in front of me.
>
> They don't when they see a big blue van coming towards them.

London rules.
It's illegal to look to left or right or walk fast when crossing a road.
As a driver or rider, you get used to it.

--
Eiron.

cat

Mar 3, 2016, 8:10:04 AM3/3/16
On 03/03/16 12:41, Eiron wrote:

> London rules.
> It's illegal to look to left or right or walk fast when crossing a road.
> As a driver or rider, you get used to it.

It's certainly how I got used to rolling stoppies.
A clear buslane and stationary car lanes is an invitation to pedestrians
to wander around aimlessly fearing nothing :/

ogden

Mar 3, 2016, 9:04:10 AM3/3/16
They've removed entire lanes from some major roads in London to create
new segregated cycle routes now.

--
ogden

Thomas

Mar 3, 2016, 9:27:42 AM3/3/16
On Thu, 03 Mar 2016 06:04:05 -0800, ogden <og...@pre.org> wrote:

> They've removed entire lanes from some major roads in London to create
> new segregated cycle routes now.

Same here. They seem to have forgotten why the motor vehicle was invented.

Hog

Mar 3, 2016, 10:04:29 AM3/3/16
ogden wrote:
> Hog wrote:
>>

>>> Fortunately they then opened up the bus lanes, so I started using
>>> the A3 instead. The Nine Elms route is still pretty much unusable.
>>
>> Hmm yup.
>> A bit of this has happened on the way out of Dublin, so I just use
>> that short stretch of cycle path. Fuckem.
>>
>> They are constructing stretches of Cycle Superhighway in Leeds FFS,
>> for the dozen or so people that will use them through the winter.
>> http://leedscyclingcampaign.co.uk/vision
>> Some people would be best used as winter fuel
>
> They've removed entire lanes from some major roads in London to create
> new segregated cycle routes now.

Hmm I *may* have inadvertently used one or more London cycle paths on a
motorbike as the only way to get around traffic. Notably, there were no
cycles. I expect you wouldn't want to do it with a UK and traceable plate
TBF.

Hog

Mar 3, 2016, 10:08:24 AM3/3/16
<cough>
<touches nose>
there may be at least two English pedestrians that have regretted their
transgressions in the past two years

In Dublin it's the unlit cyclists shooting red lights at night. FFS you
wouldn't waste time to go back and pick up such and out and out criminal

ogden

Mar 3, 2016, 10:51:54 AM3/3/16
Hog wrote:

> ogden wrote:
> > They've removed entire lanes from some major roads in London to
create
> > new segregated cycle routes now.
>
> Hmm I *may* have inadvertently used one or more London cycle paths on a
> motorbike as the only way to get around traffic. Notably, there were no
> cycles. I expect you wouldn't want to do it with a UK and traceable plate
> TBF.

I was nicked for contravening a cycle lane on my gixer thou, the day I
bought it.

Needs must.

--
ogden

Ian Field

Mar 3, 2016, 1:05:40 PM3/3/16

"Hog" <sm91...@CHIPShotmail.co.uk> wrote in message
ITYMF: Some of them do.

On a brighter note - to some extent its self limiting (some of them only do
it once).

Ian Field

Mar 3, 2016, 1:08:49 PM3/3/16

"cat" <w...@where.com> wrote in message news:nb9ctk$sa0$1...@dont-email.me...
Its the prices in London - makes everyone suicidal.

Mike Fleming

Mar 3, 2016, 1:28:54 PM3/3/16
In article <1mjiywz.1gbwhe5112tzqqN%totallyde...@yahoo.co.uk>,
totallyde...@yahoo.co.uk (The Older Gentleman) writes:

> Mike Fleming <{mike}@tauzero.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > In article <1mjhqi1.wv8zkjxcbkwmN%totallyde...@yahoo.co.uk>,
> > totallyde...@yahoo.co.uk (The Older Gentleman) writes:
> >
> > > http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-35706703
> > >
> > > Hm
> > >
> > > Can't see how allowing motorcycles to use cycle lanes could contribute
> > > to the rise.
> >
> > Is there a sugggestion anywhere in the article that it might? I can't
> > see one.
>
> Temnuous but there:-
>
> "The report found the inconsistency over access to bus lanes causes
> "unnecessary confusion" as TfL allows motorcyclists to ride in bus lanes
> on the roads it manages, while many boroughs do not.
>
> It also asked TfL to monitor the impact of dedicated Cycle Superhighways
> on the road space shared by other traffic."

Isn't that a suggestion that inconsistent provision of bus lane use,
rather than cycle lanes, could be a contributory factor?

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/red-routes/rules-of-red-routes/bus-lanes/motorcycles-in-bus-lanes

seems quite positive about access to bus lanes and safety. And I
assume motorcyclists don't have access to the Cycle Superhighways.

I can sort of see the logic, that drivers might not be expecting
something with a significantly smaller frontal area than a bus to be
in a bus lane, but presumably they're not actually blind and should be
capable of responding to such visual stimuli.

ogden

Mar 3, 2016, 2:17:57 PM3/3/16
Mike Fleming <{mike}@tauzero.co.uk> wrote:
> assume motorcyclists don't have access to the Cycle Superhighways.

It depends. Some of them are combined with bus lanes, others are
fully segregated. There'll be a gradual migration from the former to
the latter. A lot of roadworks going on at the moment, and, much to
my surprise, neither Oval nor Elephant & Castle are nearly as bad as
I feared they'd be. Not now the bulk of the work is done, anyway.

Frankly, if it gets the suicidal cunts out of my way, I'm all for
whatever it takes to give cyclists their own roads.

--
ogden

Salad Dodger

Mar 3, 2016, 3:04:52 PM3/3/16
On Thu, 3 Mar 2016 10:27:55 -0000, ogden <og...@pre.org> wrote:

>The Older Gentleman wrote:

>> It also asked TfL to monitor the impact of dedicated Cycle Superhighways
>> on the road space shared by other traffic."
>
>That's not about letting bikes in cycle lanes either. It's about space
>being reserved specifically for cycles, with the width of lanes for
>other traffic being reduced as a result.
>
>A prime example is the route from Wandsworth to Vauxhall via Nine Elms.

The shambles that was Upper/Lower Thames St is also a good example.
--
Salad Dodger
1690 FLHTK; CB1300SA8

ogden

Mar 3, 2016, 3:27:07 PM3/3/16
Salad Dodger wrote:

> On Thu, 3 Mar 2016 10:27:55 -0000, ogden <og...@pre.org> wrote:
>
> >The Older Gentleman wrote:
>

> >> It also asked TfL to monitor the impact of dedicated Cycle Superhighways
> >> on the road space shared by other traffic."
> >
> >That's not about letting bikes in cycle lanes either. It's about space
> >being reserved specifically for cycles, with the width of lanes for
> >other traffic being reduced as a result.
> >
> >A prime example is the route from Wandsworth to Vauxhall via Nine Elms.
>
> The shambles that was Upper/Lower Thames St is also a good example.

That's the one I was thinking of when I mentioned lanes being completely
removed.

--
ogden

cat

Mar 3, 2016, 3:41:57 PM3/3/16
fair point, how must it feel to be dependent on walking for transport!

Ian Field

Mar 3, 2016, 3:58:18 PM3/3/16

"cat" <w...@where.com> wrote in message news:nba7ct$474$1...@dont-email.me...
I used to walk to the pub and back - sometimes one in the next town.

cat

Mar 3, 2016, 4:01:19 PM3/3/16
On 03/03/16 20:58, Ian Field wrote:

>>> Its the prices in London - makes everyone suicidal.
>>
>> fair point, how must it feel to be dependent on walking for transport!
>
> I used to walk to the pub and back - sometimes one in the next town.

I generally walk to work and back and feel worryingly more healthy for
doing so :/

The Older Gentleman

Mar 3, 2016, 4:38:10 PM3/3/16
ogden <og...@pre.org> wrote:

> They've removed entire lanes from some major roads in London to create
> new segregated cycle routes now.

Yes, especially around the Elephant & Castle and the approaches to
Blackfriars Bridge.

The traffic lights now have a second set, mounted just in front of the
'regular' lights, which go green about five seconds before the 'car'
lights go green, to let the suicyclists get away first.

That's a really *sensible* thing to do. Except the silly cunts go
through all red lights regardless.

Salad Dodger

Mar 3, 2016, 4:55:16 PM3/3/16
I have the joy of walking along it every evening to Tower Gateway.
It's a close run thing between the traffic and me for the journey from
monument to Tower Hill.

ogden

Mar 4, 2016, 5:18:45 AM3/4/16
UKRM's Man Back in Israel wrote:

> ogden <og...@pre.org> wrote:
>
> > Frankly, if it gets the suicidal cunts out of my way
>
> <http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/battersea-crash-motorcyclist-dies-in-battersea-park-road-accident-a3193126.html>

That's the Nine Elms route I was referring to. It's a lot more dangerous
for motorcycles than it was before they brought in the cycle lanes,
hence why I avoid it.

--
ogden

Pipl

Mar 4, 2016, 1:16:22 PM3/4/16
Whan a man is tired of London...

--

-Pip

Pipl

Mar 4, 2016, 1:17:24 PM3/4/16
On Wed, 02 Mar 2016 11:14:18 -0800, Thomas <xs...@xmail.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 02 Mar 2016 07:47:38 -0800, The Older Gentleman
><totallyde...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-35706703
>>
>> Hm
>
>Some context would be helpful. The population, number of motorcyclists,
>number of car drivers, number of car driver deaths, etc.

Sorry? You want context in a news report? How quaint.

--

-Pip

Boots

Mar 4, 2016, 3:58:15 PM3/4/16
On Thu, 3 Mar 2016 14:57:54 -0000 in uk.rec.motorcycles, Hog says:

>> They've removed entire lanes from some major roads in London to create
>> new segregated cycle routes now.
>
>Hmm I *may* have inadvertently used one or more London cycle paths on a
>motorbike as the only way to get around traffic. Notably, there were no
>cycles. I expect you wouldn't want to do it with a UK and traceable plate
>TBF.

Probably not, one of my colleagues over the course of a weekend managed
four bus lane contraventions which he only found about when he got his
post.

--
Ian
"Information is not knowledge" - Albert Einstein

Eiron

Mar 4, 2016, 4:04:02 PM3/4/16
At least he now knows the difference between a Boris bus lane
and a local council one, and has four photos of the back of his bike.

--
Eiron.

Boots

Mar 4, 2016, 4:15:06 PM3/4/16
there is that. It's his fault he's from Barcelona[1]

[1] Actually somewhere rural Spain but that doesn't fit the line.

--
Ian
"I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong" - Bertrand Russell

zymur...@googlemail.com

Mar 8, 2016, 12:06:46 PM3/8/16
On Wednesday, March 2, 2016 at 3:47:41 PM UTC, TOG@Toil wrote:
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-35706703
>
> Hm
>
> Can't see how allowing motorcycles to use cycle lanes could contribute
> to the rise.

2 of my crashes were in London whilst commuting, so I can confirm it's a jolly dangerous place to ride in (!)

Paul.

ts

Mar 8, 2016, 2:54:49 PM3/8/16
<zymur...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> 2 of my crashes were in London whilst commuting,
> so I can confirm it's a jolly dangerous place to ride in (!)

Not trying to be a smart-ass claiming London is safe for two-wheeled
transport, but there is a statistical diference between e.g. "2", "All"
and "Most". :-)

--
ts // scrap vehicle to send e-mail
75/5, 80/7, K-RS 6v

Ian Field

Mar 8, 2016, 4:49:50 PM3/8/16

"ts" <exbn...@deaVOLVO.spamcon.org> wrote in message
> <zymur...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> 2 of my crashes were in London whilst commuting,
>> so I can confirm it's a jolly dangerous place to ride in (!)
>
> Not trying to be a smart-ass claiming London is safe for two-wheeled
> transport, but there is a statistical diference between e.g. "2", "All"
> and "Most". :-)

Never had a prang in London, but came close to having to push the bike home
(or abandon it) a couple of times.