Paging those that know Givi...

Gyp

Nov 14, 2016, 5:07:23 AM11/14/16
Am I right in thinking that the only difference between the V35
and V35 Tech is the colour of the rear reflectors (red vs
clear)?
Gyp

wessie

Nov 14, 2016, 1:46:20 PM11/14/16
Gyp <a@b.c> wrote in news:o0c2bq$7b1$1...@dont-email.me:

> Am I right in thinking that the only difference between the V35
> and V35 Tech is the colour of the rear reflectors (red vs
> clear)?

think so

just fitted the SW Motech standard monokey hardware to my RS to go with the
Givi topbox plate

I can select from Kappa K40 & Givi E21 side cases and E35, E45 or K40 as
topbox.

Pictures here
http://r1200rsforums.com/threads/givi-kappa-monokey-luggage-systems.2925/

K40s are a bit wide so I'll probably use the E21 with E45 topbox for my
longer trips away.

over 1000 miles already - think it's a keeper now I have fitted the MV peg
lowering kit. Might raise the bars as well. Satnav location is shit. Got
hold of a used Zumo 660 but may revert back to my superior 390 with a RAM
ball on the left instrument cluster

wessie

Nov 14, 2016, 2:07:00 PM11/14/16
wessie <putmyn...@tesco.net> wrote in
did you just buy the set over on UKGSer?

Gyp

Nov 16, 2016, 2:46:54 AM11/16/16
On 14/11/2016 19:06, wessie wrote:

>> think so

Ta

> did you just buy the set over on UKGSer?

I did.

Despite having a pair of E360s, two pairs of Krausers for the R65 and a
set of BMW cases for the R80 I caved and bought the second hand Givis
and frames for the R12.

I may have been in Valencia and slightly pissed at the time.

--
Gyp

Gyp

Nov 16, 2016, 3:04:50 AM11/16/16
On 14/11/2016 18:45, wessie wrote:

> just fitted the SW Motech standard monokey hardware to my RS to go with the
> Givi topbox plate

The top plate is good and solid, but doesn't integrate with the
high-level brake light unfortunately

> over 1000 miles already - think it's a keeper now I have fitted the MV peg
> lowering kit. Might raise the bars as well. Satnav location is shit. Got
> hold of a used Zumo 660 but may revert back to my superior 390 with a RAM
> ball on the left instrument cluster

The bar positioning os one of the reasons that I'm happier with the R
than I think I would be with the RS

The Nav positioning is indeed dreadful and rules out a tank bag :-(

--
Gyp

wessie

Nov 16, 2016, 1:04:55 PM11/16/16
Gyp <a@b.c> wrote in news:o0h3tv$d5e$1...@dont-email.me:

> On 14/11/2016 18:45, wessie wrote:
>
>> just fitted the SW Motech standard monokey hardware to my RS to go
>> with the Givi topbox plate
>
> The top plate is good and solid, but doesn't integrate with the
> high-level brake light unfortunately
>
>> over 1000 miles already - think it's a keeper now I have fitted the
>> MV peg lowering kit. Might raise the bars as well. Satnav location is
>> shit. Got hold of a used Zumo 660 but may revert back to my superior
>> 390 with a RAM ball on the left instrument cluster
>>

> The bar positioning os one of the reasons that I'm happier with the R
> than I think I would be with the RS

I prefer the looks of the RS and was surprised my knees did not
complain. It's my right hip that wants me to sit more upright, although
it may have been the armour in one pair of trousers as now I switched to
the winter Rukka ones, there is little complaint. Perhaps the light
exercises I have done once or twice have helped too.

> The Nav positioning is indeed dreadful and rules out a tank bag :-(

I have a Kappa tanklock one - a good system and has convinced me that
Bagster stuff is very expensive. Some bloke in Scotland makes some
brackets to raise the sat nav gubbins but it is still in a silly
location - I like it to be inbetween left mirror and the instrument
cluster so you can give it a glance as your eyes sweep from mirror to
speedo, fuel gauge etc.

I found the standard RAM mount that came with my Zumo 390 nicely
replaces the clamp for the left switchgear. I had already run a wire
from the switched fuse under the seat (there are 2 real fuses, one
switched, one always live so used a piggy back thing and sealed it in
self amalgamating tape) to a 12V fag socket zip tied under the satnav
mount. This was originally for a phone charger but can be used for the
satnav as well. Both have batteries so I can just alternate the use if
needed.

So, there may be a Zumo 660 for sale soon.

Gyp

Nov 16, 2016, 2:57:20 PM11/16/16
On 16/11/2016 18:04, wessie wrote:

> I found the standard RAM mount that came with my Zumo 390 nicely
> replaces the clamp for the left switchgear.

BTW, have you found/are you aware of a budget garmin ball to RAM ball
adapter? I want to attach a 390 car holder to a RAM mount.

The "official" RAM solution is 2 RAM mounts bolted together which seems
a little clumsy

--
Gyp

wessie

Nov 16, 2016, 3:22:20 PM11/16/16
Gyp <a@b.c> wrote in news:o0idlv$4lb$1...@dont-email.me:
No.

Only use the 1" RAM balls - standard U bolt that came with the 2610 on the
Tracer and the Zumo 390 mount on the RS. 390 has a 12V plug on the end of
the lead so I can just swap the bike cradle across bikes, tucking the lead
& 5V power converter inside the fairing using Velcro to hold it in place.

My car came with it's own satnav. so I have 5 systems now if you count the
unloved 2610 & Android phone...

Thomas

Nov 16, 2016, 3:28:38 PM11/16/16
On Mon, 14 Nov 2016 10:45:48 -0800, wessie <putmyn...@tesco.net> wrote:

> Got
> hold of a used Zumo 660 but may revert back to my superior 390 with a RAM
> ball on the left instrument cluster

Why is the 390 superior? Does it use the same mount as a 660? (I think my
660 was damaged by a wet connection a few year ago. Garmin reworked it
under warranty, but it didn't fix the problem. Otherwise, I think it's a
decent machine.)

wessie

Nov 16, 2016, 3:29:12 PM11/16/16

ogden

Nov 16, 2016, 3:33:24 PM11/16/16
Thomas wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Nov 2016 10:45:48 -0800, wessie <putmyn...@tesco.net> wrote:
>

> > Got
> > hold of a used Zumo 660 but may revert back to my superior 390 with a RAM
> > ball on the left instrument cluster
>
> Why is the 390 superior? Does it use the same mount as a 660?

Completely different shape.

--
ogden

wessie

Nov 16, 2016, 3:46:38 PM11/16/16
Thomas <xs...@xmail.com> wrote in
no, power pins are dfferent

660 is more cumbersome to connect to a PC - you need to remove the battery

390 acquires satellites much more quickly (390 was ready to go in less than
a minute, still waiting for the 660 some 5 minutes later and it has timed
out, yes I am indoors but...)

390 lets me customise the icons on the screen

I have had the 390 a year so I'm used to it

new bike comes with a satnav cradle for the BMW Nav V which is based on the
660, so it has the advantage of a dedicated & lockable mount on the bike,
but as said to Gyp, they have located it in a silly position.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/40725208/R1200RS/13%20Nov/2016-11-13%2010.16.23.jpg

wessie

Nov 16, 2016, 3:48:03 PM11/16/16

Gyp

Nov 16, 2016, 4:29:36 PM11/16/16
On 16/11/2016 20:47, wessie wrote:

>>> My car came with it's own satnav. so I have 5 systems now if you
>>> count the unloved 2610 & Android phone...

Checks...

2610
2620
i3
Nuvi 1490TV
Etrex Lgend
BMW Navigator v
Plus the one in the car plus the one on the phone...

>> but google knows http://www.rammount.com/part/RAP-SBA-RGU
>
> search RAP-SBA-RGU and you get UK sources inc. Amazon
> https://www.amazon.co.uk/RAM-MOUNT-RAP-SBA-RG-Buddy-Garmin-Adaptor/dp/B009NRPBE6

Reviews suggest that the RAM end is not a standard RAM 1" ball

This is the Garmin alternative:-

https://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-1-inch-ball-to-garmin-g-ball-adapter.html

Hmmm... seems like at the moment I don't actually need one. The plan was
to mount the Nav V in the car but it seems that the garmin mount that I
bought doesn't fit. I misunderstood a posting on UKGSER that suggested
that the Nav V would work in a 590 mount, but unfortunately not; I
either need to get the full BMW mount (with integral speaker) or use the
660 mount (and do without the speaker)

--
Gyp

wessie

Nov 16, 2016, 5:21:36 PM11/16/16
Gyp <a@b.c> wrote in news:o0ij2u$pdm$1...@dont-email.me:

> Hmmm... seems like at the moment I don't actually need one. The plan
> was to mount the Nav V in the car but it seems that the garmin mount
> that I bought doesn't fit. I misunderstood a posting on UKGSER that
> suggested that the Nav V would work in a 590 mount, but unfortunately
> not; I either need to get the full BMW mount (with integral speaker)
> or use the 660 mount (and do without the speaker)

does the car have bluetooth? If so, can you pair the Nav5 [1] to the car
audio system?

[1] I'm guessing this came with the bike and you did not pay over £500 for
a 660 minus a speaker? Nick at Cotswold though he was doing me a favour
when he offered me one for £510 and a set of panniers for about £700.

Mike Fleming

Nov 16, 2016, 6:07:51 PM11/16/16
In article <o0idlv$4lb$1...@dont-email.me>, Gyp <a@b.c> writes:

> On 16/11/2016 18:04, wessie wrote:
>
> > I found the standard RAM mount that came with my Zumo 390 nicely
> > replaces the clamp for the left switchgear.
>
> BTW, have you found/are you aware of a budget garmin ball to RAM ball
> adapter? I want to attach a 390 car holder to a RAM mount.

Sort of like this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RAM-to-Garmin-Short-Double-Lil-Buddy-Snap-link-Ball-Adapter-Arm-RAM-RAP-SBA-RGU-/112021905511

--
Mike Fleming
Coitum volantum non dono

Gyp

Nov 16, 2016, 6:11:22 PM11/16/16
It would be like that it the big ball was 1", not 3/4".

--
Gyp

Champ

Nov 16, 2016, 6:14:26 PM11/16/16
On Wed, 16 Nov 2016 21:29:39 +0000, Gyp <a@b.c> wrote:

>Checks...
>
>2610
>2620
>i3
>Nuvi 1490TV
>Etrex Lgend
>BMW Navigator v
>Plus the one in the car plus the one on the phone...

FFS!

My car has one on the dash. My phone can do it. And that's it.

Gyp

Nov 16, 2016, 6:15:04 PM11/16/16
On 16/11/2016 22:21, wessie wrote:

> does the car have bluetooth? If so, can you pair the Nav5 [1] to the car
> audio system?

It does

I'll need to check if the nav voice only interrupts the streaming
bluetooth approaching a turn or all the time

> [1] I'm guessing this came with the bike and you did not pay over £500 for
> a 660 minus a speaker? Nick at Cotswold though he was doing me a favour
> when he offered me one for £510 and a set of panniers for about £700.

No, I didn't. I can't recall exactly but I paid a lot less than that for
a new boxed one that had been bundled with someone else's BMW but they
didn't want it.

And the £700+ for panniers is why I've bought the V35 Givis

--
Gyp

Gyp

Nov 16, 2016, 6:18:58 PM11/16/16
On 16/11/2016 23:14, Champ wrote:

>> 2610
>> 2620
>> i3
>> Nuvi 1490TV
>> Etrex Lgend
>> BMW Navigator v
>> Plus the one in the car plus the one on the phone...
>
> FFS!
>
> My car has one on the dash. My phone can do it. And that's it.

True, but 5 of those were bought before cars and phones did do them and
I've not got round to binning them yet.

The only ones that get used are the Nav 5 on the bike, car one in the
car, phone one on foot and the 1490 when I want an in car one in a car
that isn't mine [1]

[1] and the driver is happy for me to get the charging cable from the boot
--
Gyp

Thomas

Nov 16, 2016, 8:15:11 PM11/16/16
On Wed, 16 Nov 2016 12:46:05 -0800, wessie <putmyn...@tesco.net> wrote:

> Thomas <xs...@xmail.com> wrote in
>
>> On Mon, 14 Nov 2016 10:45:48 -0800, wessie <putmyn...@tesco.net>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> Got
>>> hold of a used Zumo 660 but may revert back to my superior 390 with a
>>> RAM ball on the left instrument cluster
>>
>> Why is the 390 superior? Does it use the same mount as a 660?
>
> no, power pins are dfferent
>
> 660 is more cumbersome to connect to a PC - you need to remove the
> battery
>
> 390 acquires satellites much more quickly
>
> 390 lets me customise the icons on the screen

Ta. Might have to upgrade. Eventually.

Champ

Nov 17, 2016, 4:11:47 AM11/17/16
On Wed, 16 Nov 2016 23:19:02 +0000, Gyp <a@b.c> wrote:

>The only ones that get used are the Nav 5 on the bike, car one in the
>car, phone one on foot and the 1490 when I want an in car one in a car
>that isn't mine [1]

>[1] and the driver is happy for me to get the charging cable from the boot

That one was so old it was baroque. If not gothic. And it was shit.
I'd have been better with a map

Mike Fleming

Nov 17, 2016, 4:29:41 AM11/17/16
In article <41qp2clvigo4j05hb...@4ax.com>, Champ
Now, if you'd had one on the ZX-10R, it could have guided you round
the IoM and you wouldn't have got it back as ZX-10Ra and ZX-10Rb.

Phone and Garmin 2595LM for me, plus mountings to put the Garmin on
the bikes. I'm sure there's a point to paying £400 for a Zumo rather
than £25 for a second-hand unZumo, but I don't really make enough use
of it to justify that.

wessie

Nov 17, 2016, 6:14:05 AM11/17/16
Thomas <xs...@xmail.com> wrote in
the 3xx series has been superceded - I bought the 390 when it was
heavily discounted - seem to be some left in the UK. The new ones are
5xx now. Look similar to the 390 but screen is a little bigger and it
has a load of useless bells & whistles such as Spotify and smartphone
integration. Apparently the 390's curvy roads feature which is a bit
wank is now better and called Adventurous roads. I doubt you would use
that anyway as you are more like me, look at a map (paper or google maps
in my case) and plot a route in the satnav or in Basecamp/Mapsource so
the Zumo tells you the turns.

That's what I did with that route we took with Johan to get to La
Bourboule which seemed to put a smile on your face.

Thomas

Nov 17, 2016, 10:52:30 AM11/17/16
On Thu, 17 Nov 2016 03:13:31 -0800, wessie <putmyn...@tesco.net> wrote:

> Apparently the 390's curvy roads feature which is a bit
> wank is now better and called Adventurous roads. I doubt you would use
> that anyway as you are more like me, look at a map (paper or google maps
> in my case) and plot a route in the satnav or in Basecamp/Mapsource so
> the Zumo tells you the turns.

Actually, I almost never plot routes beforehand. When I'm on the road, I
find squiggly lines on the map and put in a way point somewhere along that
road. When I reach that point, or just before, I add another way point. I
kept finding that if I chose a way point too far out, the Garmin would
choose a route I didn't want, and if I chose a particular route
beforehand, I'd invariably change my mind.

Salad Dodger

Nov 17, 2016, 1:00:13 PM11/17/16
On Thursday, 17 November 2016 11:14:05 UTC, wessie wrote:
> doubt you would use
> that anyway as you are more like me, look at a map (paper or google maps
> in my case) and plot a route in the satnav or in Basecamp/Mapsource so
> the Zumo tells you the turns.

Additional info: 595 and Mapsource WILL NOT talk to each other.
BaseCamp or nothing.
I do all my planning in Mapsource, then open it in BC and upload.
Because I'm a dinosaur.

Initial impressions of the 595 are very positive. Fast update, hundreds of waypoints stored as favourites (useful for RBR catch-up mode).

Needs tinkering, but I'm getting there.

Being asked if I've topped off the tank EVERY TIME I stop is a little wearing, so I might turn off the fuel checker thing.

Took some fiddling before I could unclutter the screen of all the icons for every single restaurant, petrol station, bank, leisure facility, hotel, etc. in the area in view. Much easier to see where I'm going now.

Lane assist and pictures of junctions very clear.

I like it.

Mike Fleming

Nov 17, 2016, 1:32:21 PM11/17/16
In article <XnsA6C37247D...@213.239.209.88>, wessie
<putmyn...@tesco.net> writes:

> Apparently the 390's curvy roads feature which is a bit
> wank is now better and called Adventurous roads. I doubt you would use
> that anyway as you are more like me, look at a map (paper or google maps
> in my case) and plot a route in the satnav or in Basecamp/Mapsource so
> the Zumo tells you the turns.
>
> That's what I did with that route we took with Johan to get to La
> Bourboule which seemed to put a smile on your face.

I tried doing that with my Nuvi 2595. It decided to ignore me and plot
its own route. I shall have to do further experiments, the problem may
lie with the idiot trying to program it. It did lead to an outburst in
a carp ark in Ashbourne, where I verbally vented my feelings on the
thing, rather like a post-watershed John Cleese (except younger,
shorter, balder, and poorer).

Champ

Nov 17, 2016, 5:39:18 PM11/17/16
On Thu, 17 Nov 2016 09:29:21 +0000, Mike Fleming
<{mike}@tauzero.co.uk> wrote:

>Phone and Garmin 2595LM for me, plus mountings to put the Garmin on
>the bikes.

I've never used a satnav on a motorcycle.

wessie

Nov 17, 2016, 7:02:33 PM11/17/16
Champ <ne...@champ.org.uk> wrote in news:5ccs2chlv95kpsnk858erq7hqg11luitd6@
4ax.com:
I was a Luddite and late adopter, now a convert.

Very handy when organising trips with others, which I seem to do multiple
times a year. 2 across the Channel, 1 in Wales and 1 in Yorkshire this
year. You can share routes & waypoints and people can ride at their own
speed but meet up for lunch or find hotels easily.

I used to use a map and write a list to stick in the tankbag. The satnav
does much the same thing but in a GUI that can adapt on the fly if you
change your mind, need to avoid roadworks or find lots of traffic. I like
the "miles left" or ETA countdown as this gives an idea of the pace you
need to maintain to get to the bar at beer o'clock.

They also cause comedy moments, especially when at a traffic light where
Dodger's Harley unit is arguing with his Garmin about the best way to
proceed.

Thomas

Nov 17, 2016, 8:26:37 PM11/17/16
For a while this summer, I was stuck using a 1:800,000 map of Italy
because I couldn't find anything better. I searched petrol stations,
bookshops, gift shops, tobacconists, you name it, no maps. Without a
satnav, I would have been toast. Meaning, stuck on a bunch of boring
straight roads.

Champ

Nov 18, 2016, 5:03:33 AM11/18/16
Sure. Sometimes, if lost, I stop and look at my phone.

I just can't be arsed with getting a waterproof, bike-orientated
satnav, and mounts for my two road bikes.

ogden

Nov 18, 2016, 5:58:40 AM11/18/16
You've followed enough people who are using satnavs on motorcycles
though.

--
ogden

CT

Nov 18, 2016, 6:13:15 AM11/18/16
ogden wrote:

> Champ wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 17 Nov 2016 09:29:21 +0000, Mike Fleming
> > <{mike}@tauzero.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> > > Phone and Garmin 2595LM for me, plus mountings to put the Garmin
> > > on the bikes.
> >
> > I've never used a satnav on a motorcycle.

Me neither, although I have an unused Garmin 390LM that's been sat in
the cupboard since April.

> You've followed enough people who are using satnavs on motorcycles
> though.

It's the easiest option. Until one manages to lose track of the rider
with the satnav by going the wrong way down a French one-way street!

--
Chris

Brownz (via Gurgle Gruppez)

Nov 18, 2016, 6:27:08 AM11/18/16
That's why I like the Tom Tom Rider 2 I'm still using. Regular map updates. Cradle in the car, cradle on the bike, still think it's a bloomin marvelous bit of kit. But then again I've never used anything else. The only time it's ever thrown a wobbly was due to user input error and not being able to spell the name of a French town correctly.

Champ

Nov 18, 2016, 10:08:53 AM11/18/16
On Fri, 18 Nov 2016 03:27:07 -0800 (PST), "Brownz (via Gurgle
Gruppez)" <browni...@googlemail.com> wrote:

>> I just can't be arsed with getting a waterproof, bike-orientated
>> satnav, and mounts for my two road bikes.

>That's why I like the Tom Tom Rider 2 I'm still using. Regular map
>updates. Cradle in the car, cradle on the bike, still think it's a bloomin
>marvelous bit of kit. But then again I've never used anything else.

That reads like you've never used a map, which I'm sure isn't true.
And, more importantly, I don't want it to be true.

Champ

Nov 18, 2016, 10:09:35 AM11/18/16
On Fri, 18 Nov 2016 10:58:38 -0000, ogden <og...@pre.org> wrote:

>Champ wrote:

>> I've never used a satnav on a motorcycle.

>You've followed enough people who are using satnavs on motorcycles
>though.

Quite so.

"I have a man for that"

The Older Gentleman

Nov 18, 2016, 10:31:35 AM11/18/16
Nor I. Maps are just fun.

--
H2 R100RS Street Triple XT660 Tenere
R60/6 CB400F TS250x2 CD200 CG125 KH100EX

ogden

Nov 18, 2016, 11:37:41 AM11/18/16
The Older Gentleman wrote:

> Champ <ne...@champ.org.uk> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 17 Nov 2016 09:29:21 +0000, Mike Fleming
> > <{mike}@tauzero.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> > >Phone and Garmin 2595LM for me, plus mountings to put the Garmin on
> > >the bikes.
> >
> > I've never used a satnav on a motorcycle.
>
> Nor I. Maps are just fun.

I have maps for all the places I've used a satnav.

Sometimes I even take the maps with me.

--
ogden

Mike Fleming

Nov 18, 2016, 12:12:48 PM11/18/16
In article <mckt2chba7s5gb8ue...@4ax.com>, Champ
I can't be arsed with getting a waterproof bike-orientated satnav
either, that's why I got the 2595. If you have conventional
handlebars, or separate bars with a bit of tube showing, you can get a
thingie that clamps to the bars.

Mike Fleming

Nov 18, 2016, 12:14:18 PM11/18/16
In article <1mwx1qb.1sxqhh1ln1v5bN%totallyde...@yahoo.co.uk>,
totallyde...@yahoo.co.uk (The Older Gentleman) writes:

> Champ <ne...@champ.org.uk> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 17 Nov 2016 09:29:21 +0000, Mike Fleming
> > <{mike}@tauzero.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> > >Phone and Garmin 2595LM for me, plus mountings to put the Garmin on
> > >the bikes.
> >
> > I've never used a satnav on a motorcycle.
>
> Nor I. Maps are just fun.

Not when you're a courier from the Midlands trying to find your way
round That London.

Salad Dodger

Nov 18, 2016, 3:37:22 PM11/18/16
Exactly.
--
Salad Dodger
1690 FLHTK; CB1300SA8

Champ

Nov 18, 2016, 6:07:02 PM11/18/16
On Fri, 18 Nov 2016 17:14:17 +0000, Mike Fleming
<{mike}@tauzero.co.uk> wrote:

>> > I've never used a satnav on a motorcycle.
>>
>> Nor I. Maps are just fun.
>
>Not when you're a courier from the Midlands trying to find your way
>round That London.

Pshaw. I worked as a courier for a couple of short stints in the 80s,
when an A to Z was the only option. I soon picked it all up.

Thomas

Nov 18, 2016, 6:34:10 PM11/18/16
On Fri, 18 Nov 2016 07:31:32 -0800, The Older Gentleman
<totallyde...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Champ <ne...@champ.org.uk> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 17 Nov 2016 09:29:21 +0000, Mike Fleming
>> <{mike}@tauzero.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> >Phone and Garmin 2595LM for me, plus mountings to put the Garmin on
>> >the bikes.
>>
>> I've never used a satnav on a motorcycle.
>
> Nor I. Maps are just fun.

They're complementary. Maps don't tell you where the hotels are, nor are
they very good at street level navigation.

The Older Gentleman

Nov 18, 2016, 9:10:01 PM11/18/16
Nicholson's Streetfinder was the guide of choice for the *real* DRs :-p

The Older Gentleman

Nov 18, 2016, 9:10:01 PM11/18/16
But they're pretty. And you can spread them out on the floor.

Gyp

Nov 19, 2016, 3:13:04 AM11/19/16
On 19/11/2016 02:09, The Older Gentleman wrote:

> But they're pretty. And you can spread them out on the floor.

A good map is like a bad woman...

--
Gyp

Stephen Packer

Nov 20, 2016, 9:14:44 AM11/20/16
I find it invaluable for the longer, more complicated summer trips.

Also the database of campsites that's inbuilt (plus the ones that you can
import make it so much easier to just get up and go, ride until you're tired
and then find somewhere to pitch up and stop for the night.

I wouldn't be without one.

It does, however, pretty much stop you learning much and building a mental
map in the way that you used to. But that's something I'm willing to
sacrifice.

I suspect, eventually, they will disappear and there will be a neural link
to your phone/device which will allow you to think where you want
to go and then see/hear where you are going. Not sure how the interface
will be realised, I doubt implants in the short term but would expect some
sort of a skull cap maybe. Of course, it could possibly be realised with a
heads up display on the inside of the visor and some sort of camera that
tracks your pupil focus and allows blinks to be used for clicks. Within ten
years, fifteen tops. What a world we live in... if we don't fuck it up with bad
electoral/poll choices...

Champ

Nov 20, 2016, 9:51:33 AM11/20/16
On Sun, 20 Nov 2016 06:14:43 -0800 (PST), Stephen Packer
<stephen...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Thursday, 17 November 2016 22:39:18 UTC, Champ wrote:

>> I've never used a satnav on a motorcycle.
>
>I find it invaluable for the longer, more complicated summer trips.
>
>Also the database of campsites that's inbuilt (plus the ones that you can
>import make it so much easier to just get up and go, ride until you're tired
>and then find somewhere to pitch up and stop for the night.

I can absolutely see that. But I don't do any of that shit :-)

>I suspect, eventually, they will disappear and there will be a neural link
>to your phone/device which will allow you to think where you want
>to go and then see/hear where you are going. Not sure how the interface
>will be realised, I doubt implants in the short term but would expect some
>sort of a skull cap maybe. Of course, it could possibly be realised with a
>heads up display on the inside of the visor and some sort of camera that
>tracks your pupil focus and allows blinks to be used for clicks. Within ten
>years, fifteen tops. What a world we live in... if we don't fuck it up with bad
>electoral/poll choices...

I've thought of a new sig line/twitter handle :
Watching the future become dystopian

I'm really *very* depressed by it all.

Pete Fisher

Nov 20, 2016, 10:47:48 AM11/20/16
I think I might make mine:

A journey of a thousand miles may be undone by a few small steps.

A slightly mixed metaphor melange of Lao Tsu and Neil Armstrong quotes
seems appropriately incongruous for today's milieu.

It also works quite well as a warning against the unwary and inattentive
use of a satnav.

--
KTM 250 EXC - back to the Dark Side
Gilera GFR, Moto Morini 2C/375

"Do not adjust your mind, there is a fault in the reality"

AndyB

Nov 20, 2016, 11:23:57 AM11/20/16
I use the 'view map' facility on my Garmin to plan my route as I go along with an approximate final destination highlighted just to make sure I don't go too far in the wrong direction. If I want to head for a small town in a country I've never visited before it gives me an idea of where I need to go but gives me the flexibility to take small roads while still having an approximate arrival time.

Once I get close I use the directions and it's job done so I can't think of anything not to like about the system.

wessie

Nov 20, 2016, 12:11:29 PM11/20/16
Thomas <xs...@xmail.com> wrote in

> On Mon, 14 Nov 2016 10:45:48 -0800, wessie <putmyn...@tesco.net>
> wrote:
>

>> Got
>> hold of a used Zumo 660 but may revert back to my superior 390 with a
>> RAM ball on the left instrument cluster
>
> Why is the 390 superior? Does it use the same mount as a 660? (I think
> my 660 was damaged by a wet connection a few year ago. Garmin
> reworked it under warranty, but it didn't fix the problem. Otherwise,
> I think it's a decent machine.)

and here are a couple of pictures - one showing the silly position of the
sat nav cradle on the R1200RS and a close up of the 2 displays - colours
aren't showing too well but the 390 uses colours for the roads that is a
closer match (red for main roads, yellow & white for lower levels) to
Michelin maps. The 660 uses orange & cream which is not so nice IMV.

http://tinyurl.com/hyakaan
http://tinyurl.com/jm5nbte - both link to jpgs on dropbox

It seems that they use different map data - both are updated to the latest
versions of European maps but the 660 uses 2017.10 NT and the 390 is on
2017.20 NTU which may explain the visual difference. NTU is better.
I think I will stick with the 390 and maybe remove the BMW cradle.

and true to form for the 660, another one of it's foibles which is widely
reported on forums (especially the BMW Nav 4 or 5 customised versions),
when I powered down the bike, the 660 just locked up. The 390 simply
switched itself off. The only way I could get the 660 to work again was to
remove the battery.

Stephen Packer

Nov 20, 2016, 12:16:12 PM11/20/16
On Sunday, 20 November 2016 14:51:33 UTC, Champ wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Nov 2016 06:14:43 -0800 (PST), Stephen Packer

> >I suspect, eventually, they will disappear and there will be a neural link
> >to your phone/device which will allow you to think where you want
> >to go and then see/hear where you are going. Not sure how the interface
> >will be realised, I doubt implants in the short term but would expect some
> >sort of a skull cap maybe. Of course, it could possibly be realised with a
> >heads up display on the inside of the visor and some sort of camera that
> >tracks your pupil focus and allows blinks to be used for clicks. Within ten
> >years, fifteen tops. What a world we live in... if we don't fuck it up with bad
> >electoral/poll choices...
>
> I've thought of a new sig line/twitter handle :
> Watching the future become dystopian
>
> I'm really *very* depressed by it all.

Is that the electoral comment or the direct connection to/control of
equipment without a 'ui' as we have it today?

If the former, well I moan but remain optimistic (and try to do what I can;
anti article 50/anti Brexit demo. on Friday) if the latter, well I find it a bit
exciting.

YTC#1

Nov 20, 2016, 12:20:56 PM11/20/16
I have a similar approach, I choose up to 3 targets for the day. Check
ahead on accom or camping options (if possible or at all). It gives a
lot of flexibility, I can stop where I want and when I want. If I defo
need to be somewhere then I book ahead, get my head down and go.

I just don't use Garmin.

Gyp

Nov 20, 2016, 12:53:38 PM11/20/16
On 20/11/2016 17:10, wessie wrote:

> http://tinyurl.com/hyakaan
> http://tinyurl.com/jm5nbte - both link to jpgs on dropbox

Glad to see the R is less daft

http://tinyurl.com/jyshto5

--
Gyp

wessie

Nov 20, 2016, 1:11:28 PM11/20/16
Gyp <a@b.c> wrote in news:o0sntv$7ke$1...@dont-email.me:
still silly and obscured by a tankbag

Eddie

Nov 20, 2016, 2:30:50 PM11/20/16
On 20/11/2016 17:10, wessie wrote:

> and here are a couple of pictures - one showing the silly position of the
> sat nav cradle on the R1200RS and a close up of the 2 displays - colours
> aren't showing too well but the 390 uses colours for the roads that is a
> closer match (red for main roads, yellow & white for lower levels) to
> Michelin maps. The 660 uses orange & cream which is not so nice IMV.

I think you can change the map colour scheme, can't you?

--
Eddie ed...@deguello.org

Bruce Horrocks

Nov 20, 2016, 2:53:36 PM11/20/16
On 20/11/2016 15:47, Pete Fisher wrote:
>> I've thought of a new sig line/twitter handle :
>> Watching the future become dystopian
>>
>> I'm really *very* depressed by it all.
>>

> I think I might make mine:
>
> A journey of a thousand miles may be undone by a few small steps.

A journey of a thousand miles starts with a sponsorship begging letter
to BMW.

--
Bruce Horrocks
FJR1300AS

wessie

Nov 20, 2016, 3:07:07 PM11/20/16
Eddie <ed...@deguello.org> wrote in
I thought so but could not find the widget - options for 3D

maybe there is a theme to install via Garmin Express

<wanders off to find USB cable>

Champ

Nov 20, 2016, 6:16:46 PM11/20/16
On Sun, 20 Nov 2016 09:16:11 -0800 (PST), Stephen Packer
<stephen...@gmail.com> wrote:

>anti article 50/anti Brexit demo. on Friday

Where is this?

Stephen Packer

Nov 20, 2016, 7:09:47 PM11/20/16
Was. It was last Friday outside my local MPs office. Well, not actually, technically, my MP,
but Bath's.

ogden

Nov 21, 2016, 4:44:13 AM11/21/16
Nah, it starts with a letter to KTM. The one to BMW comes later.

--
ogden

Brownz (via Gurgle Gruppez)

Nov 22, 2016, 4:58:59 AM11/22/16
On Friday, November 18, 2016 at 3:08:53 PM UTC, Champ wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Nov 2016 03:27:07 -0800 (PST), "Brownz (via Gurgle
> Gruppez)" <browni...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> >> I just can't be arsed with getting a waterproof, bike-orientated
> >> satnav, and mounts for my two road bikes.
>
> >That's why I like the Tom Tom Rider 2 I'm still using. Regular map
> >updates. Cradle in the car, cradle on the bike, still think it's a bloomin
> >marvelous bit of kit. But then again I've never used anything else.
>
> That reads like you've never used a map, which I'm sure isn't true.
> And, more importantly, I don't want it to be true.

I had to use them in the odd way back in my youth, compassessesessessse's marked with Mils rather than degrees.

Maps are nice for planning, as are a whole host of other tools like books, forums, google maps, streetview, chatting bullshit at bars etc etc.

Accurate and reliable satnav just makes life easy. I could do without it but it would make finding specific address / attractions a lot harder and distracting if you are suddenly told you need to be at destination X at time Y.

Pete Fisher

Nov 22, 2016, 6:45:49 AM11/22/16
Which is all well and good until that bozo that supplied the coordinates
for a POI, or populated the POI database CBA to do it accurately and
just uses the centre of the notional town/village which the POI is near.

The Campanile, Niort La Creche, as a POI on the TomTom in the Mazda3
being an example. Either Campanile or TomTom had screwed up, but we were
led to the centre of La Creche and told we had reached our destination -
NOT! It's actually about 4Kms away towards the centre of Niort. Had to
use my phone and google maps eventually to locate it after a somewhat
fraught wild goose chase around the local D roads.

YTC#1

Nov 22, 2016, 7:27:12 AM11/22/16
Why did you not follow the useful hotel signs they always have ?

Campanile -> 5 min
3 mins later
Campanile -> 5 min
5 mins later
Campanile -> 3 min

Salad Dodger

Nov 22, 2016, 7:46:42 AM11/22/16
On Friday, November 18, 2016 at 4:37:41 PM UTC, ogden wrote:

> I have maps for all the places I've used a satnav.
>
> Sometimes I even take the maps with me.

Then a group of you can pore over the map in a bar, decide on a destination for tomorrow, like, for example, a picturesque lake some 80 miles away.

You then retire to your room, and log the way point on the satnav.

The following day, you set off in convoy, until the inevitable separation occurs, whereupon you discover that whilst you all marked *a* lake as a waypoint, it might not necessarily be the same one. Oh, and there's no 'phone signal, as a bonus.

Higgins

Nov 22, 2016, 5:07:26 PM11/22/16
Salad Dodger <Salad....@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Friday, November 18, 2016 at 4:37:41 PM UTC, ogden wrote:
>>
>> I have maps for all the places I've used a satnav.
>>
>> Sometimes I even take the maps with me.
>
> Then a group of you can pore over the map in a bar, decide on a
> destination for tomorrow, like, for example, a picturesque lake some 80 miles away.
>
> You then retire to your room, and log the way point on the satnav.
>
> The following day, you are far too hungover to find your arse with both hands

< Nods >

Brownz (via Gurgle Gruppez)

Nov 23, 2016, 5:34:48 AM11/23/16
On Tuesday, November 22, 2016 at 11:45:49 AM UTC, Pete Fisher wrote:
> On 22/11/2016 09:58, Brownz (via Gurgle Gruppez) wrote:
> > On Friday, November 18, 2016 at 3:08:53 PM UTC, Champ wrote:

> >> That reads like you've never used a map, which I'm sure isn't true.
> >> And, more importantly, I don't want it to be true.
> >
> > I had to use them in the odd way back in my youth, compassessesessessse's marked with Mils rather than degrees.
> >
> > Maps are nice for planning, as are a whole host of other tools like books, forums, google maps, streetview, chatting bullshit at bars etc etc.
> >
> > Accurate and reliable satnav just makes life easy. I could do without it but it would make finding specific address / attractions a lot harder and distracting if you are suddenly told you need to be at destination X at time Y.
> >

> Which is all well and good until that bozo that supplied the coordinates
> for a POI, or populated the POI database CBA to do it accurately and
> just uses the centre of the notional town/village which the POI is near.
>
> The Campanile, Niort La Creche, as a POI on the TomTom in the Mazda3
> being an example. Either Campanile or TomTom had screwed up, but we were
> led to the centre of La Creche and told we had reached our destination -
> NOT! It's actually about 4Kms away towards the centre of Niort. Had to
> use my phone and google maps eventually to locate it after a somewhat
> fraught wild goose chase around the local D roads.

As they say - Garbage in Garbage out.
This is why on long trips I tend to double check on street view that something is actually where it says it is on the satnav. Never had mis-hit so far. But hey ho. YMMV.

wessie

Nov 23, 2016, 2:18:09 PM11/23/16
"Brownz (via Gurgle Gruppez)" <browni...@googlemail.com> wrote in

> As they say - Garbage in Garbage out.
> This is why on long trips I tend to double check on street view that
> something is actually where it says it is on the satnav. Never had
> mis-hit so far. But hey ho. YMMV.

I try to do that for the trips I plan, even looking for fuel stations near
hotels for those with tiny fuel tanks. The French seem to be closing non-
supermarché fuel stations more rapidly than us and the Germans and
Austrians won't play ball at all with Google maps.

Pete Fisher

Nov 23, 2016, 3:13:22 PM11/23/16
Well yes, as do I. It does, however, show what can happen if you just
ride/drive until tired and then choose a hotel POI near your current
location.

ogden

Nov 23, 2016, 5:02:54 PM11/23/16
Brownz (via Gurgle Gruppez) wrote:

> As they say - Garbage in Garbage out.
> This is why on long trips I tend to double check on street view that something is actually where it says it is on the satnav. Never had mis-hit so far. But hey ho. YMMV.

As an example of garbage in, I stayed at a hotel in Troyes a few years
ago which is on Avenue Géneral Leclerc, but the hotel owner was and is
adamant it's on Avenue Maréchal Leclerc, a road that doesn't exist.

--
ogden

Mike Fleming

Nov 24, 2016, 4:13:06 AM11/24/16