Another pavement motorist posed a serious danger to all, including cyclists.

1 view

Doug

Mar 28, 2011, 7:33:28 AM3/28/11
"A car driven by a man in his 80s has crashed through the window of a
frozen food store in Bedfordshire.

The crash happened at 1215 BST on Sunday, on Greenhill Street, in the
Allhallows area of Bedford.

The Vauxhall Astra car hit other vehicles before crashing into the
Iceland shop.

The driver was seen trying to avoid pedestrians, said Bedfordshire
Police. No-one was hurt, but the driver suffered shock.

Police said they were not yet sure what caused the crash."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-12879979

-- .
UK Radical Campaigns.(Recently updated).
http://www.zing.icom43.net
A driving licence is a licence to kill.

Doug

Mar 28, 2011, 7:41:13 AM3/28/11
"A car driven by a man in his 80s has crashed through the window of a
frozen food store in Bedfordshire.

The crash happened at 1215 BST on Sunday, on Greenhill Street, in the
Allhallows area of Bedford.

The Vauxhall Astra car hit other vehicles before crashing into the
Iceland shop.

The driver was seen trying to avoid pedestrians, said Bedfordshire
Police. No-one was hurt, but the driver suffered shock.

Police said they were not yet sure what caused the crash."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-12879979

Here are some others. Pavement motoring seems to be becoming quite
commonplace.

http://www.bedfordshire-news.co.uk/News/Tavistock-Sound-and-Visions-smashing-new-poster.htm

http://www.bedfordshire-news.co.uk/News/Man-crashes-car-through-Iceland-in-Bedford.htm

francis

Mar 28, 2011, 7:48:26 AM3/28/11
On Mar 28, 12:41 pm, Doug <jag...@riseup.net> wrote:
> "A car driven by a man in his 80s has crashed through the window of a
> frozen food store in Bedfordshire.
>
> The crash happened at 1215 BST on Sunday, on Greenhill Street, in the
> Allhallows area of Bedford.
>
> The Vauxhall Astra car hit other vehicles before crashing into the
> Iceland shop.
>
> The driver was seen trying to avoid pedestrians, said Bedfordshire
> Police. No-one was hurt, but the driver suffered shock.
>
> Police said they were not yet sure what caused the crash."
>
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-12879979
>
> Here are some others. Pavement motoring seems to be becoming quite
> commonplace.
>
> http://www.bedfordshire-news.co.uk/News/Tavistock-Sound-and-Visions-s...
>
> http://www.bedfordshire-news.co.uk/News/Man-crashes-car-through-Icela...

> -- .
> UK Radical Campaigns.(Recently updated).
>  http://www.zing.icom43.net
> A driving licence is a licence to kill.

How interesting, I presume that the cyclists involved were cycling
round Iceland buying their shopping.

Mr Benn

Mar 28, 2011, 7:48:46 AM3/28/11
Yet another!

Mrcheerful

Mar 28, 2011, 8:28:30 AM3/28/11

was the driver making a routine journey along the pavement?
If not then he was not a pavement motorist. In all probability it is
another case of an elderly person losing control of a vehicle, there are
dozens of such cases every year, including many cyclists. If enough cases
occur every year then I expect the issue will be dealt with by some new
legislation for elderly drivers, and hopefully elderly cyclists too.

In the meantime it is a rather OT post for a cycling newsgroup as it does
not even mention a cyclist in any way.

JNugent

Mar 28, 2011, 11:10:19 AM3/28/11
On 28/03/2011 12:33, Doug wrote:

> "A car driven by a man in his 80s has crashed through the window of a
> frozen food store in Bedfordshire.
> The crash happened at 1215 BST on Sunday, on Greenhill Street, in the
> Allhallows area of Bedford.
> The Vauxhall Astra car hit other vehicles before crashing into the
> Iceland shop.
> The driver was seen trying to avoid pedestrians, said Bedfordshire
> Police. No-one was hurt, but the driver suffered shock.
> Police said they were not yet sure what caused the crash."
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-12879979

"The driver was seen trying to avoid pedestrians, said Bedfordshire Police.

No-one was hurt".

If only *everyone* travelling along the footway (as distinct from across it)
tried to avoid pedestrians, eh?

The Medway Handyman

Mar 28, 2011, 3:24:07 PM3/28/11
On 28/03/2011 12:33, Doug wrote:
> "A car driven by a man in his 80s has crashed through the window of a
> frozen food store in Bedfordshire.

No cyclists involved - OT.

Just zis Guy, you know?

Mar 28, 2011, 5:59:27 PM3/28/11

thomas....@rocketmail.com

Mar 28, 2011, 6:21:23 PM3/28/11
On Mar 28, 12:33 pm, Doug <jag...@riseup.net> wrote:
> "A car driven by a man in his 80s has crashed through the window of a
> frozen food store in Bedfordshire.

Probably a disabled cyclist who was not allowed to cycle around the
shop, so he thought he would take 'direct action'

> The crash happened at 1215 BST on Sunday, on Greenhill Street, in the
> Allhallows area of Bedford.

I bet he had forgot to put the clocks forward & misunderstood the
opening hours.

> The Vauxhall Astra car hit other vehicles

How many other vehivcles, we should be told, give us all the
information.

> before crashing into the
> Iceland shop.

I bet he didn't crash, he 'rammed'.

> The driver was seen trying to avoid pedestrians,

There you go the silly sod could not even aim correctly.

> said Bedfordshire
> Police.

You never believe the police, why start now?

>No-one was hurt,

These 'car weapons' aren't that good, are they?

> but the driver suffered shock.

He saw the prices that Iceland charge for a 'Meat Feast Pizza'

> Police said they were not yet sure what caused the crash."

They should check the on board computer, they make all cars crash.

> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-12879979
>
> -
> UK Radical Campaigns.(Recently updated with rubbish).
>  http://www.zing.(went the strings of my heart) icom43.net
> A driving licence is a licence to kill, drive classes B,BE,C1,C1E,D1,D1E,X47,R2,D2

So there it is , a disabled cyclist who did not know the time & was
upset at the price of Pizzas, tried to knock over some peds, but
missed and rammed a shop after his cars computors failed

Peter Keller

Mar 29, 2011, 2:51:05 AM3/29/11
On Mon, 28 Mar 2011 20:24:07 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:

> On 28/03/2011 12:33, Doug wrote:
>> "A car driven by a man in his 80s has crashed through the window of a
>> frozen food store in Bedfordshire.
>
> No cyclists involved - OT.

Also the driver was trying to avoid pedestrians and no-one was hurt.

--
67.4% of statistics are made up.

Doug

Mar 29, 2011, 2:51:10 AM3/29/11
On Mar 28, 8:24 pm, The Medway Handyman <davidl...@blueyonder.co.uk>
wrote:

> On 28/03/2011 12:33, Doug wrote:
>
> > "A car driven by a man in his 80s has crashed through the window of a
> > frozen food store in Bedfordshire.
>
> No cyclists involved - OT.

Are you trying to deny that motorists are a considerable danger to
cyclists, especially when they crash? Shouldn't this NG be free to
discuss anything which is a danger to cyclists?

Doug.

Mrcheerful

Mar 29, 2011, 3:15:03 AM3/29/11

We could of course discuss suicide jumpers, they represent a real and
demonstrable danger to cyclists.

or we could just discuss the danger that cyclists cause themselves and
others by their constant deliberate law breaking in cycling on pavements,
ignoring red lights, one way streets, pedestrian crossings, give way lines,
stop lines, railway crossing barriers, lighting regs, safety requirements,
common courtesy etc. etc.

Tony Raven

Mar 29, 2011, 3:48:47 AM3/29/11
"Mrcheerful" <nbk...@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

> or we could just discuss the danger that cyclists cause themselves and
> others by their constant deliberate law breaking in cycling on pavements,
> ignoring red lights, one way streets, pedestrian crossings, give way lines,
> stop lines, railway crossing barriers, lighting regs, safety requirements,
> common courtesy etc. etc.

And yet despite all that, the police attribute the vast majority of such
accidents to the driver's fault and in an Australian study using cyclists
with cameras, 85-95% of incidents were caused by the motorist not the
cyclist.
--
Tony

Simon Weaseltemper

Mar 29, 2011, 4:23:17 AM3/29/11

ISTM that The Vast Majority of Cyclists ride with little regard to the
law and with a blasé approach to safety. But the same can also be said
of the The Vast Majority of Drivers of most kind of vehicles too. Before
anyone jumps in with a pathetic comment like “Well that makes it ok then
does it?”, no, it does not. But while we have a road use culture where
driving standards are, on the whole, absolutely awful, and that cycling
standards are, on the whole, absolutely awful, ISTM pretty pointless to
keep going on about cyclists being the cause of their own misfortune.

bugbear

Mar 29, 2011, 4:46:27 AM3/29/11
Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

> On 28/03/2011 12:48, francis wrote:
>> How interesting, I presume that the cyclists involved were cycling
>> round Iceland buying their shopping.
>
> Please, just killfile him.

There's no point kill filing in u.r.c.

Since the only content is a mud fest,
either jump in, or talk about cycling in
u.r.c.m.

Doug's obsessions provides an amusing counterpoint
to mrcheerful's marvellous over the top callousness,
and Judith's innumeracy.

BugBear

Simon Mason

Mar 29, 2011, 4:53:46 AM3/29/11
On Mar 29, 9:46 am, bugbear <bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> wrote:

> Doug's obsessions provides an amusing counterpoint
> to mrcheerful's marvellous over the top callousness,
> and Judith's innumeracy.
>
>    BugBear

Hello Bugbear, I just love the way you have to mention me in every
post.
It is much appreciated.

--
Simon Mason

Trevor A Panther

Mar 29, 2011, 5:38:34 AM3/29/11
"Simon Weaseltemper" <simonwea...@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message

I confess that I have to agree with you.

I cycle nearly daily and the majority of people I see on bicycles in this
area indeed have little regard for obeying the HC or even cycling at all
sensibly. The vast majority I see cycle on pavements (not shared use ones)
with blithe disregard for pedestrians and intersecting road junctions. Those
on road sail through traffic lights and position them selves with total
disregard for their own safety.

That being said I see a huge amount of dangerous red light jumping by motor
vehicles -- in convoy as it were -- not just the odd one. Disregard for the
yellow cross hatch area is totally normal and speeding seems "de rigueur".

I have cycled widely in Europe and I have to say that standards seem very
much higher in France,Germany, The Netherlands, Spain and Austria. Italy is
a bit hairy at times -- especially on Sunday afternoons! And I hear that
Poland is as bad as England but I have never cycled there! But the real
difference is that there seems to be an "integrated awareness" all round of
pedestrians, cyclists and motorist traffic -- even in the bigger cities it
still applies.

I know for instance that locals in Hamburg think standards are very low --
and it is a very busy city --- but I cycled there for 3 or 4 days without
problem and found it immeasurably more pleasant and safer than in an
equivalent UK city. Tours in France was hairy at times but even there I
found busy traffic being very aware of cyclists and quite willing to give
way momentarily ( as opposed to accelerating past as in UK) when I needed to
manoeuvre.

But every time I return to ŁEngland I have to make a real mental adjustment
cope with conditions!

--
From
Trevor A Panther

Judith

Mar 29, 2011, 7:11:26 AM3/29/11

Well was it 85% or was it 95% - surely a study found a particular percentage - or are you trying to
make it seem worse that it was? What did the study actually say? What was the margin of error?

Is it true that there were only two collisions during the study? Whose fault were they?

Was that the study which showed that 11% of the cyclists taking part did not travel in a safe/legal
manner immediately prior to the accident?

I see the Porky Chapman training is coming along nicely.

--

"Then back to my club on Pall Mall "

Tony Raven - pretentious tosser

francis

Mar 29, 2011, 7:40:28 AM3/29/11

Can we discuss you then?
By your postings you have made more people hate cyclists then any
other group of people.

JNugent

Mar 29, 2011, 7:54:08 AM3/29/11

You're half-right, Doug.

Although, as others have pointed out, this elderly (and no doubt infirm)
gentleman was reported as tryig to avoid pedestrians (a tactic which seems to
have worked as he struggled for control of his vehicle, since no-one was
harmed), there is nothing about him trying to avoid the cyclists on the
footway. I am assuming there must have been some, since they would be the
only ones in any danger, thus causing your ire.

JNugent

Mar 29, 2011, 7:56:41 AM3/29/11
On 29/03/2011 08:48, Tony Raven wrote:

> "Mrcheerful"<nbk...@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

"Using cyclists with cameras" (ie, aggressive agents provocateurs constantly
looking for a fight).

You couldn't make it up, could you?

Judith

Mar 29, 2011, 9:19:19 AM3/29/11

Ah but he did.

(At least by omission)

Tony Raven

Mar 29, 2011, 11:33:23 AM3/29/11

You can clearly. Try reading the research before you jump to your
prejudices

--
Tony

Judith

Mar 29, 2011, 12:22:14 PM3/29/11

You forgot to give a reference to the research you "quote" (yet again)
I wonder why you continue to do that?

Simon Mason

Mar 29, 2011, 12:46:22 PM3/29/11
On Mar 29, 4:33 pm, Tony Raven <tra...@gotadsl.co.uk> wrote:
> Tony- Hide quoted text -

How can wearing a passive device like a camera provoke a fight for
heaven's sake?
I think it annoys drivers as they can be brought to book at last with
video evidence, instead of their cowardly bullying from inside a tonne
of metal going unpunished.

--
Simon Mason

JNugent

Mar 29, 2011, 1:50:03 PM3/29/11

The research data is published on youtube and other websites. The majority of
cases arise out of aggression and professional victimhood on the part of
those brandishing the cameras.

Riding around looking for a fight is not normal behaviour, and you know it,
even though you cannot bring yourself - for your own reasons - to admit it.

Tony Raven

Mar 29, 2011, 3:20:33 PM3/29/11
JNugent <jenni...@fastmail.fm> wrote:
> On 29/03/2011 16:33, Tony Raven wrote:
>> JNugent<jenni...@fastmail.fm> wrote:

>>> "Using cyclists with cameras" (ie, aggressive agents provocateurs
>>> constantly looking for a fight).
>>>
>>> You couldn't make it up, could you?
>>
>> You can clearly. Try reading the research before you jump to your
>> prejudices
>
> The research data is published on youtube and other websites. The
> majority of cases arise out of aggression and professional victimhood on
> the part of those brandishing the cameras.

No, the research data was published in the Annals of Advances in Automotive
Medicine.

....54 events were identified: 2 collisions, 6 near-collisions and 46
incidents. Prior to events, 88.9% of cyclists travelled in a safe/legal
manner. Sideswipe was the most frequent event type (40.7%). Most events
occurred at an intersection/intersection-related location (70.3%). The
vehicle driver was judged at fault in the majority of events (87.0%) and no
post-event driver reaction was observed (83.3%).
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21050610

--
Tony

Message has been deleted

The Medway Handyman

Mar 29, 2011, 5:22:20 PM3/29/11

Not a single original thought troubles his little brain...

The Medway Handyman

Mar 29, 2011, 5:26:15 PM3/29/11
On 29/03/2011 08:48, Tony Raven wrote:
> "Mrcheerful"<nbk...@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> or we could just discuss the danger that cyclists cause themselves and
>> others by their constant deliberate law breaking in cycling on pavements,
>> ignoring red lights, one way streets, pedestrian crossings, give way lines,
>> stop lines, railway crossing barriers, lighting regs, safety requirements,
>> common courtesy etc. etc.
>
> And yet despite all that, the police don't attribute the vast majority of such
> accidents to the driver's fault and in an Australian study that I've just made up using cyclists

> with cameras, 85-95% of incidents were caused by the motorist not the
> cyclist.

IFYPFY

The Medway Handyman

Mar 29, 2011, 5:27:40 PM3/29/11
I wonder why UK motorists have the lowest accident rates in Europe then?

The Medway Handyman

Mar 29, 2011, 5:28:51 PM3/29/11

Perhaps they meet in Ravings Pall mall club?

The Medway Handyman

Mar 29, 2011, 5:29:44 PM3/29/11

Because the twat makes it up?

The Medway Handyman

Mar 29, 2011, 5:32:17 PM3/29/11

So why do the fuckwits wear them then?

Tony Raven

Mar 29, 2011, 5:38:16 PM3/29/11

Oh look, the US National Institute of Health made it up too.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21050610

You've caught Derek's Syndrome. I'd revert to abuse if I were you. You
are much better at it than trying to be clever.

Tony

JNugent

Mar 29, 2011, 7:00:11 PM3/29/11

As I said, the majority of cases arise out of aggression and professional

victimhood on the part of those brandishing the cameras.

You snipped the bit where I pointed out that you know this to be true but
cannot admit that you know it.

NotMe

Mar 29, 2011, 10:30:29 PM3/29/11
On Mar 28, 12:33 pm, Doug <jag...@riseup.net> wrote:
> "A car driven by a man in his 80s has crashed through the window of a
> frozen food store in Bedfordshire.

In a true Anarchy, motorists would be allowed to do things like this
without let or hindrance, it is not what I want but it seems to be
what you campaign for.
You campaign for the right to use your vehicle on the pavement in an
antisocial way, so why are you complaining when others do the same?

Judith

Mar 30, 2011, 12:02:10 AM3/30/11
On Tue, 29 Mar 2011 22:38:16 +0100, Tony Raven <tra...@gotadsl.co.uk> wrote:

<snip>

>Oh look, the US National Institute of Health made it up too.
>
>http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21050610
>
>You've caught Derek's Syndrome. I'd revert to abuse if I were you. You
>are much better at it than trying to be clever.
>
>Tony

"Prior to events, 88.9% of cyclists traveled in a safe/legal manner."

ie 11% of them traveled in an unsafe/illegal manner.

Tony Raven

Mar 30, 2011, 2:09:19 AM3/30/11

Of course it does. In your motorist mind cyclists assessed by experts as
riding in a "safe/legal manner" are of course being aggressive and
professional victims.

> You snipped the bit where I pointed out that you know this to be true but
> cannot admit that you know it.

I guess Monash University Accident Research Unit know that what they
published is untrue as well. I suggest you write to the University and
point out their academic fraud and your evidence. Universities take such
allegations very seriously.

--
Tony

Peter Keller

Mar 30, 2011, 3:25:18 AM3/30/11
On Tue, 29 Mar 2011 12:11:26 +0100, Judith wrote:

> I see the Porky Chapman training is coming along nicely.

Hagfishes eat dead and dying fish, small worms, and crustaceans (krus-TAY-
shuns), which are animals that live in water and have a soft, segmented
body covered by a hard shell, such as hermit crabs and shrimps. Using its
biting plate, a hagfish pierces the food animal and bores into it, eating
the soft insides and leaving only the bones and skin or shell.

> --

<snip>

--
67.4% of statistics are made up.

Judith

Mar 31, 2011, 3:59:41 PM3/31/11

Could you tell us where you got "85-95% ." - I can't see 95% in the referenced article?

Did you just make it up?