Deer collides with competitor at Dublin city triathlon

Bod

Aug 29, 2016, 12:36:28 PM8/29/16

Alycidon

Aug 29, 2016, 12:41:31 PM8/29/16
On Monday, 29 August 2016 17:36:28 UTC+1, Bod wrote:
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-37213884

"The helmet definitely saved me,"

How can putting a coffee cup on your head save anything?
I once smashed my head into the road at 25mph and all I got was a small bump - evolution is great.

http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/brain-surgeon-theres-no-point-wearing-cycle-helmets/

JNugent

Aug 29, 2016, 12:48:06 PM8/29/16
On 29/08/2016 17:36, Bod wrote:

> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-37213884

"The helmet definitely saved me"...

Bod

Aug 29, 2016, 12:52:48 PM8/29/16
Indeed, always wear a helmet when flying deer are in the area.

JNugent

Aug 29, 2016, 12:55:46 PM8/29/16
It's absolutely and patently obvious that the man actually involved
cannot know anything at all and is clearly not able or fit to draw such
the conclusion he drew.

On the other hand, armchair pundits in Hull (who had not already made up
their minds on this issue, oh no, not at all, not at all) are supremely
qualified to make the decision as to whether the competitor was
definitely saved by his helmet.

Bod

Aug 29, 2016, 1:03:25 PM8/29/16
> He was obviously saved from further injury (probably serious), but I wouldguess that the chance of that happening again is virtually nil.

Alycidon

Aug 29, 2016, 1:10:23 PM8/29/16
On Monday, 29 August 2016 18:03:25 UTC+1, Bod wrote:
He was obviously saved from further injury (probably serious), but I wouldguess that the chance of that happening again is virtually nil.

I cycled to work for 15 years clocking up 110000 miles - hit my head once after falling on spilt diesel. Total waste of time.

Barry Trotter, a local 86 year old has never worn one in his entire life and still doesn't to this day.

Simon Jester

Aug 29, 2016, 2:40:22 PM8/29/16
Good advice for motorists.
Deer travel in pairs is something you learn when learning to drive in a rural setting.

Simon Jester

Aug 29, 2016, 2:45:22 PM8/29/16
On Monday, August 29, 2016 at 5:55:46 PM UTC+1, JNugent wrote:

> It's absolutely and patently obvious that the man actually involved
> cannot know anything at all and is clearly not able or fit to draw such
> the conclusion he drew.
>
> On the other hand, armchair pundits in Hull (who had not already made up
> their minds on this issue, oh no, not at all, not at all) are supremely
> qualified to make the decision as to whether the competitor was
> definitely saved by his helmet.

Precisely.
There is no way to know what would have happened if the rider was not wearing a helmet.
On the preponderance of the evidence the helmet would make no difference.

Alycidon

Aug 29, 2016, 2:58:40 PM8/29/16
On Monday, 29 August 2016 19:45:22 UTC+1, Simon Jester wrote:

> There is no way to know what would have happened if the rider was not wearing a helmet.
> On the preponderance of the evidence the helmet would make no difference.

They might have even killed them.

http://www.cyclehelmets.org/1227.html

James Wilkinson

Aug 29, 2016, 3:03:36 PM8/29/16
I wouldn't wear one even if someone proved beyond all doubt that they were useful. Apart from being annoying to have something on your head all the time (I'd never wear a hat), they make you look like a prat. Plus it's an extra thing to take with you when you're not on the bike.

--
Hickory dickory dock, three mice ran up the clock. The clock struck one, and the others got away with minor injuries.

James Wilkinson

Aug 29, 2016, 3:04:00 PM8/29/16
On Mon, 29 Aug 2016 17:36:27 +0100, Bod <bodr...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-37213884

We can draw two conclusions from this:

1) Deer are stupid as fuck.
2) It's funny when cyclists fall off.

--
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye, then it's fun and games that you can't see anymore.

James Wilkinson

Aug 29, 2016, 3:05:03 PM8/29/16
Wrong. I watched about 6 female deer cross the road 100 yards in front of my Golf. Then slammed into the male at about.... er.... 60. Yes it was a 60 limit, I wasn't doing 90. He won't do that again.

--
Before you set out on a journey, ring your local radio station and say there's a terrible congestion on your road. Everybody avoids it and it's clear for you! -- Jack Dee

Simon Jester

Aug 29, 2016, 3:38:07 PM8/29/16
On Monday, August 29, 2016 at 8:05:03 PM UTC+1, James Wilkinson wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Aug 2016 19:40:14 +0100, Simon Jester <sj81...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Good advice for motorists.
> > Deer travel in pairs is something you learn when learning to drive in a rural setting.
>
> Wrong. I watched about 6 female deer cross the road 100 yards in front of my Golf. Then slammed into the male at about.... er.... 60. Yes it was a 60 limit, I wasn't doing 90. He won't do that again.

I am not sure what point you are failing to make here but if a deer runs in front of your car you stop, chances are there will be another.

Mr Pounder Esquire

Aug 29, 2016, 3:39:46 PM8/29/16
Pillock.

Mr Pounder Esquire

Aug 29, 2016, 3:54:45 PM8/29/16
James Wilkinson wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Aug 2016 19:40:14 +0100, Simon Jester <sj81...@gmail.com>
> wrote:

>>> Indeed, always wear a helmet when flying deer are in the area.
>>
>> Good advice for motorists.
>> Deer travel in pairs is something you learn when learning to drive
>> in a rural setting.
>
> Wrong. I watched about 6 female deer cross the road 100 yards in
> front of my Golf. Then slammed into the male at about.... er.... 60.
> Yes it was a 60 limit, I wasn't doing 90. He won't do that again.

Pillock.

James Wilkinson

Aug 29, 2016, 4:23:49 PM8/29/16
What would you have done? Oh wait, your Micra would have been destroyed by a deer, since you seem to think a cyclist could damage it to the tune of £400.

--
Peter is listening to "The Shadows - Sleepwalk"

James Wilkinson

Aug 29, 2016, 4:27:54 PM8/29/16
I saw them all in one herd, I didn't think of one being further behind.

--
A hard-on doesn't count as personal growth.

JNugent

Aug 29, 2016, 7:48:44 PM8/29/16
Oh dear...

W H O O S H !