Practice what you preach?

garyb...@googlemail.com

Nov 14, 2018, 3:19:41 AM11/14/18

The hypocrisy of cyclists....

https://tinyurl.com/yb6bdkdh

Peter Keller

Nov 14, 2018, 4:42:20 AM11/14/18
On 11/14/18 9:19 PM, garyb...@googlemail.com wrote:

> The hypocrisy of cyclists....
>
> https://tinyurl.com/yb6bdkdh

[quote]
This page isn't available
The link you followed may be broken, or the page may have been removed.
[/quote]

So I cannot comment on anything, hypocritical or not.

True Blue

Nov 14, 2018, 5:07:04 AM11/14/18

Simon Jester

Nov 14, 2018, 2:06:27 PM11/14/18
Unforgivable behaviour by the cyclists.
I wonder how many motorists sounded their horn, tried to run the rider off the road, told her she was riding in the middle of the road and above all, doesn't pay 'Road Tax'.

True Blue

Nov 14, 2018, 2:29:50 PM11/14/18
On Wednesday, November 14, 2018 at 7:06:27 PM UTC, Simon Jester wrote:
> On Wednesday, November 14, 2018 at 10:07:04 AM UTC, True Blue wrote:

[...]

> Unforgivable behaviour by the cyclists.
> I wonder how many motorists sounded their horn, tried to run the rider off the road, told her she was >riding in the middle of the road and above all, doesn't pay 'Road Tax'?

Probably none.

Rob Morley

Nov 14, 2018, 3:10:14 PM11/14/18
On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 11:06:24 -0800 (PST)
Simon Jester <sj81...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday, November 14, 2018 at 10:07:04 AM UTC, True Blue wrote:
> >
> > https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1547769072015573&id=505284529597371
>
> Unforgivable behaviour by the cyclists.

Indeed - I hope someone gave them a bollocking. Even if they are city
folk unaccustomed to sharing the road with equestrians they should be
looking ahead, slowing down when necessary and not acting like it's a
race on a closed road.

TMS320

Nov 14, 2018, 7:26:53 PM11/14/18
On 14/11/2018 19:29, True Blue wrote:
> On Wednesday, November 14, 2018 at 7:06:27 PM UTC, Simon Jester
>> On Wednesday, November 14, 2018 at 10:07:04 AM UTC, True Blue
>>> On Wednesday, November 14, 2018 at 9:42:20 AM UTC, Peter Keller

> [...]
>
>> Unforgivable behaviour by the cyclists. I wonder how many motorists
>> sounded their horn, tried to run the rider off the road, told her
>> she was >riding in the middle of the road and above all, doesn't
>> pay 'Road Tax'?

Going up the inside like that is unforgiveable.

> Probably none.

Depends on whether you are talking about that particular occasion or
anywhere at any time.

https://www.horseandhound.co.uk/news/horse-rider-injured-driver-rammed-road-666923

There are plenty more where that came from.

Simon Jester

Nov 15, 2018, 2:41:34 AM11/15/18
Precisely.

Peter Keller

Nov 15, 2018, 4:52:38 AM11/15/18
Thanks. That works.
Personally when coming up behind a horse I slow down and ring the bell
well in advance, and try to give the horse a wide berth. It is safer
also for me to pass outside kicking range. And the horse has plenty of
notice that I am there because of the bell, even if the rider did not
hear it.

TMS320

Nov 16, 2018, 4:01:35 AM11/16/18
I am not sure what the reaction to a bell would be. Voice might be more
recognisable to the horse? Anyway, I usually ask the horsist whether it
is ok to go past.

True Blue

Nov 16, 2018, 4:21:54 AM11/16/18
I use a bell. I only ever ride alone or with Mrs, on an old railway line that's used by quite a lot of horses. The riders are always grateful for the notice. Some of the lycra crowd just don't bother.

TMS320

Nov 16, 2018, 4:46:14 AM11/16/18
They might be used to a bell in that case. I use country roads where
they may be less familiar. I hope that my interaction gives some
indication to them that they are not "in the way" and I don't mind
slowing down.

> Some of the lycra crowd just don't bother.

But do they preach something they don't practice?

soup

Nov 17, 2018, 8:52:30 AM11/17/18
I shout "cyclist behind", to my mind the horse recognises the voice as
human where as a bell... .

Merely "cyclist behind" is meant to imply (to the rider) that I am
there but not demanding to pass (I feel a bell is a bit clamouring
Though I do use one on people on their own).

Usually the result is the rider looking behind them waving me on and a
cheery wave.
Everyone is enjoying the outdoors.

TMS320

Nov 17, 2018, 10:13:11 AM11/17/18
On 17/11/2018 13:52, soup wrote:
> On 16/11/2018 09:01, TMS320 wrote:

>>> Thanks. That works.
>>> Personally when coming up behind a horse I slow down and ring the bell
>>> well in advance, and try to give the horse a wide berth. It is safer
>>> also for me to pass outside kicking range. And the horse has plenty of
>>> notice that I am there because of the bell, even if the rider did not
>>> hear it.
>>
>> I am not sure what the reaction to a bell would be. Voice might be
>> more recognisable to the horse?
>
> I shout "cyclist behind", to my mind the horse recognises the voice as
>  human where as a bell... .
>
> Merely "cyclist behind" is meant to  imply (to the rider) that I am
> there but not demanding to pass (I feel a bell is a bit clamouring
> Though I do use one on people on their own).

I once had a "that's better than a bell" in response to my "hello".

I sometimes ride with someone that has a noisy Campag freewheel (Shimano
are so much more pleasant). He has a theory that the horse might
associate it with an unfamiliar insect so he keeps the pedals idling.

The thing about a voice is that it is inherently short range and to
communicate without sounding shouty requires the approach to be made at
very low speed. People using mechanical noise makers usually seem to
assume the message can be received, source recognised and action carried
out in about 20ms.

> Usually the result is the rider looking behind them waving me on and a
> cheery wave.
> Everyone is enjoying the outdoors.

Indeed.

MrCheerful

Nov 17, 2018, 10:37:08 AM11/17/18
On 17/11/2018 13:52, soup wrote:
> On 16/11/2018 09:01, TMS320 wrote:

>>> Thanks. That works.
>>> Personally when coming up behind a horse I slow down and ring the bell
>>> well in advance, and try to give the horse a wide berth. It is safer
>>> also for me to pass outside kicking range. And the horse has plenty of
>>> notice that I am there because of the bell, even if the rider did not
>>> hear it.
>>
>> I am not sure what the reaction to a bell would be. Voice might be
>> more recognisable to the horse?
>
> I shout "cyclist behind",

Odd coincidence, I shout "cyclist, arsehole" (that is the usual
connotation after the first word.) One can of course precede that with
'bloody' to ensure that everyone will understand.

Mr Pounder Esquire

Nov 17, 2018, 10:50:39 AM11/17/18
Should some arsehole on a bicycle ring a silly bell at me, the arsehole gets
a face full of screenwash.
But they get that every time I overtake one of these wankers.

swldx...@gmail.com

Nov 17, 2018, 2:26:33 PM11/17/18
On Saturday, November 17, 2018 at 3:13:11 PM UTC, TMS320 wrote:

> I sometimes ride with someone that has a noisy Campag freewheel (Shimano
> are so much more pleasant). He has a theory that the horse might
> associate it with an unfamiliar insect so he keeps the pedals idling.

I have a pair of Campag Shamals and the noise from the hub when I used dual use paths ensured that I was always heard from behind. I always thanked people for allowing me through.

Kerr-Mudd,John

Nov 17, 2018, 4:37:25 PM11/17/18
On Sat, 17 Nov 2018 15:50:20 GMT, "Mr Pounder Esquire"
<MrPo...@RationalThought.com> wrote:

[]
> Should some arsehole on a bicycle ring a silly bell at me, the
> arsehole gets a face full of screenwash.
> But they get that every time I overtake one of these wankers.

Get help, your hate will destroy you.

--
Bah, and indeed, Humbug.

Peter Keller

Nov 18, 2018, 4:47:13 AM11/18/18
And it gets done for assault. Fucking criminal.
Threatening or actual physical violence against others is assault, even
if it is against arseholes and wankers.

True Blue

Nov 26, 2018, 11:28:00 AM11/26/18
Your horse has a windscreen??