OT: Downsizing

swldx...@gmail.com

Apr 12, 2018, 3:54:49 PM4/12/18
Decided to up sticks after 18 years here and move to a mining town near Doncaster called Thorne. Some nice little ex-miners cottages go for £70000 there. Will be sad to leave the area near the Humber, but as I no longer work, there is nothing keeping me here.

Mr Pounder Esquire

Apr 12, 2018, 9:07:14 PM4/12/18
Good luck and I hope you will be happy there.
Are you taking your bicycle with you?

MrCheerful

Apr 13, 2018, 1:24:39 AM4/13/18
Divorce is a hard process.

swldx...@gmail.com

Apr 13, 2018, 4:48:50 AM4/13/18
Yes - all 3.
Cheers.

Bret Cahill

Apr 15, 2018, 1:11:54 AM4/15/18
> Decided to up sticks after 18 years here and move to a mining town near Doncaster called Thorne. Some nice little ex-miners cottages go for £70000 there. Will be sad to leave the area near the Humber, but as I no longer work, there is nothing keeping me here.

We may be looking at a bad economy. Usually when there's a downturn young people from hard hit areas will move to a city that isn't so bad off, i.e., from Michigan to Houston when oil was up or from Beaumont, TX to Atlanta when oil tanked.

In the past most anyone could usually get a job moving to LA, even in a downturn, if they could stand the traffic. One acquaintance who likes to work 2 or even 3 jobs is always sending out resumes. He says that responses to his letters are down 90% from a year ago and the homeless encampments are even spilling out onto acceleration ramps.

The homeless are like the canary in the mine and various money types from Soros to Schiller have been predicting Great Recession II. A couple weeks ago Buffet warned stock holders to be ready for a 50% loss.

The good news is that after the meltdown there'll be a recovery and you can find another job.

Bret Cahill

swldx...@gmail.com

Apr 15, 2018, 5:28:27 AM4/15/18
I have a pension for life, plus my old age pension in 6 years time.
I don't need a job as I am 60 in October, but my daughters have left home.

A 1930's house nearby has just sold for £200000, it is falling to bits and has birds nesting inside it, so mine will sell eventually, but I am under no pressure at the moment.

One couple came last week and said that they loved the position, but they were in a chain. Another couple is viewing tomorrow and the summer is coming too.

Bret Cahill

Apr 15, 2018, 12:06:22 PM4/15/18
> > > Decided to up sticks after 18 years here and move to a mining town near Doncaster called Thorne. Some nice little ex-miners cottages go for £70000 there. Will be sad to leave the area near the Humber, but as I no longer work, there is nothing keeping me here.
> >
> > We may be looking at a bad economy. Usually when there's a downturn young people from hard hit areas will move to a city that isn't so bad off, i.e., from Michigan to Houston when oil was up or from Beaumont, TX to Atlanta when oil tanked.
> >
> > In the past most anyone could usually get a job moving to LA, even in a downturn, if they could stand the traffic. One acquaintance who likes to work 2 or even 3 jobs is always sending out resumes. He says that responses to his letters are down 90% from a year ago and the homeless encampments are even spilling out onto acceleration ramps.
> >
> > The homeless are like the canary in the mine and various money types from Soros to Schiller have been predicting Great Recession II. A couple weeks ago Buffet warned stock holders to be ready for a 50% loss.
> >
> > The good news is that after the meltdown there'll be a recovery and you can find another job.
> >

> > Bret Cahill
>
> I have a pension for life, plus my old age pension in 6 years time.

That is one reason why the UK will never go fascist.

Last week a Holocaust survivor was comparing the U. S. today to`1930s Germany. He was too young to remember directly but apparently he felt like he had a stake in researching the situation just before he was born.

When I was six Dad told me if anything like nazi Germany happened here I'd be "the first one they would kill."

> I don't need a job as I am 60 in October, but my daughters have left home.

Some people are so social they need any excuse to be around people on some kind of basis. They often rely on employment.

That's why the Bodega app was so unpopular. A lot of people need to get out once a day if only to pick up a lemon at the corner market.

> A 1930's house nearby has just sold for £200000, it is falling to bits and has birds nesting inside it, so mine will sell eventually, but I am under no pressure at the moment.

> One couple came last week and said that they loved the position, but they were in a chain. Another couple is viewing tomorrow and the summer is coming too.

Long days in summer must be really nice at high latitudes. The long nights in winter . . . not so good.

Bret Cahill

swldx...@gmail.com

Apr 15, 2018, 2:17:45 PM4/15/18
On Sunday, April 15, 2018 at 5:06:22 PM UTC+1, Bret Cahill wrote:

> Some people are so social they need any excuse to be around people on some kind of basis. They often rely on employment.

I went for a £27000 shift job last year testing petrol in Immingham, but when they found out that it would be only pocket money to me, he offered me £20000 - For sampling a supertanker on Xmas Day and testing it to ISO 9000 standards, so I told him to shove it.

Bret Cahill

Apr 20, 2018, 8:15:47 PM4/20/18
> > Some people are so social they need any excuse to be around people on some kind of basis. They often rely on employment.

> I went for a £27000 shift job last year testing petrol in Immingham, but when they found out that it would be only pocket money to me, he offered me £20000 - For sampling a supertanker on Xmas Day and testing it to ISO 9000 standards, so I told him to shove it.

Everything is politicized on social media so "your fired" no longer has much umph anymore, not even in the U. S. That's why tRUMP wants to go backwards in time to the 1980s. Going backwards is not possible so tRUMP is having a high profile meltdown over the new situation. To the delight of Jimmy Carter, tRUMP is taking down the GOP, at least the last 40 years of ideology, as well as himself. That's why Carter is telling everyone not to impeach tRUMP, at least not right away.

As with anyone refusing to accept reality, tRUMP really could end up in jail. Nixon never really poked the bear. There wasn't much of a bear to poke back then. tRUMP poked the bear.

Popcorn anyone?

Bret Cahill

Colonel Edmund J. Burke

Apr 27, 2018, 12:45:02 PM4/27/18
On 4/12/2018 12:54 PM, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> Decided to up sticks after 18 years here and move to a mining town near Doncaster called Thorne. Some nice little ex-miners cottages go for £70000 there. Will be sad to leave the area near the Humber, but as I no longer work, there is nothing keeping me here.

Really don't matter cuz all the tiny island nation is a roadside splat toilet, mate.

swldx...@gmail.com

Jan 8, 2019, 4:48:41 AM1/8/19
On Friday, April 13, 2018 at 2:07:14 AM UTC+1, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

> Good luck and I hope you will be happy there.
> Are you taking your bicycle with you?

We are now in our new home in Bonby, N Lincolnshire and I have signed up with Plusnet after being with KCOM for 20 years. Settling in nicely!

Our 4 bikes are in the shed.

swldx...@gmail.com

Feb 15, 2019, 2:30:44 PM2/15/19
On Sunday, April 15, 2018 at 10:28:27 AM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> A 1930's house nearby has just sold for £200000, it is falling to bits and has birds nesting inside it, so mine will sell eventually, but I am under no pressure at the moment.
>
> One couple came last week and said that they loved the position, but they were in a chain. Another couple is viewing tomorrow and the summer is coming too.

All in all, it took 16 months from sticking a for sale sign in the front garden to getting the keys to our new house.