Cost of Tour de Yorkshire

Judith

Apr 19, 2014, 8:38:17 AM4/19/14

I have heard that the local authorities (ie the ratepayers) in Yorkshire are
contributing £11 Million to the costs of this event.

I wonder if they all know - and agree with this very large amount of money
being spent in this way?

Bill

Apr 19, 2014, 8:54:22 AM4/19/14
On Sat, 19 Apr 2014 13:38:17 +0100, Judith <jmsmi...@hotmail.co.uk>
wrote:
The operation of this, and how it has deliberately been routed away
from the Eastern and Northern side of the county, is something of a
minor scandal.

The process seems to have been somewhat less than fully transparent,
but to be honest I'm not that interested, it's just what people I
know have been moaning about.

anon

Apr 19, 2014, 1:33:56 PM4/19/14
On Sat, 19 Apr 2014 13:54:22 +0100, Bill <black...@gmail.com>
wrote:
The intention was for a third stage in East Yorkshire, but central
'government' funding wasn't forthcoming until the Cambridge - London
stage was added. You'll need to get someone from Welcome To Yorkshire
very drunk to find the full story.

The road surfaces remain royally fucked and lethal just a few metres
from the TdF route.

Judith

Apr 20, 2014, 2:32:39 AM4/20/14
On Sat, 19 Apr 2014 18:33:56 +0100, anon <an...@anon.com> wrote:

<snip>

>The intention was for a third stage in East Yorkshire, but central
>'government' funding wasn't forthcoming until the Cambridge - London
>stage was added. You'll need to get someone from Welcome To Yorkshire
>very drunk to find the full story.

Come on - share a few more details.

Matsav

Apr 20, 2014, 5:27:06 AM4/20/14

"Judith" <jmsmi...@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message
... But what is the leverage ratio of that alleged £11m? How much "other
money" is brought in to the local economy that wouldn't otherwise be there,
and how much of the alleged £11m would have been spent anyway?

As an example, this event in Harrogate
http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/events/TSIconference2014.cfm?frmAlias=/conference2014/
preceeds the Grand Depart 2014 of the TdF.It's proved extremely difficult to
find any hotel accommodation during the conference, possibly due to demand
from the media circus and its preparations before the TdF.

--
MatSav

abelard

Apr 20, 2014, 6:01:45 AM4/20/14
within hours of the start/finish lines being announced in france
...every hotel in the towns is booked to the gunnels...
much of it by the teams and the circus who tend to get advanced notice

either you are very quick or you a done for

--
www.abelard.org

---

Judith

Apr 20, 2014, 6:28:35 AM4/20/14
On Sun, 20 Apr 2014 10:27:06 +0100, "Matsav" <matsa...@btinternet.com> wrote:

>"Judith" <jmsmi...@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message
>>
>> I have heard that the local authorities (ie the ratepayers) in Yorkshire
>> are
>> contributing �11 Million to the costs of this event.
>>
>> I wonder if they all know - and agree with this very large amount of money
>> being spent in this way?
>>
>... But what is the leverage ratio of that alleged �11m? How much "other
>money" is brought in to the local economy that wouldn't otherwise be there,
>and how much of the alleged �11m would have been spent anyway?

I agree that local businesses - hotels and shops etc - may benefit. But I
really cannot see what the benefit is to the (non-business) rate payers.

I guess that there is no benefit - or people would be coming out with it here.

I also wonder if the rate-payers are really aware of the costs they are to
bear.

Bill

Apr 20, 2014, 7:52:33 AM4/20/14
<matsa...@btinternet.com> wrote:

>"Judith" <jmsmi...@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message
>>
>> I have heard that the local authorities (ie the ratepayers) in Yorkshire
>> are
>> contributing £11 Million to the costs of this event.
>>
>> I wonder if they all know - and agree with this very large amount of money
>> being spent in this way?
>>
>... But what is the leverage ratio of that alleged £11m? How much "other
>money" is brought in to the local economy that wouldn't otherwise be there,
>and how much of the alleged £11m would have been spent anyway?

I very much doubt we'll ever know.

Whoever is running all this is being very secretive about how
everything was dec ided.

Judith

Apr 20, 2014, 11:41:32 AM4/20/14

January 2013

An estimated £6.5m will be spent by Yorkshire councils when the Tour de France
weaves its way through the region in July 2014, the BBC has learned.

The news comes on the day full details of the route the Tour will take have
been revealed.

Because the region is hosting two out of the three stages of the race held in
England, the figure amounts to two-thirds of the estimated £10m "Le Tour" will
cost overall, before it visits London and the east of England.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-21050740

April 2014:

http://democracy.leeds.gov.uk/documents/s111514/Tour%20de%20France%20Report%20v2%20240314.pdf

Local authorities £11,039,778