Tree sap weapon makes cyclists fall off

MrCheerful

Sep 22, 2016, 5:12:26 AM9/22/16
There was no reason for this bend to be slippery but as I started going
around the bend, I thought something wasn't right and then the bike just
went from under me and I landed on my shoulder."
She added: "I wasn't the only one. There were three of us on the floor
at the same time. There were four accidents on that bend on that day.
She hit her head on the path but luckily she was wearing a helmet. She
also badly grazed her knee.
Claire, 40, who works three days a week as a compliance officer for a
law firm in Castle Park, has been using the cyclepath for about three years.
She said she had not had a problem with the bend before.
She added that the bend is so slippery because sap from the nearby trees
acts like diesel oil on the asphalt, turning it into a skating rink.
She said the trees should be trimmed and permanent warning signs erected
by the council as a matter of urgency.

How about installing padded surfaces everywhere too?

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/cyclist-claire-witnesses-two-accidents-on-danger-bend-while-lying-on-ground-with-broken-collarbone/story-29732718-detail/story.html

Jude

Sep 22, 2016, 5:55:58 AM9/22/16
From MrCheerful <g.odon...@yahoo.co.uk>:

>There was no reason for this bend to be slippery but as I started going
>around the bend, I thought something wasn't right and then the bike just
>went from under me and I landed on my shoulder."
>She added: "I wasn't the only one. There were three of us on the floor
>at the same time. There were four accidents on that bend on that day.
>She hit her head on the path but luckily she was wearing a helmet. She
>also badly grazed her knee.
>Claire, 40, who works three days a week as a compliance officer for a
>law firm in Castle Park, has been using the cyclepath for about three years.
>She said she had not had a problem with the bend before.
>She added that the bend is so slippery because sap from the nearby trees
>acts like diesel oil on the asphalt, turning it into a skating rink.
>She said the trees should be trimmed and permanent warning signs erected
>by the council as a matter of urgency.
>
>How about installing padded surfaces everywhere too?

It is slippery bend on a cycle path, why would it necessitate installing
padded surfaces everywhere?

A council spokesman has already explained, "A number of options are being
considered which include management of adjacent trees, path resurfacing and
amending the path route."

MrCheerful

Sep 22, 2016, 7:07:21 AM9/22/16
Why can't the cyclists just slow down? Or use more viable transport?
Why should the general public keep paying out more and more for
facilities for the leisure activities of such a tiny percentage of the
population?

Jude

Sep 22, 2016, 8:37:37 AM9/22/16
From MrCheerful <g.odon...@yahoo.co.uk>:

>On 22/09/2016 10:54, Jude wrote:
>> From MrCheerful <g.odon...@yahoo.co.uk>:
>>
>>> There was no reason for this bend to be slippery but as I started going
>>> around the bend, I thought something wasn't right and then the bike just
>>> went from under me and I landed on my shoulder."
>>> She added: "I wasn't the only one. There were three of us on the floor
>>> at the same time. There were four accidents on that bend on that day.
>>> She hit her head on the path but luckily she was wearing a helmet. She
>>> also badly grazed her knee.
>>> Claire, 40, who works three days a week as a compliance officer for a
>>> law firm in Castle Park, has been using the cyclepath for about three years.
>>> She said she had not had a problem with the bend before.
>>> She added that the bend is so slippery because sap from the nearby trees
>>> acts like diesel oil on the asphalt, turning it into a skating rink.
>>> She said the trees should be trimmed and permanent warning signs erected
>>> by the council as a matter of urgency.
>>>
>>> How about installing padded surfaces everywhere too?
>>
>> It is slippery bend on a cycle path, why would it necessitate installing
>> padded surfaces everywhere?
>>
>> A council spokesman has already explained, "A number of options are being
>> considered which include management of adjacent trees, path resurfacing and
>> amending the path route."
>
>Why can't the cyclists just slow down?

Some people seem to insist on learning the hard way: you know the type,
cycling has its fair share.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loaded_question

>Why should the general public keep paying out more and more for
>facilities for the leisure activities of such a tiny percentage of the
>population?

Cycling is not solely a leisure activity consideration.

TMS320

Sep 23, 2016, 4:19:04 AM9/23/16
On 22/09/2016 12:07, MrCheerful wrote:

> Why can't the cyclists just slow down?

Compared to what? Compared to whatever this reference is, how do you
know they didn't?

> Or use more viable transport?

Such as?

> Why should the general public keep paying out more and more for
> facilities for the leisure activities of such a tiny percentage of
> the population?

Facilities don't tend to be put in places where people cycle for leisure.

Peter Keller

Sep 23, 2016, 5:08:14 AM9/23/16
On 22.09.2016 23:07, MrCheerful wrote:

> Why can't the cyclists just slow down? Or use more viable transport?

What is more viable transport?

Bod

Sep 23, 2016, 5:37:46 AM9/23/16
He thinks that cars don't skid on slippery roads and crash into
buildings/people.
That happens on virtually a weekly basis. Pleny of news reports verify
this fact.

MrCheerful

Sep 23, 2016, 8:35:38 AM9/23/16
Pleny?

I have skidded, and drifted, quite literally thousands of times (I used
to race a lot) and have never fallen from my car as a result.

Bod

Sep 23, 2016, 8:53:29 AM9/23/16
Then you aren't trying hard enough.

Jude

Sep 23, 2016, 9:12:45 AM9/23/16
From MrCheerful <g.odon...@yahoo.co.uk>:
You seem to be implying that because you can fall off bicycles they are not
viable enough transport. Do you feel about motorcycles?

Jude

Sep 23, 2016, 9:16:26 AM9/23/16
From me:
Oopsy daze! What I meant to ask was: Do you feel the same about motorcycles?

TMS320

Sep 23, 2016, 2:45:52 PM9/23/16
On 23/09/2016 13:35, MrCheerful wrote:
A race track provides space for the skilled and unskilled to do it (how
do you know which you are?) and by lapping a race track, the opportunity
exists to learn cornering speeds. But we're not discussing a race track.

Just like drivers, different cyclists have different levels of bicycle
control skills.

MrCheerful

Sep 23, 2016, 2:57:20 PM9/23/16
The question was about viable transport, I have never fallen off a car
while skidding, either on the track or road. Yet I have fallen off
bicycles and motorcycles due to skidding. ergo, which method of travel
is better to avoid falling during a skid? A car is. If the lady in
question had been driving a car at the exact same place, she would not
have been hurt by falling.

TMS320

Sep 23, 2016, 3:23:58 PM9/23/16
On 23/09/2016 19:57, MrCheerful wrote:
> On 23/09/2016 19:45, TMS320 wrote:

>>> Pleny?
>>>
>>> I have skidded, and drifted, quite literally thousands of times (I used
>>> to race a lot) and have never fallen from my car as a result.
>>
>> A race track provides space for the skilled and unskilled to do it (how
>> do you know which you are?) and by lapping a race track, the opportunity
>> exists to learn cornering speeds. But we're not discussing a race track.
>>
>> Just like drivers, different cyclists have different levels of bicycle
>> control skills.
>>
> The question was about viable transport, I have never fallen off a car
> while skidding, either on the track or road. Yet I have fallen off
> bicycles and motorcycles due to skidding.ergo, which method of travel
> is better to avoid falling during a skid? A car is. If the lady in
> question had been driving a car at the exact same place, she would not
> have been hurt by falling.

People crash cars (into ditches, trees, bridges and buildings) after
skidding, and sometimes kill themselves and others, so trying to
constrain the result to "falling off" in the absence of any other effect
is just being childish.

James Wilkinson

Sep 23, 2016, 3:57:15 PM9/23/16
On Fri, 23 Sep 2016 09:19:02 +0100, TMS320 <dr6...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 22/09/2016 12:07, MrCheerful wrote:
>
>> Why can't the cyclists just slow down?
>
> Compared to what? Compared to whatever this reference is, how do you
> know they didn't?

They clearly weren't paying sufficient attention to their surroundings. If I skid my car on black ice and kill somebody, I can't say it was the council's fault.

--
She was engaged to a boyfriend with a wooden leg but broke it off.

JNugent

Sep 23, 2016, 4:08:55 PM9/23/16
But they don't just fall over.

TMS320

Sep 23, 2016, 5:40:46 PM9/23/16
On 23/09/2016 20:57, James Wilkinson wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Sep 2016 09:19:02 +0100, TMS320 <dr6...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 22/09/2016 12:07, MrCheerful wrote:
>>
>>> Why can't the cyclists just slow down?
>>
>> Compared to what? Compared to whatever this reference is, how do
>> you know they didn't?
>
> They clearly weren't paying sufficient attention to their
> surroundings. If I skid my car on black ice and kill somebody, I
> can't say it was the council's fault.

Correct. It wasn't me suggesting that anything was the council's fault.

I was just replying to the whingeing from Cheerless. It's good of you to
accept the possibility that a driver can cause a car to skid on a public
road and kill somebody, without wriggling that it doesn't count because
the driver hasn't fallen off.

JNugent

Sep 23, 2016, 5:45:48 PM9/23/16
Have you actually READ the thread title?

James Wilkinson

Sep 23, 2016, 6:30:51 PM9/23/16
My point that appears to have escaped you is that nobody should be doing anything about the trees. The cyclists need to take responsibility for their own actions, just as car drivers do with ice.

--
They say Confucius does his crosswords with a pen.

James Wilkinson

Sep 23, 2016, 6:31:25 PM9/23/16
He never seems to read anything anyone writes properly. Maybe he cycles because he failed the driving theory test, as he can't read?

--
System error 4C: kernel panic

Alycidon

Sep 23, 2016, 8:09:11 PM9/23/16
On Friday, 23 September 2016 23:31:25 UTC+1, James Wilkinson wrote:

> He never seems to read anything anyone writes properly. Maybe he cycles because he failed the driving theory test, as he can't read?

I never took a theory test in 1980 but passed first time anyway despite having had no lessons.

James Wilkinson

Sep 23, 2016, 8:17:05 PM9/23/16
So why do you obsess over the highway code if it wasn't required?

--
After Saddam was captured, eight people were killed and almost
80 wounded by shots fired in the air during celebrations

Alycidon

Sep 24, 2016, 12:20:24 AM9/24/16
On Saturday, 24 September 2016 01:17:05 UTC+1, James Wilkinson wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Sep 2016 01:09:10 +0100, Alycidon <swld...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Friday, 23 September 2016 23:31:25 UTC+1, James Wilkinson wrote:
> >
> >> He never seems to read anything anyone writes properly. Maybe he cycles because he failed the driving theory test, as he can't read?
> >
> > I never took a theory test in 1980 but passed first time anyway despite having had no lessons.
>
> So why do you obsess over the highway code if it wasn't required?

I knew the HC inside out back in 1980 and have kept up to date ever since, I like to obsess over fine print, obscure rules and little known facts.

Did you know that the brightest star in the sky and also the nearest in the Sun?
Even the experts get that wrong.

https://twitter.com/swldxer/status/768856861164593153

Peter Keller

Sep 24, 2016, 6:07:41 AM9/24/16
Oooh yes he feels about motorbikes. Among other things.

TMS320

Sep 24, 2016, 6:56:07 AM9/24/16
My understanding of the meaning of the word "correct" is that it is
usually used as a form of agreement. Have I been misinformed?

I put some questions to Cheerless following his original comments. You
included one of them at the top and it (or any of my words in the post
you snipped) makes no mention of trees. Cheerless tried to answer by
meandering off to racing cars. If you have an answer then by all means
provide one but stop trying to broaden it to something else.

I had formed the idea that you had a fairly pragmatic attitude (even if
I don't necessarily agree) but your recent behaviour is beginning to
make you look more like one of Nugent's bastard children.

Judith

Sep 24, 2016, 7:40:24 AM9/24/16
On Thu, 22 Sep 2016 10:12:22 +0100, MrCheerful <g.odon...@yahoo.co.uk>
wrote:

>There was no reason for this bend to be slippery but as I started going
>around the bend, I thought something wasn't right and then the bike just
>went from under me and I landed on my shoulder."
>She added: "I wasn't the only one. There were three of us on the floor
>at the same time. There were four accidents on that bend on that day.
>She hit her head on the path but luckily she was wearing a helmet. She
>also badly grazed her knee.
>Claire, 40, who works three days a week as a compliance officer for a
>law firm in Castle Park, has been using the cyclepath for about three years.
>She said she had not had a problem with the bend before.
>She added that the bend is so slippery because sap from the nearby trees
>acts like diesel oil on the asphalt, turning it into a skating rink.
>She said the trees should be trimmed and permanent warning signs erected
>by the council as a matter of urgency.

I think that that is a very reasonable request.

Where ever trees are adjacent to public rod or cycle paths - then there should
be very clear signs warning of possible slippery sap or wet leaves on the
surfaces which could be detrimental to cyclists.#

The costs for the signs could be taken out of the cyclist registration/licence
fees.

Judith

Sep 24, 2016, 7:45:43 AM9/24/16
On Fri, 23 Sep 2016 09:19:02 +0100, TMS320 <dr6...@gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

>Facilities don't tend to be put in places where people cycle for leisure.

Bawdrip to Chedzoy Riverside Path
Costs per km £35,267

Mirfield Helm Lane to Bradley Viaduct
Costs per km £ 163,820

I suppose there were thousands of cyclists wanting to use the paths to get to
work.

I don't mind as long as those costs came out of the cyclist licence fees. Do
you know if they did? Or was there a cyclists toll on the paths?

Judith

Sep 24, 2016, 7:46:58 AM9/24/16
Crikey - why have you never told us that before?

James Wilkinson

Sep 24, 2016, 12:22:13 PM9/24/16
Are you the same Smith that just admitted to beating up your spouse in uk.legal.moderated?

--
Advice given to RAF pilots during WWII:
"When a prang seems inevitable, endeavour to strike the softest, cheapest object in the vicinity as slowly and gently as possible."

James Wilkinson

Sep 24, 2016, 12:23:07 PM9/24/16
I'll respond to you when your posts are intelligible. Your mind is in knots.

--
Arriving home unexpectedly early from a business trip, the tired executive was shocked to discover his wife in bed with his next door neighbour.
"Since you are in bed with my wife," the furious man shouted, "I'm going over to sleep with yours!"

James Wilkinson

Sep 24, 2016, 12:32:31 PM9/24/16
Some things are worth knowing, but the HC is not one of them.

--
"Do you like Kipling?"
"I don't know, I've never kippled."

Alycidon

Sep 24, 2016, 1:15:38 PM9/24/16
On Saturday, 24 September 2016 17:22:13 UTC+1, James Wilkinson wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Sep 2016 12:46:58 +0100, Judith <jmsmi...@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

> >> I never took a theory test in 1980 but passed first time anyway despite having had no lessons.
> >>

> > Crikey - why have you never told us that before?
>
> Are you the same Smith that just admitted to beating up your spouse in uk.legal.moderated?

Nope - "judith" is in fact a Tony Bournes from Collyhurst who once had a Thai mail order wife and a business selling similar brides.

She has since left him so he spends his time stalking people online and trying to get people sacked from their jobs as he is eaten with envy at anyone richer, better educated and happier than he is.

He first appeared on USENET around 2005.

https://t.co/srlKXTLEQN

James Wilkinson

Sep 24, 2016, 2:40:14 PM9/24/16
On Sat, 24 Sep 2016 05:20:20 +0100, Alycidon <swld...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Saturday, 24 September 2016 01:17:05 UTC+1, James Wilkinson wrote:

>> > I never took a theory test in 1980 but passed first time anyway despite having had no lessons.
>>
>> So why do you obsess over the highway code if it wasn't required?
>
> I knew the HC inside out back in 1980 and have kept up to date ever since, I like to obsess over fine print, obscure rules and little known facts.

About as much use as memorising the bible.

> Did you know that the brightest star in the sky and also the nearest in the Sun?
> Even the experts get that wrong.
>
> https://twitter.com/swldxer/status/768856861164593153

Alycidon

Sep 24, 2016, 2:51:30 PM9/24/16
On Saturday, 24 September 2016 19:40:14 UTC+1, James Wilkinson wrote:

> > I knew the HC inside out back in 1980 and have kept up to date ever since, I like to obsess over fine print, obscure rules and little known facts.
>
> About as much use as memorising the bible.

Trivia fact - the world's oldest pop lyrics.

QUOTE:

"It is one of a few pop songs whose lyrics come directly from the Bible (See also "Turn! Turn! Turn!" by Pete Seeger, "40" by U2, and "The Lord's Prayer" by Sister Janet Mead)"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rivers_of_Babylon

James Wilkinson

Sep 24, 2016, 4:16:13 PM9/24/16
I know alternate words to that.

--
What happens if you install windows 98 on a system with 2 processors?
It crashes twice.

James Wilkinson

Sep 24, 2016, 8:56:30 PM9/24/16
Ah, yes the headers are rather different. They were both jsmiths that made me think.

James Wilkinson

Sep 24, 2016, 8:57:16 PM9/24/16
It costs more than that. If those cyclists stop having a car, the government gets less taxes from that.

--
I spilt spot remover on my dog, and now he's gone.

James Wilkinson

Sep 24, 2016, 8:58:02 PM9/24/16
On Fri, 23 Sep 2016 10:37:43 +0100, Bod <bodr...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> On 23/09/2016 10:08, Peter Keller wrote:
>> On 22.09.2016 23:07, MrCheerful wrote:
>>>>

>>> Why can't the cyclists just slow down? Or use more viable transport?
>>
>> What is more viable transport?
> >
> He thinks that cars don't skid on slippery roads and crash into
> buildings/people.
> That happens on virtually a weekly basis. Pleny of news reports verify
> this fact.

And the councils spend millions fucking about with roads instead of simply blaming the stupid motorist.

--
I am sorry I offended you - I should have lied.

James Wilkinson

Sep 24, 2016, 8:58:38 PM9/24/16
On Fri, 23 Sep 2016 14:16:26 +0100, Jude <noti...@mailinator.com> wrote:

> From me:
>
>> From MrCheerful <g.odon...@yahoo.co.uk>:

>>> Pleny?
>>>
>>> I have skidded, and drifted, quite literally thousands of times (I used
>>> to race a lot) and have never fallen from my car as a result.
>>
>> You seem to be implying that because you can fall off bicycles they are not
>> viable enough transport. Do you feel about motorcycles?
>
> Oopsy daze! What I meant to ask was: Do you feel the same about motorcycles?

I repeat the joke I heard around here recently. Fucking a lorry gives you the HGV virus.

--
Hiroshima '45 Chernobyl '86 Windows '95

TMS320

Sep 26, 2016, 8:24:31 AM9/26/16
On 24/09/2016 17:22, James Wilkinson wrote:

> I'll respond to you when your posts are intelligible. Your mind is in
> knots.

The usual process when sending a reply with quoted material is to make
your reply relevant. Your reply wasn't relevant and you complained even
after I followed yours with an agreement.

Had somebody written something along the lines of "somebody else was to
blame and the council should be sued for every penny", then your
original reply would have been relevant. Nobody wrote anything like
that, did they?

TMS320

Sep 26, 2016, 9:45:23 AM9/26/16
On 24/09/2016 12:45, Judith wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Sep 2016 09:19:02 +0100, TMS320 <dr6...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> Facilities don't tend to be put in places where people cycle for leisure.
>
> Bawdrip to Chedzoy Riverside Path
> Costs per km £35,267
>
> Mirfield Helm Lane to Bradley Viaduct
> Costs per km £ 163,820
>
> I suppose there were thousands of cyclists wanting to use the paths to get to
> work.

Fair enough though as Sustrans paths, public funding was not the amount
you quote. Since they were existing tracks, how much maintenance/upgrade
was necessary anyway, without consideration for people to ride bicycles?

> I don't mind as long as those costs came out of the cyclist licence fees. Do
> you know if they did? Or was there a cyclists toll on the paths?

I don't suppose the council minds collecting taxes from people that find
new business opportunities.

Judith

Sep 26, 2016, 10:05:43 AM9/26/16
On Sun, 25 Sep 2016 01:57:07 +0100, "James Wilkinson" <inv...@something.com>
wrote:
I didn't realise that every cyclist had a car. Are your sure?

Alycidon

Sep 26, 2016, 10:43:14 AM9/26/16
On Monday, 26 September 2016 15:05:43 UTC+1, Judith wrote:

> >It costs more than that. If those cyclists stop having a car, the government gets less taxes from that.
>

> I didn't realise that every cyclist had a car. Are your sure?

Here's mine in Spain.
In F/E/P/I I paid £300 in road tolls as well.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cj4KejwXAAESfZF.jpg

James Wilkinson

Sep 26, 2016, 1:11:39 PM9/26/16
They have to become a cyclist at some point.

--
If the Pope goes #2, does that make it "Holy Shit"?

James Wilkinson

Sep 26, 2016, 1:59:36 PM9/26/16
You've now snipped everything so I can't see what you're referring to and I really can't be bothered with you. Behave properly and reply in the normal fashion, then I might.

--
A mute walks into a drugstore (chemist) to buy package of prophylactics. Unable to tell the pharmacist what he wants, he puts a $5.00 bill on the counter, unzips his pants, and puts his dick on the counter and points to it.

The pharmacist watches, unzips his own fly, puts his dick on the counter, puts a ruler down next to both of them, points out that his is 1 inch longer and takes the mute's $5.00 bill.

JNugent

Sep 26, 2016, 3:35:57 PM9/26/16
You never like it when someone doesn't post what you expected, do you?

JNugent

Sep 26, 2016, 3:37:09 PM9/26/16
On 26-Sep-16 7:59 PM, James Wilkinson wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Sep 2016 13:24:31 +0100, TMS320 <dr6...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 24/09/2016 17:22, James Wilkinson wrote:
>>

>>> I'll respond to you when your posts are intelligible. Your mind is in
>>> knots.
>>
>> The usual process when sending a reply with quoted material is to make
>> your reply relevant. Your reply wasn't relevant and you complained even
>> after I followed yours with an agreement.
>>
>> Had somebody written something along the lines of "somebody else was to
>> blame and the council should be sued for every penny", then your
>> original reply would have been relevant. Nobody wrote anything like
>> that, did they?
>
> You've now snipped everything so I can't see what you're referring to
> and I really can't be bothered with you. Behave properly and reply in
> the normal fashion, then I might.

Bingo!

James Wilkinson

Sep 26, 2016, 3:39:42 PM9/26/16
Maybe he's a bot and we're upsetting his programming?

--
We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart -- H. L. Mencken

TMS320

Sep 26, 2016, 6:50:50 PM9/26/16
From you, the unexpected thing would be a follow up that actually
follows up.

James Wilkinson

Sep 26, 2016, 7:49:12 PM9/26/16
Everybody in this group except you makes sense (even though their opinions may be wrong).

--
Testicle (n.), a humorous question on an exam.

Judith

Sep 27, 2016, 10:01:59 AM9/27/16
As an aside - I was nearly knocked off my bike in Hull last week. Fortunately
I got the licence plate number.

JNugent

Sep 27, 2016, 11:23:54 AM9/27/16
"Come into my parlour", said TMS320 to the fly.

But his plots and plans are simplistic and transparent.