Fines and Penalties on the way ?

colwyn

Mar 9, 2018, 6:03:14 AM3/9/18

Motorists could be fined for driving too close to cyclists under a
safety review designed to make bikes the natural choice for short journeys.

Ministers will consider reforms to penalise intimidatory driving, and
which aim to reduce the number of cyclists and pedestrians injured.

The review by the Department for Transport is likely to consider
imposing mandatory passing distances to prevent motorists overtaking too
close to cyclists.

Passing distances have already been introduced in many countries, with
gaps of at least one metre on local roads, rising to one and a half
metres on faster routes. The Highway Code instructs motorists to give
cyclists “plenty of room”, as they would when passing another vehicle,
but no minimum distance has been set.

The government review is also likely to investigate the possibility of
fines for so-called car dooring, when motorists or car passengers
negligently swing open doors and hit passing cyclists.

The review could also consider penalties for drivers who stray into
cycle stop boxes at traffic lights, which are supposed to give cyclists
a head start when the lights go green, as well as ensuring that
left-turning vehicles give priority to bikes going straight ahead.

The DfT will publish a “call for evidence” today as part of its review
of safety standards for cyclists and pedestrians. In 2016, 448
pedestrians and 102 cyclists were killed on British roads and 8,537
people were seriously injured.

The review is also expected to consider the case for compulsory bike
helmets although this is unlikely to proceed after being dismissed as
counter productive by cycling campaigners.

It will not contain specific measures but will invite ideas backed with
evidence from cycling campaigners and other groups by the start of June,
with a government response by the end of August.

JNugent

Mar 9, 2018, 12:31:28 PM3/9/18
On 09/03/2018 11:03, colwyn wrote:

> Motorists could be fined for driving too close to cyclists under a
> safety review designed to make bikes the natural choice for short journeys.
>
> Ministers will consider reforms to penalise intimidatory driving, and
> which aim to reduce the number of cyclists and pedestrians injured.
>
> The review by the Department for Transport is likely to consider
> imposing mandatory passing distances to prevent motorists overtaking too
> close to cyclists.
>
> Passing distances have already been introduced in many countries, with
> gaps of at least one metre on local roads, rising to one and a half
> metres on faster routes. The Highway Code instructs motorists to give
> cyclists “plenty of room”, as they would when passing another vehicle,
> but no minimum distance has been set.
>
> The government review is also likely to investigate the possibility of
> fines for so-called car dooring, when motorists or car passengers
> negligently swing open doors and hit passing cyclists.

Surely cyclists will be subject to the same one-metre rule and therefore
are unlikely to be travelling within the opening arc of a door? We all
know how law-abiding cyclists are, after all.

Or is that Totally Different?

> The review could also consider penalties for drivers who stray into
> cycle stop boxes at traffic lights, which are supposed to give cyclists
> a head start when the lights go green, as well as ensuring that
> left-turning vehicles give priority to bikes going straight ahead.

There are already penalties for disobeying the rules at red traffic
lights. The real problem is how to get cyclists to comply with them.

Mr Pounder Esquire

Mar 9, 2018, 1:56:49 PM3/9/18
Yes of course, the one metre rule.
A turd on a pedal cycle undertook me, sorry, filtered, the other day whilst
in a queue of traffic. I guess he was about 6" from my nearside.
I saw him coming, waited and decided that now was a good time to use the
windscreen washers.
I hope the turd enjoyed Halfords screenwash.

Simon Jester

Mar 9, 2018, 3:13:30 PM3/9/18
JNugent
"what punishment have you received for your assault and criminal damage"

JNugent

Mar 9, 2018, 4:50:45 PM3/9/18
Assuming you know (I accept that that is absolutely not a safe
assumption), what on earth are you talking about?

Mr Pounder Esquire

Mar 9, 2018, 5:26:24 PM3/9/18
Jester is not very bright and is baiting with nonsense for replies. Quite a
silly Billy.
It really is best to mostly ignore him, or, if you are feeling kind, reply
to him.
Jester loves to get a reply to his silly postings. Quite a sad little man.

Peter Keller

Mar 10, 2018, 4:24:51 AM3/10/18
Why not your sharpened battleaxe dripping with turd?

Peter Keller

Mar 10, 2018, 4:25:50 AM3/10/18
On 10/03/18 11:26, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
> Jester is not very bright

I would take that as a great compliment since it comes from you.

Simon Jester

Mar 10, 2018, 8:03:13 AM3/10/18
At least Jester is a cyclist and this is a cycling group.
Why do you post here?
Nugent has the mental illness defence, what is your excuse?

Peter Keller

Mar 11, 2018, 5:50:11 AM3/11/18
Wot no answer?
Your dripping sharpened battle-axe would be ideal for the job!

Rob Morley

Mar 14, 2018, 4:24:25 PM3/14/18
On Fri, 9 Mar 2018 11:03:07 +0000
colwyn <gudd...@btinternet.invalid> wrote:

> Motorists could be fined for driving too close to cyclists under a
> safety review designed to make bikes the natural choice for short
> journeys.
>
> Ministers will consider reforms to penalise intimidatory driving, and
> which aim to reduce the number of cyclists and pedestrians injured.
>
> The review by the Department for Transport is likely to consider
> imposing mandatory passing distances to prevent motorists overtaking
> too close to cyclists.
>
> Passing distances have already been introduced in many countries,
> with gaps of at least one metre on local roads, rising to one and a
> half metres on faster routes. The Highway Code instructs motorists to
> give cyclists “plenty of room”, as they would when passing another
> vehicle, but no minimum distance has been set.
>
> The government review is also likely to investigate the possibility
> of fines for so-called car dooring, when motorists or car passengers
> negligently swing open doors and hit passing cyclists.

All this negligent, inconsiderate or malicious behaviour by drivers is
covered by existing offences - it's just a matter of persuading the
police to bother about enforcement (when resources are already scarce).
I wonder if they'll have another consultation about drivers on phones.