Why Fly or Drive When You Can Cycle?

39 vues

Bret Cahill

non lue,
26 avr. 2016, 00:48:5126/04/2016
> http://www.marketwatch.com/story/4-things-saudi-arabias-economic-reform-plan-says-about-oil-2016-04-25
>
> Lastly, the Saudi Vision 2030 plan implies that the world just doesn't need
> as much oil as it used to.

There's no reason to drive or fly around when you can cycle.

Bret Cahill

MrCheerful

non lue,
26 avr. 2016, 03:50:1026/04/2016
I trust you remember that next time you need to reach europe.

JNugent

non lue,
26 avr. 2016, 07:07:3626/04/2016
And if anyone can cycle from JFK to LHR, it'll be one of the usual
suspects here (as long as sufficient vindaloo and beer can be obtained
along the way).

Bret Cahill

non lue,
27 avr. 2016, 00:04:3127/04/2016
Posting stuff like that will cause it to happen.

Bret Cahill

Bret Cahill

non lue,
27 avr. 2016, 00:21:4627/04/2016
I'd like to see the hedges between fields in the UK in person. Supposedly they have their own eco systems. Maybe a real thatched roof would be interesting too. I was discussing thatched roofs with an Irish woman and I told her if she tried a thatched roof in SoCal it would be treated as an act of terrorism.

But I can't really justify blowing my sub Sir Issac Newton carbon footprint just to sit in a hedge or inspect a roof.

Alycidon

non lue,
27 avr. 2016, 01:17:4727/04/2016
On Wednesday, 27 April 2016 05:21:46 UTC+1, Bret Cahill wrote:

> > > There's no reason to drive or fly around when you can cycle.
> > >

> > > Bret Cahill
> > >

> > I trust you remember that next time you need to reach europe.
>
> I'd like to see the hedges between fields in the UK in person. Supposedly they have their own eco systems.

I can watch the birds come and go from my armchair.
https://goo.gl/maps/aUmgnkgShNy

> But I can't really justify blowing my sub Sir Issac Newton carbon footprint just to sit in a hedge or inspect a roof.

http://www.qm2.org.uk/itinerary.html#Jun

Bret Cahill

non lue,
27 avr. 2016, 02:52:4027/04/2016
A high tech version of the Caloric Ship by Ericsson could use partial pyrolysis at sea dumping bio char overboard.

This would result in overseas travel with a _negative_ carbon footprint.

The problem with the early air engines was they didn't have the precision machining ability for the highly convoluted surfaces necessary for heat transfer. The Swedish kockums stirling relies on hundreds of bar pressure. This is not the cheapest way to go for heat transfer, especially if the goal is low temperature biochar.

Pistons should not be circular but have dozens of fins that ride in slots in the cylinder walls. This is possible now.

Not sure about the Atlantic but there are areas in the Pacific where you could harvest tons of plastic and other trash and burn that for fuel.

Forever.

Bret Cahill

MrCheerful

non lue,
27 avr. 2016, 03:43:4427/04/2016
So still no mention of how you cycle across the Atlantic.

Alycidon

non lue,
27 avr. 2016, 04:00:2027/04/2016

Alycidon

non lue,
27 avr. 2016, 04:02:3927/04/2016
On Tuesday, 26 April 2016 05:48:51 UTC+1, Bret Cahill wrote:
There is a guy from my home city who is travelling from Chile to Hull, UK with no motors involved or sea crossings.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_Bushby

JNugent

non lue,
27 avr. 2016, 05:36:5827/04/2016
On 27/04/2016 05:21, Bret Cahill wrote:

>>> There's no reason to drive or fly around when you can cycle.

>> I trust you remember that next time you need to reach europe.

> I'd like to see the hedges between fields in the UK in person. Supposedly they have their own eco systems.

They do - well, sub-systems. Even hedges between domestic gardens often
fall into that category.

> Maybe a real thatched roof would be interesting too. I was discussing thatched roofs with an Irish woman and I told her if she tried a thatched roof in SoCal it would be treated as an act of terrorism.
> But I can't really justify blowing my sub Sir Issac Newton carbon footprint just to sit in a hedge or inspect a roof.

There *are* other things to see in the UK...

JNugent

non lue,
27 avr. 2016, 05:41:3227/04/2016
If he expects to get from Alaska into Russia via the Bering Strait
without a sea crossing, he's got a faulty map.

<http://tinyurl.com/jq642x4>

MrCheerful

non lue,
27 avr. 2016, 07:24:4127/04/2016
like cycle super highways and the tdf route

MrCheerful

non lue,
27 avr. 2016, 07:25:4627/04/2016
he is going to cycle through the channel tunnel?

Anthony 'Piss_Taker' Janssen

non lue,
27 avr. 2016, 07:34:0327/04/2016
Why are psychopaths apparently unable to read..?

'In March 2006, Bushby and French adventurer Dimitri Kieffer crossed
the Bering Strait on foot, having to take a roundabout 14-day route
across a frozen 150-mile (240 km) section to cross the 58-mile (93 km)
wide strait from Alaska to Siberia.[1]...'

--
john smith |MA (Hons)|MPhil (Hons)|CAPES (mention très bien)|LLB (Hons)
'It never gets any easier. You just get faster'

Alycidon

non lue,
27 avr. 2016, 07:59:2527/04/2016
On Wednesday, 27 April 2016 12:34:03 UTC+1, Anthony 'Piss_Taker' Janssen wrote:
> Why are psychopaths apparently unable to read..?
>
> 'In March 2006, Bushby and French adventurer Dimitri Kieffer crossed
> the Bering Strait on foot, having to take a roundabout 14-day route
> across a frozen 150-mile (240 km) section to cross the 58-mile (93 km)
> wide strait from Alaska to Siberia.[1]...'

QUOTE:

"An ex-paratrooper has become the first Briton to walk across the Bering Strait, the treacherous 58-mile frozen sea between North America and Russia.

Karl Bushby reached land after 14 days walking across shifting plates of ice in temperatures reaching -30C.

The explorer, from Hull, is 18,000 miles into an epic 36,000-mile round-the-world trip."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/humber/4872348.stm

MrCheerful

non lue,
27 avr. 2016, 08:17:5527/04/2016
so he walked across sea, without making a sea crossing, how strange your
world is .

Anthony 'Piss_Taker' Janssen

non lue,
27 avr. 2016, 08:30:0327/04/2016
Alycidon <swld...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday, 27 April 2016 12:34:03 UTC+1, Anthony 'Piss_Taker' Janssen wrote:

>> Why are psychopaths apparently unable to read..?
>>
>> 'In March 2006, Bushby and French adventurer Dimitri Kieffer crossed
>> the Bering Strait on foot, having to take a roundabout 14-day route
>> across a frozen 150-mile (240 km) section to cross the 58-mile (93 km)
>> wide strait from Alaska to Siberia.[1]...'

> "An ex-paratrooper has become the first Briton to walk across the Bering
> Strait, the treacherous 58-mile frozen sea between North America and
> Russia.
>
> Karl Bushby reached land after 14 days walking across shifting plates of
> ice in temperatures reaching -30C.
>
> The explorer, from Hull, is 18,000 miles into an epic 36,000-mile
> round-the-world trip."
>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/humber/4872348.stm

Rather him than me.

JNugent

non lue,
27 avr. 2016, 09:35:3927/04/2016
On 27/04/2016 12:32, Anthony 'Piss_Taker' Janssen wrote:
> JNugent <jenni...@fastmail.fm> wrote:

>>> There is a guy from my home city who is travelling from Chile to Hull, UK with no motors involved or sea crossings.
>>
>>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_Bushby
>>
>> If he expects to get from Alaska into Russia via the Bering Strait
>> without a sea crossing, he's got a faulty map.
>>
>> <http://tinyurl.com/jq642x4>
>
> Why are psychopaths apparently unable to read..?
>
> 'In March 2006, Bushby and French adventurer Dimitri Kieffer crossed
> the Bering Strait on foot, having to take a roundabout 14-day route
> across a frozen 150-mile (240 km) section to cross the 58-mile (93 km)
> wide strait from Alaska to Siberia.[1]...'

How is the Bering Strait not part of the sea?

Anthony 'Piss_Taker' Janssen

non lue,
27 avr. 2016, 09:40:0427/04/2016
Hahahaha !!!!!!!!!!!

Fucking _priceless_ !!!

--
john smith |MA (Hons)|MPhil (Hons)|CAPES (mention très bien)|LLB (Hons)
'It never gets any easier. You just get faster'
(Greg LeMond (1961 - ))

wait for the smug, 'so you agree that it's part of the sea...?'

JNugent

non lue,
27 avr. 2016, 09:43:1827/04/2016
On 27/04/2016 14:38, Anthony 'Piss_Taker' Janssen wrote:
> JNugent <jenni...@fastmail.fm> wrote:

>>> Why are psychopaths apparently unable to read..?
>>>
>>> 'In March 2006, Bushby and French adventurer Dimitri Kieffer crossed
>>> the Bering Strait on foot, having to take a roundabout 14-day route
>>> across a frozen 150-mile (240 km) section to cross the 58-mile (93 km)
>>> wide strait from Alaska to Siberia.[1]...'
>>
>> How is the Bering Strait not part of the sea?
>
> Hahahaha !!!!!!!!!!!
>
> Fucking _priceless_ !!!

Indeed it is - some idiot thinks that the Bering Strait is not part of
the sea.

You couldn't make it up, could you?

Anthony 'Piss_Taker' Janssen

non lue,
27 avr. 2016, 09:55:1227/04/2016
Tum, tee-tum ...

' The continuous body of salt water that covers the greater part of the
earth's surface....'
(OED Online, accessed 27 April 2016)

When it's not liquid, it's not 'sea', you illiterate twat.

Splash one Scouse scum.

JNugent

non lue,
27 avr. 2016, 10:10:5527/04/2016
'...The continuous body of salt water that covers the greater part of
the earth's surface....' (OED Online, accessed 27 April 2016)

1. Where is the term "liquid" in that definition?

2. Are you under the impression that when water freezes, it changes into
another substance?

3. Do you believe that when the sea freezes over (as it sometimes does),
it freezes all the way down to the sea-bed?

Anthony 'Piss_Taker' Janssen

non lue,
27 avr. 2016, 10:16:0227/04/2016
Go and buy yourself a thesaurus, you thick cunt.

> 2. Are you under the impression that when water freezes, it changes into
> another substance?
>
> 3. Do you believe that when the sea freezes over (as it sometimes does),
> it freezes all the way down to the sea-bed?

Do you believe that Mr Bushby walks on water?

JNugent

non lue,
27 avr. 2016, 10:18:4127/04/2016
Are you under the mistaken impression that water (or even "salt water")
only exists in its liquid form?

>> 2. Are you under the impression that when water freezes, it changes into
>> another substance?

>> 3. Do you believe that when the sea freezes over (as it sometimes does),
>> it freezes all the way down to the sea-bed?

> Do you believe that Mr Bushby walks on water?

Anyone who walks on ice walks on water.

Perhaps one should not be surprised that you didn't know that.

Anthony 'Piss_Taker' Janssen

non lue,
27 avr. 2016, 10:26:0327/04/2016
Aaaand, *plink* ... our Scouse spag loses another one.

Thanks for that. That was even easier than the 'legal' drubbings you've
suffered at my hands.

JNugent

non lue,
27 avr. 2016, 10:44:0127/04/2016
On 27/04/2016 15:24, Anthony 'Piss_Taker' Janssen wrote:

> JNugent <jenni...@fastmail.fm> wrote:
>> On 27/04/2016 15:15, Anthony 'Piss_Taker' Janssen wrote:

>>> Do you believe that Mr Bushby walks on water?

>> Anyone who walks on ice walks on water.
>> Perhaps one should not be surprised that you didn't know that.

> Aaaand, *plink* ... our Scouse spag loses another one.

> Thanks for that. That was even easier than the 'legal' drubbings you've
> suffered at my hands.

You are weird.

Peter Parry

non lue,
27 avr. 2016, 12:19:4627/04/2016
On Wed, 27 Apr 2016 01:02:38 -0700 (PDT), Alycidon
<swld...@gmail.com> wrote:

>There is a guy from my home city who is travelling from Chile to Hull, UK with no motors involved or sea crossings.

How did he get to Berlin and Mexico? Not to mention from Alaska to
the USA?

JNugent

non lue,
27 avr. 2016, 12:25:2427/04/2016
On 27/04/2016 17:19, Peter Parry wrote:

> Alycidon <swld...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> There is a guy from my home city who is travelling from Chile to Hull, UK with no motors involved or sea crossings.

> How did he get to Berlin and Mexico? Not to mention from Alaska to
> the USA?

Apparently, sea crossings don't count if the body of water is frozen
over and he's going to enlist the aid of this gentleman:

<http://www.comicbookresources.com/imgsrv/imglib/600/300/1/Batman-121-freeze-4dd0a.jpg>

Alycidon

non lue,
27 avr. 2016, 13:05:2127/04/2016

JNugent

non lue,
27 avr. 2016, 13:09:2327/04/2016

Peter Parry

non lue,
27 avr. 2016, 13:29:1327/04/2016
On Wed, 27 Apr 2016 10:05:19 -0700 (PDT), Alycidon
<swld...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Wednesday, 27 April 2016 17:19:46 UTC+1, Peter Parry wrote:
>> On Wed, 27 Apr 2016 01:02:38 -0700 (PDT), Alycidon
>> <swld...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> >There is a guy from my home city who is travelling from Chile to Hull, UK with no motors involved or sea crossings.

>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_Bushby#/media/File:Goliatexpeditionmap.jpg

Yes - but that doesn't show his trip from Alaska to Washington or from
the USA to Berlin (where he spent part of 2014/15) or from Alaska to
Mexico or to Columbia. Wasn't one of those airoplane things involved?

Alycidon

non lue,
27 avr. 2016, 13:39:3727/04/2016
The walk itself involves no motors/engines otherwise I doubt if it would get ratified.

I accept that Two Jags Prescott may have used his car when getting Roman Abramovich to let Karl into his Siberian manor.

The salient point is that it /is/ possible to walk from the USA to the UK.

Peter Parry

non lue,
27 avr. 2016, 13:50:1127/04/2016
On Wed, 27 Apr 2016 10:39:36 -0700 (PDT), Alycidon
<swld...@gmail.com> wrote:

>The salient point is that it /is/ possible to walk from the USA to the UK.

It is possible to drive around the world, hundreds of people have
done it.

JNugent

non lue,
27 avr. 2016, 14:47:4027/04/2016
Even taking the (very) long way round would require - at a minimum - the
crossing of the English Channel.

Was this cyclist born of a virgin?

Peter Parry

non lue,
27 avr. 2016, 17:07:2327/04/2016
On Wed, 27 Apr 2016 19:47:34 +0100, JNugent <jenni...@fastmail.fm>
wrote:

>Even taking the (very) long way round would require - at a minimum - the
>crossing of the English Channel.
>
>Was this cyclist born of a virgin?

Apparently he hopes to cycle through the maintenance tunnel of the
Channel Tunnel.

JNugent

non lue,
27 avr. 2016, 18:37:1227/04/2016
Does he really believe that even if he were allowed to do that, it would
mean that he hadn't crossed the English Channel?

It's a bit of innovative thinking, innit?

According to his thinking, you can use the Dartford Crossing north to
south and you've crossed the Thames (on a bridge).

Cross at Dartford south to north and you have not crossed the Thames
(because you're in a tunnel).

Anthony 'Piss_Taker' Janssen

non lue,
28 avr. 2016, 04:54:0328/04/2016
JNugent <jenni...@fastmail.fm> wrote:
> On 27/04/2016 17:19, Peter Parry wrote:
>> Alycidon <swld...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> There is a guy from my home city who is travelling from Chile to Hull,
>>> UK with no motors involved or sea crossings.

>> How did he get to Berlin and Mexico? Not to mention from Alaska to the
>> USA?

> Apparently, sea crossings don't count if the body of water is frozen over

Apparently, the gentleman walks on water.

Anthony 'Piss_Taker' Janssen

non lue,
28 avr. 2016, 10:10:0328/04/2016
According to thicko troll's 'thinking', if you walk under the Thames via
one of the tunnels, you have walked on water.

JNugent

non lue,
28 avr. 2016, 10:12:5728/04/2016
On 28/04/2016 15:09, Anthony 'Piss_Taker' Janssen wrote:
> JNugent <jenni...@fastmail.fm> wrote:
>> On 27/04/2016 22:07, Peter Parry wrote:

>>> Apparently he hopes to cycle through the maintenance tunnel of the
>>> Channel Tunnel.
>>
>> Does he really believe that even if he were allowed to do that, it would
>> mean that he hadn't crossed the English Channel?
>>
>> It's a bit of innovative thinking, innit?
>>
>> According to his thinking, you can use the Dartford Crossing north to
>> south and you've crossed the Thames (on a bridge).
>>
>> Cross at Dartford south to north and you have not crossed the Thames
>> (because you're in a tunnel).
>
> According to thicko troll's 'thinking', if you walk under the Thames via
> one of the tunnels, you have walked on water.

You're the one who insisted that if you cross a sea, you haven't done a
sea crossing, aren't you?

Anthony 'Piss_Taker' Janssen

non lue,
29 avr. 2016, 04:38:0329/04/2016
Since when was 'the sea' solid, thicko?

JNugent

non lue,
29 avr. 2016, 06:10:1229/04/2016
On 29/04/2016 09:37, Anthony 'Piss_Taker' Janssen wrote:
> JNugent <jenni...@fastmail.fm> wrote:

>>> According to thicko troll's 'thinking', if you walk under the Thames via
>>> one of the tunnels, you have walked on water.
>>
>> You're the one who insisted that if you cross a sea, you haven't done a
>> sea crossing, aren't you?
>
> Since when was 'the sea' solid, thicko?

That HAS to be your proposition. You are, after all, the one who claimed
that there is no sea crossing if if the sea is frozen over.

Anthony 'Piss_Taker' Janssen

non lue,
29 avr. 2016, 06:21:2429/04/2016
Look, I've already corrected your English about forty times over the past
two or three months. I'm having a few weeks off.
0 nouveau message